Potato Results - 2009

• 238 Replies

Knulpuk

Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2009, 15:31 »
Had out best yield ever - from a section of "virgin" plot created when we moved our shed:

Accent, Desiree and Pink fir all good size and without any slug damage at all.

Pink Fir are a B*gger to dig up though!

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2009, 16:08 »
Must agree with' lovemyvedge ' international kidney..left in a little longer than wise to
have gone brown, slug marks and now sacked up...seem to be going off rappidly.
Agree must if grown next year lift earlier...
Anyone need a sack full of semi-rotten spuds...free to collector......sick of tipping them out and sorting them...the smell!!!! ;) ;) ;)

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2009, 16:34 »
Lovemyveg - yes they were planted 20 inches deep - because I dont have time to earth up - it really worked so I will carry on doing that.  I copied the idea off others on my site

Mum - Im definately going to try Vivaldi again, everyone tells me what fab spuds they are.  Its the earthing up with straw that was the problem, I wont do that again.  I think Ill do two beds of KE and 1 of vivaldi next year.

This was so much fun!

Thanks Peapod for the information on the deep trenches, I shall give this a try next year, anything that saves time.  Even with earthing up, some of my Anya potatoes "ends" were green.

peterjf

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2009, 23:15 »
rocket = rename them to big slug feast

maris piper = a few slugs and scab

going back to charlotte and kestrel next year

bradberry

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2009, 22:02 »
I've had a very good crop this year:

Red Duke of York - excellent crop, no slug damage, but had to be careful to boil them slowly or to steam them as they tended to break up.

Charlotte - excellent crop, some quite large, one or two slug damaged but I think they were left in the ground a bit too long as I was on holiday.

Marfona - very good crop so far.

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2009, 12:35 »
My daughter grew one Wilja in a bin for our allotment potato competition and she is currently in the lead as it produced a weight of 6lb 8oz.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2009, 19:40 »
1st Earlies - Arran Pilot - reasonable yields given that I rarely earthed, huge range of sizes from tiddly 'new' to baking size. Reasonably tasty although not a fabulous as I'd been led to believe (maybe it's me  :tongue2:), no slug or other damage, slight scab from early hot weather.

2nd Earlies (in tubs) - Charlotte - not dug up yet although something has completely eaten the the foliage. Not hopeful.

Main - Desiree, looking good so hopeful of a decent crop. Planning on try to store for the first time.

I also grew some 1st earlies in a tub in the garden, freebies from the allotment association. They were a red organic variety but I've lost the label. I'll try and find out what they were because they were lovely  :D.

Desiree update - looks like it was blight as others on the site are looking poorly. Removing the haulms worked however, tubers are OK, although quite a bit of slug damage. Held their shape well in the slow cooker today and tasted delicious :D.
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2009, 22:21 »
I have now lifted my last spuds so here are my thoughts, Ulster Sceptre heavy crop of good tasting earlies, Sharpes Express medium crop good taste, International Kidney some plants cropped well others next to the good ones did not have a spud larger than a marble so i am baffled by that one nice flavour as well.
Catriona medium crop of spuds with a nice flavour, Edzell Blue heavy crop of good tasting potato but awkward shape.
Druid small crop of medium sized spuds, Sarpo Mira medium crop of rather flat large spuds and finally Arran Victory massive yield of large tubours ( one row of 1kg seed produced 70lb of spuds ) I have not tasted any of the main crops yet.

None of the spuds were grown in the soil as they were grown on top of the soil and covered in well rotted farm yard manure and more manure applied as they grew up.

Paul Plots

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2009, 23:55 »
From four long rows grown:

1 spud nibbled at by a slug
10 with small wireworm holes
3 nicked with the fork

Best result for last three years.  :)

Charlottes - very good (not grown them before)
Rocket - also very good results (not grown those before either)
Cara - good weight per plant (and only the 10 with a little wireworm damage)
Wija - also good crop

Will increase 1st earlies next year...looking forward to the taste already!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

diggerjoe

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2009, 14:50 »
Dug up top two rows of Picasso at the weekend. Very pleased.  Minor slug damage a few holes but very big, perfect for bakers and the yield from two 6ft rows was one large shopping trolley and a tesco bag  filled to the brim and it weighed a ton pulling it back up the hill to get home! Still Druid, Markies and more Vivaldi to harvest.

Lillian

« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2009, 16:48 »
Lillian.
First year with an allotment with daughter. Whole area covered in 6ft weeds plus rubbish!! Once semi -cleared, planted an "Allotment Pack"from T&M. Results: "Orla and Lady Christl" both 1st earlies were prone to slugs  but the taste and yield were good.
"Kestral" as others have found them - brilliant. Will grow again next year.
Looking forward to more digging to see if "Lady Balfour" - "Sante" and "Cara" will be as good.
We have bought paper potato bags for storage - 12.5 kg. Anyone had experience of them.

penance

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2009, 19:04 »

King eds - small but tasty crop.

Disiree - mahoosive spuds but covered in scab.

Paul Plots

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2009, 23:42 »
Lillian.
We have bought paper potato bags for storage - 12.5 kg. Anyone had experience of them.

I'm trying a saved paper spud bag for the first time this year.... but think I'd sooner use hessian bags as the weeve lets in some cool air. I bought "mis-print" potato sacks from an Ebay supplier last year.... worked out a geat deal cheaper than buying from a seed merchant. The mis-print was not in English and who cares what the bag says as long as it does its job - and they do!  ;) 
(Paper-bag used as I needed and extra one!!)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2009, 06:24 »
Ambo up - good crop some big spuds, but some slug holes.

Picasso coming up, not quite the yield of Ambo, but less holes.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2009, 12:25 »
Ambo up - good crop some big spuds, but some slug holes.

Picasso coming up, not quite the yield of Ambo, but less holes.

Last year I found Picasso gave me a really hefty crop - biggest suds I had ever grown.

Not heard of Ambo...

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 27 queries.