Potato Results - 2009

• 238 Replies

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2009, 10:09 »
Hi.  I think you might be talking about International Kidney?  If you search for that in the forums you will find quite a few threads on it... :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2009, 10:40 »
Again a late lifter due to the weather but worth the wait. I am not 100% sure what they are because my allotment shop said they were Jersey royals( in all but name) first and second earlies. Both are heavy croppers and appear to be storing well. My wife suggested we 'grade' them by size for storage, sensible really otherwise the smaller ones get lost at the bottom of the bag. I have acquired a few paper sacks but find the reuseable Iceland and Wilkinsons fabric carrier bags make good storage bags.

Can anyone tell me the proper name because the allotment shop said something about being called 'international' because the EU have stopped the use of Jersey.

The name is International Kidney
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 20:23 by lovemyveg »

hubballi

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2009, 11:14 »
I grew second early Maris Peer and had some in the ground and others in bags. Not a great yield but no damage. The harvest from the front of the border was ok but anything behind was very very few. The plants were eaten quite a bit and the foliage was yellowing.

I have pulled one plant from a bag and it wasn't too bad. Slugs get in the bag and eat the foliage. I fed them on seaweed.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2009, 20:07 »
1st year. soil is bad, a lot of clay.

early,
kestrel, yield about six potatoes, good size. no slug damage

red duke of york, yield about 10, small size, no slug damage, as new potatoes lovely very sweet.
aran pilot, yield not sure, good size. no slug damage.

2nd early,
wilja, yield very high 20-25, good size, horrific damage by slugs, eel worm and normal worms.
few survived un damaged.

did other people have horrific damage to their wilja spuds????????

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2009, 00:48 »
We have raised beds and mix of clay and well rotted manure.
Results:

Earlies - Rocket. Hopeless crop. Never again. 12 potatoes from 4 plants.
Salad - Pommes Rattes. Brilliant mega crop. (Does anyone know if they store??)
Lates - Vivaldi. Not eaten many, but they're a very versatile potato. We have plenty for winter!

diggerjoe

« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2009, 08:41 »
At the weekend lited two 8ft rows of sante very good yield not sure of weight but filled two of those really big tesco reusable bags. No scab but wireworm damage on some - mix of sizes some really big but most medium. Lifted three 6 ft rows of Vivaldi on ground that was not really prepared as it was rubbish heap previously but not as good as sante about one half tesco bags worth. Moulin Rouge grown in bag very poor about 16 spuds in all although size was not bad taste ok but has a bitter metallic aftertaste will not bother with these next year. Still plenty to lift looking forward to trying druid coming weekend.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2009, 13:43 »
Have to add Majestic maincrops to the recommended list -- just furtled up three to see how they are getting on:

one weighs 400g and the other two are just under 300g each --- WOWEEEE!!!! NO scabby bits either.

Will certainly grow these again -- truly Majestic  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tode

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2009, 17:32 »
RATTES spuds: considered to be the "gourmet" potato over here: used in the best restaurants  ;)
They keep well, but usually only produse about 1/2 of, say, Charlotte.
V. good salad or fried.

cornykev

« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2009, 18:37 »
Rocket, the first out of the ground were lovely boiled and a fairly good crop, but the later they stayed in then the taste wasn't so good and got some slug damage. Note to myself not too many 1st earlies next year.

Lady Christl, not bad tasting, smaller crop and no slug damage.

Kestrel, only dug up one plant so far, large spuds with no slug damage.

Ratte still in the ground.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2009, 17:14 »
King Edwards in ground well manured and leaf mulched.  Planted in 20" trenches and didnt earth up .  Absolutely delighted with them.  Ive got two huge hessian sacks full - plenty for months

Vivaldi - tiny and hardly any
PFA - OK for free - half a large carrier bag ful
Both V and PFA were planted in bins - 5 to a bin . Whoever said they can be earthed up with straw is lying!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2009, 19:38 »
King Edwards in ground well manured and leaf mulched.  Planted in 20" trenches and didnt earth up .  Absolutely delighted with them.  Ive got two huge hessian sacks full - plenty for months

Both V and PFA were planted in bins - 5 to a bin . Whoever said they can be earthed up with straw is lying!

When you say the King Edwards were in 20" trenches, is this the depth.  Great if you dont need to earth up.

lozenge

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2009, 19:54 »
Aran victory - recommended by Heston Blumenthal for chips, and indeed they make the best home-made chips I've ever tasted.

(bit of scab, no slug damage, yield variable - good big tubers on some plants and small ones on others)

and they're bright purple.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2009, 20:18 »
Peapod you really could vivaldi again, but in the earth.......8 out of my pk of 10 went in the earth and the yield was good and they tasted lovely and some were big enough for jkts, but the odd 2 seed that i put in a tub didn't do very well, either. :(

tode

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2009, 21:06 »
Lozenge, Madame made some chips with our Charlottes tonoght, and they were the chippiest chips you could chip  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2009, 14:09 »
Lovemyveg - yes they were planted 20 inches deep - because I dont have time to earth up - it really worked so I will carry on doing that.  I copied the idea off others on my site

Mum - Im definately going to try Vivaldi again, everyone tells me what fab spuds they are.  Its the earthing up with straw that was the problem, I wont do that again.  I think Ill do two beds of KE and 1 of vivaldi next year.

This was so much fun!

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 38 queries.