supplies for 2009

• 14 Replies

garddwr

supplies for 2009
« on: December 15, 2008, 17:49 »
I am planning my list of things I need to get for 2009 season and I am trying to do it with £60-to include all equipment,seeds,compost e.t.c.

This is the list so far:

Compost
Seed Trays
Fertiliser
Pots
Fleece
Support Canes
Twine
Seeds*important !
Seed Potatoes*important !
Netting
Tomato Liquid Feed(also for cucumber,peppers,aubergine ?)

Any help to add to the list and maybe an idea of how much it will cost.

Christine

supplies for 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 18:11 »
May I please ask a few questions?

How big is your growing space? The cost of your seeds depends on the space you have, how many times you are going to fill up a space once you have cleared a crop and the number of mouths you wish to feed.

Do you have access to some form of manure for helping your soil along? Or is your compost for that? How much will you need to keep the soil in good heart all season?

I've seed trays, canes and netting fit to use from last year so are you sure you need new ones? Surely you didn't wreck everything?

What about plant labels of some sort so that you have some idea of where you have planted things? Now those - like seeds - are something that seem to need regular replacement.

You haven't costed in sharpening of tools (shears, penknife and other cutting implements).

Can't advise you on cost without more knowledge :) I reckon on my rather large (double allotment) plot I can use nearly your budget in seeds alone in a season (feeding two households).

garddwr

supplies for 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 18:25 »
This year I had a small plot in the garden but 2009 I'm going to rotavate in the field opisite my house and this year I didn't buy much of anything equipment wise becuase I only grew some spuds and carrots, but I had most of the tools a spade and a fork and and I live next to a farm so I have plenty of manure for free

Jen

• Experienced Member
supplies for 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 19:28 »
you can pick up trays and pots of all shapes
and sizes for nothing outside B/Q and H/Base
and don't forget to look in skips,  8)   have found
netting and wire mesh just right for pea support
and cover for greens.       :D  :D

jen

garddwr

supplies for 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 21:02 »
I haven't seen any of theese bins and things out side our b/q h/base ? Maybe I miss them,are they in the garden section ?

DIGGER

supplies for 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 21:03 »
Quote from: "garddwr"
I haven't seen any of theese bins and things out side our b/q h/base ? Maybe I miss them,are they in the garden section ?

Usually near the bottle bank

Elcie

supplies for 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 21:09 »
Quote from: "DIGGER"

Usually near the bottle bank

Our local garden centres also have something similar, although perhaps on a smaller scale, near the tills.  You can pick up pots and trays there for nothing too.

I have also started saving things from the kitchen for use as trays.  Small tomato trays, mushroom trays and yoghurt pots are in my pile at the moment!

garddwr

supplies for 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 21:45 »
Thanks I'll have a look,I think my best bet is by the glass banks.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
supplies for 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 22:28 »
Ditto with the pots, if they are to start things off then use anything from the leftover veg trays from the supermarkets, litter trays a la DD will work, and buy polystyrene/plastic cups (sorry green people) from the pound shop and put drainage holes in. You may only need a smallbag of compost (about a fiver from B&Q or focus etc) as Im assuming again you are only starting off as you have a plot (YAY!)
Canes are also to be had cheaply if you look around (pound shop again), tom food cheap as chips from wilkos, fertiliser not too essential yet as you have free manure and the land hasnt been used for growing recently, but chicken poo is cheap from wilkos. Twine again about a quid, or unravel an old wooly jumper. Labels can be made from an old blind if you have one.
Spend the cash on the spuds and the seeds, but for £60 you may be struggling to get those plus netting if you have to buy it. See if your local scaffolders want to get rid of any cheaply  :D

Can you tell my fave shops yet  :D

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

compostqueen

supplies for 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 23:27 »

If your budget is seriously stretched do you really need fertiliser?  You could get free poop from the stables.  I used comfrey leaf and liquid to feed my veggies rather than bought fertiliser.

slugtrap

supplies for 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:34 »
If you are on a really tight budget how about swapping your extra seeds with a mate? Works well with those extra potatoes, tomatoes, beans or courgettes.
Grow some extras and sell them for 30-50p a plant - 4 plants pays for a new packet of seed. Also collect seed from plants that have gone to seed at the end of the season.
Make seed boxes out of old wooden pallets - I'm off to find some this morning! Also collect your old loo rolls as they make great root trainers for your beans which you can plant whole into the ground as the cardboard rots away.

mikem

• Experienced Member
supplies for 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:39 »
I know that the following would be a good chunk out of your money but they are a lot cheaper than I can get locally through a garden centre although Freecycle would be much better!  Try:-

http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/recno/4/Bamboo-Canes-PRDR-BCANE/

100 three foot bamboo canes for £5.89 but with postage and VAT it will cost £10.88. Worth it in my opinion if you buy a few more things as well so that the postage charge evens out a bit.

Vember

supplies for 2009
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 10:15 »
I haven't seen any of these bins and things out side our b/q h/base ? Maybe I miss them,are they in the garden section ?

They sometimes have a few pots & trays near the exit door at Holland Arms, Garddwr. Great excuse for a coffee & a very scrummy cake  :lol:

Sarah :)

compostqueen

supplies for 2009
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:21 »
Also do try your local allotment shop, better still become a member, you don't need to be a lotty holder  :D

Seed swopping is the bees knees, and you can do that by Freecycle as well. Plus you get to meet like-minded folks and then you can swop plants too.  

If I have pots and trays etc I always offer them on Freecycle - no need to send them to landfill these days

garddwr

supplies for 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 16:21 »
Quote from: "Vember"
I haven't seen any of these bins and things out side our b/q h/base ? Maybe I miss them,are they in the garden section ?

They sometimes have a few pots & trays near the exit door at Holland Arms, Garddwr. Great excuse for a coffee & a very scrummy cake  :lol:

Sarah :)

Thanks Sarah,I never buy anything there as it is too expensive but  I do go for a look and a cup of tea and cake as you said  :D . So I'll have a look next time I'm there.

xx
Where do you buy your gardening supplies?

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 15:43
by mumofstig
xx
Seed potatoes supplies

Started by Bm1 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2023, 13:04
by Grubbypaws
xx
Alternative supplies of sand?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 07:25
by Swing Swang
xx
Seaweed meal supplies?

Started by conteasy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 15:04
by conteasy

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 31 queries.