Potato Results - 2009

• 238 Replies

bluealf

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 08:17 »
Also my first year, on a clay soil.

Charlottes = planted as a 1st early and i am still eating from them, brilliant.
no damage and a lovelly taste when boiled but liable to burst if over boiled.

Kestral = High yielding and lovely boiled mashed or roasted (i am giving loads away to family as i am still eating the above  ::))

Maris piper = dont know i still have anabundance of the above  :tongue2:

Also one row of the free ones we all got i think they where Hunter's and i have yet to try them yet.

I will edit as soon as i have tried them.
Carlisle

Ropster

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 10:02 »
international kidney, good yield loverly potatoes
Hunter, plants just dropped down dead one weekend, some small but tasty pots under the plants
halequin and desiree not dug yet
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 16:27 by DD. »

purplejaguar

• Experienced Member
  • I would love some Ducks one day :)
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009, 12:17 »
Charlotte - good crop this year with good sized potatoes and very tasty!

Maris Piper - good crop this year with good sized potatoes, the best imho for making chips  ;).
Chinese Proverb - Man who puts Meat and Peas in same pot, very unhygenic!! ;o)

beansticks

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 20:59 »
1st earlies- Pentland javelins,excellent yield and quality
Charlottes-reliable as ever.
2nd earlies/early maincrop,Estima,never grown before,well impressed excellent cropper.

Diggerpete

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 22:13 »
My first earlies are Pentland Javelin, good crop and tasty, but not as good as Arron Pilot.
Charlotte  is my next spud and they are really tasty; I will store the bigger ones for over winter. My main are Majestic  and Merlin  never grown either before so I am waiting in anticipation.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 08:33 »
I've had a really good crop from almost all the varieties I planted on clay but not too heavy soil which I manured before planting. I also covered the soil with mustard plants before the spuds started putting out foliage, carefully dug it in before it got too big & pulled out any strays, don't know whether this helped or hindered but I've had almost no pest damage, I gave it one application of nematodes too.

Aran Pilot, really good crop with some enormous spuds
Pentland Javelin good crop not huge spuds & one spud was completely melted in the middle, just turned to stinking liquid so I'll be keeping an eye on the ones that are stored but it was only 1 out of a sack full
Kestrel again really good crop, 2 big sacks full with some big spuds too
Maris Bard was a poor crop compared to the others & the only one with slug damage. Had a carrier bag of damaged ones which will be cooked for the dogs, they dissolve very easily into the water too, don't think I'll plant it again
Duke of York was a good crop too
Home Guard was another good cropper
Can't comment about taste yet as I keep forgetting what I'm cooking, the only one that I can say for sure is Pink Fir Apple, only dug up one plant so far, not many tubers under it but they tasted wonderful

Livifisherman

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2009, 08:34 »
Belle De Fontenay - grown in container.  Very clean, good looking salad potato, wonderful flavour, not a huge yeild, but what the heck.  Grew them esspecially for a pre-wedding BBQ and they went down a treat!

Lee1978

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 16:25 »
Kestrel - grown in the ground which had been well manured previous to planting, good sized spud and very clean with an impressive yeild.

Vivaldi - grown in bags by the boss woman, very impressed for first year, lovely clean spud with a good yeild. i will be trying this variety next year in the ground ;)

Lee

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 13:51 »
All my spuds were grown in raised beds with comfrey fertilisation (leaves in trench initially then stems laid down by plants before earthing up)

1st earlies
Arran pilot-plant start of April lost 4 out of 20 from blackleg, survivors gave nice flavoured new spuds (9 weeks) and later giving monsters (3kg+ per plant) that bake well. No slug or eelworm, very little scab.

2nd earlies
Kestrel-planted start of april, very nice baked, mid sized spuds from 1 plant I have dug up. Other plants are still growing vigorously so seeing if I can get bigger yields from them.  No slug or eelworm, some scab, so far

Shetland black- planted late april, foliage all died after 14 weeks from pulled plants about 1.5-2kg per plant but many small barely useable spuds. Taste A+ but very, very similar to arran victory that I grew last year that gave smaller yields by weight but more useable spuds.  Some eelworm damage and many spuds scabbed (some minor, some heavy).
Also grew well in 15l flower buckets

Vivaldi-freebies planted early may, foliage has virtually all died down in 12 weeks which is a bit quick for a second early/early maincrop, especially compared to other 2 varieties. Despite this, the one plant I pulled up gave 2.5kg of spuds-bigger than kestrel and tasty boiled. No slug or eelworm or scab, so far

Maincrop
Pink fir apple- planted late april, still growing in ground and flower bucket

smud6ie

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 16:20 »
Main crop : Desiree and King Edward...in flower and all gone down with blight >:(

smud6ie
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 16:27 by DD. »

bb_odiham

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2009, 18:56 »
First earlies, accent - got about 12.5kg and they are absolutely loverly!
Dug them up 5th July and we still have about 2kg left, so it's over a months worth of spuds from 10 plants on a 6' x 4' plot
They were planted mid-april.
Absolutely excellent boiled, not so good roasted or baked, make reasonable mash. Obviously, being first earlies, boiling is the best.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bb_matt/3690727326/

Second earlies, Estima, got 18kg, just dug up today!
They were planted mid-april.
Got loads of *massive* baking potatoes, can't wait to get stuck into a few of those!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bb_matt/3785777812/sizes/l/

Only about three or four had been munched by slugs, as I'd been fairly vigilant this year.

My main crop I'm worried about - decided to risk King Edwards as I love them so much. I'm going to haul up a few spuds this weekend to check for blight, as the plants have started dying. If all looks fine, another sprinkle of slug pellets and 2 or 3 weeks further growth, check again etc.
If not, I may have to haul them all up early :(

I really shoulda kept an eye on those, as I think they possibly got blight on plants from leaving my Estima in the ground too long - not really sure. They are noted for getting blight, but I just can't resist the nutty yummy flavour.

I've done reasonably well, as this was new ground (dug from where a shed once was) - loads of rubble in the ground. The spuds helped push lots of stones to the surface, so for the second early and late plots I'm just going to dig over, remove more stones, dig in compost and not grow anything more. Where the first earlies were, I've planted pumkin and dwarf bean. The snails are loving it :(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 19:04 by bb_odiham »
Jack of all trades, master of none.

daveypark

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 19:31 »
Okey dokey, soil is slightly clayey, slightly sandy loamy stuff.

First earlies,
Winston. Big tubers no damage at all.
Oriana. Good spud, usable size, no damage.
Second earlies,
Kestrel, love this spud and grow it every year, very little slug damage.
Marfona, huge spuds which suffered from slug damage near the path (60%) but good in the middle of plot, some holes from something small, round and irritating.
Main crop (iirc)
Mozart, little holes but otherwise good, not as damaged as Marfona.
Cecile, good clean spud but were planted under a tree, ground was dry and tubers small consequently.
Touch wood have missed the blight despite lots of warnings from Blightwatch.  :)

Debz

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 09:43 »
Both of my varieties have been grown in pots because I don't have an allotment or a great deal of garden space.

Earlies:  Epicure.  Only just picked them so a little on the large side for "new" potatoes.  Yield not massive but down to lack of care on my part.  They taste gorgeous, like I imagine proper new potatoes should, have a nice firm flesh but the skins came off in cooking.  Even my father commented on the taste and he normally just swallows everthing without noticing!  Will probably grow this one again next year.

Main:  Desiree.  Same conditions as Epicure.  Skins also came off in the cooking but a fine tasty potato.  One or two were a little scabby but no complaints about either variety.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2009, 10:15 »
1st Earlies - Arran Pilot - reasonable yields given that I rarely earthed, huge range of sizes from tiddly 'new' to baking size. Reasonably tasty although not a fabulous as I'd been led to believe (maybe it's me  :tongue2:), no slug or other damage, slight scab from early hot weather.

2nd Earlies (in tubs) - Charlotte - not dug up yet although something has completely eaten the the foliage. Not hopeful.

Main - Desiree, looking good so hopeful of a decent crop. Planning on try to store for the first time.

I also grew some 1st earlies in a tub in the garden, freebies from the allotment association. They were a red organic variety but I've lost the label. I'll try and find out what they were because they were lovely  :D.
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 13:13 »
Soil here is clay. Only did Kestrel as second earlies this year. Excellent crop, no damage from slugs or wireworms but had to lift slightly early due to blight. Still a good yield from this variety.

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 38 queries.