Compost Question

• 4 Replies

Mrs Gumage

Compost Question
« on: March 20, 2007, 14:54 »
Sorry - I'm sure this has probably been asked before - I've tried to hunt down the answer and can't find it.

I have a black plastic compost bin at the bottom of my garden and haven't really used it over the winter cos my garden is soooo long and I'm sooo lazy!  I've just been down for the first time this year to add some stuff and found half a dozen plants/things growing in there.  I think 2 are onion plants and the rest may be blackberry brambles escaped from next door.

Any hints or tips about what I should do and how to prevent more things growing in there?  :?

Thanks

Anne

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Compost Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 15:05 »
Its always good practice to turn the heap over every so often to get oxygen in, when doing this you can remove the offending plants. I use the plastic ones at home and use a smaller fork to get in and turn over its not that hard.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

milkman

Compost Question
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 15:05 »
Move the bin closer to the house  :)  filling it up shouldn't be a chore, so make it easier and less bother!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Mrs Gumage

Compost Question
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 16:03 »
Thanks!  

I will definately get a fork in there, but we have nowhere near the house to move it to and it would be near where we sit and smelly in the summer so I'll swerve that idea!  :lol:

Suppose the fact that things are growing in there is a good sign that I'm producing something quite fertile!  :D

muntjac

Compost Question
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 22:33 »
place it on the soil with a split bin liner on the ground .fill it at will with whatever green waste u can get hold of .if you have a council grass cutter  on the greens near you just collect a buccket full every time they mopw .dont over do it tho or it will turn soggy andn yuck .add bits from the kitchen cut flowers ur given  prunings from soft plants .if you have nieghbours that the kids have rabbits or other pets use that in the bin as well basically  grab what ya can from family and friends  :wink: then graduate onto a compost pile
still alive /............

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
compost question

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2015, 12:33
by compostqueen
xx
compost question

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 10:33
by simbamara
xx
compost question

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 12:02
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 36 queries.