compost question

• 7 Replies

Chrysalis

compost question
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:46 »
Hi.  I was wondering if I could put fresh manure into my dalek composter to speed up the process?  Only a small bag at a time!

My other option is to have some delivered, but it mean 4 tonnes!!  If I could get a few small bags and pop them into the dalek, I could manage it better..
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: compost question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:58 »
Absolutely fine, although presumably not the most cost-effective way of buying the manure.

It will help with the decomposition of anything else that's in the dalek, especially if you give it a stir from time to time.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 13:22 »
Sounds ok to me. Only point to remember would be to give it enough time to become well rotted.

HH
Keep digging

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 18:59 »
Thanks, Guys....

I was hoping to pop round to a friendly horse owner and liberate some muck without having to buy it in big bags.  Will have to do some serious shmoozing, but maybe worth it for better compost. ;)

With the weather having been cold up until today the compost bins are working very slowly, so I hope the muck will speed it up a little.  The other alternative is to lay out for a hotbin....Now that will be expensive and I'd have to remember to feed it. (reminds me of those tamagochi thing in the 90s!)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 19:11 »
Put your compo bin in full sun.  You don't need to add any fancy additives to the bin.  Muck will get it fired up if you get it in the sun  :D

Chrysalis

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 19:27 »
Sun? I seem to have heard of it, but not seen much this year.....Better yesterday and today, o maybe things will improve.  Thanks for the advice.

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:23 »
the only reservation i would have is if your just using the droppings it may turn a bit soggy. see if you can get a bag of muck and a bag of bedding and add it 50/ 50.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 12:33 »
The droppings will dry out so I wouldn't worry.  Droppings usually arrive with the bedding too so I bung it all in

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
Compost question

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 10:35
by compostqueen
xx
Compost question

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 21:34
by SkipRat
xx
compost question

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 12:02
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.971 seconds with 37 queries.