compost question

• 4 Replies

prakash_mib

compost question
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:58 »
We have a compost bin at the plot and am religiously collecting the waste from home in chicken pellet tub to tip them into the bin everytime i visit. apart from chopped vegetables, egg shells, bit of tea there is nothing else to add. we dont have lawn so no mow clippings although i've asked my friend to give me a sack of second fine cutting when he mows. What else should i put to get a good compost. are the compost activators (sold everywhere) any good?
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

compostqueen

Re: compost question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:05 »
you don't need to buy compost activators and you can use your own pee  :D  Comfrey and nettles are also good activators.  A few grass mowings help to heat up the plastic compost bins, just added in thin layers. I dry mine out first by lying them on the ground (weather permitting of course  :D) I know you say you don't have mowings but somebody will have  :)  All your kitchen peelings, tea and coffee grounds make quite a lot of compost, don't forget washed out egg shells and fruit skins. You can use the hoover bag fluff if your carpets are wool, your own hair (if you have any  ;))  I like bits of cardboard as they soak up excess moisture, such as bits of egg box, bits of cereal box, newspaper (but not too much)  I put old flowers in my bin, chicken bedding and poops, old wool or cotton clothes (take the zips out first)  :)  If you use just kitchen stuff and omit any grass or weeds you can have a completely weed free compost, which cooks fast once the weather warms up. Make sure your bin is in a sunny spot  :)

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:17 »
you don't need to buy compost activators and you can use your own pee  :D 
I will be caught pants down in the open plot surrounded by 40 acre area of dog walkers. Will be a good exibition though  :tongue2:.
Thanks for the advice cq. will certainly follow the steps apart from the wee thingy... oh hang on!  i have a 4 year old and i suppose he might come to help  :lol:

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:07 »
You need a balance of greens and browns to get good compost. What you are adding is nearly all greens. So you need to add newspaper/cardboard/sawdust to get the mix.

Search for the 'compost mix calculator' and use your pellet tub as a unit of volume you can work out how much you need to add. Keep it damp and mix it well to get the air in.

With the right mixture you will get compost more quickly.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:02 »
the pee is really good stuff and will kick start your composting. You can wee in a pot and then add it, I didn't mean for you to add it directly (blush)  :D

Giving it a good stir, or emptying out into the barrow once in a while will certainly help matters. It's not vital but it will make it compost faster and it's really therapeutic. Honest  :tongue2:

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
compost question

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 16:05
by binner
xx
compost Question ?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 15:03
by Growster...
xx
compost question

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2015, 12:33
by compostqueen

Page created in 1.086 seconds with 36 queries.