Your worst weed?

• 90 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Your worst weed?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 18:53 »
I havent got sticky willy  :blink: ??? :D

But Ive just found out from this page http://www.letsgogardening.co.uk/Information/Weeds.htm that I also have creeping buttercup, so THATS the b*gger Ive been pulling out along with the docs! I also get a lot of hairy bittercress but I dont mind that because its easily got rid of

I really shouldnt have looked  ??? :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

MoreWhisky

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009, 19:32 »
I seem to get alot of dandelions on my plot  :mellow: i actually dont mind digging them up even tho ive not got to the bottom of one yet.

How deep do they go? and how quick does the root grow back to the surface?

I go down about 30cm before they seem to snap off and was wondering if that deep they will make it to the surface again this yr?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 07:13 »
Bad news Morewhisky - dandelions seem to regenerate from the smallest little bit of root, even a foot down. Big ones have a tap root over 18ins long. If you keep digging away every time it surfaces you will eventually win, but if you are nor totally organic a drop of glycophate does the trick
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

diggerjoe

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 08:22 »
apart from bindweed which rampages through my back garden - but next door trains it up his fence cause it has nice flowers >:( >:( Courtesy of next door I also have MINT :mad: :mad: It is the soft hairy type and grows at least 3foot high it is everywhere i spent last weekend digging up endless roots of the stuff and filled a bin bag. I have to look on the postive side it flowers and brings in loads of bees and it does make our green bin smell nice!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 10:55 »
Courtesy of next door I also have MINT :mad: :mad: It is the soft hairy type and grows at least 3foot high it is everywhere i spent last weekend digging up endless roots of the stuff and filled a bin bag. I have to look on the postive side it flowers and brings in loads of bees and it does make our green bin smell nice!

sounds like Pimm's o'clock to me!

diggerjoe

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 13:12 »
chin chin andreadon :)

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 16:54 »
Ongoing battle with cooch grass (I've got it on the run but if I turn my back...) but its docks that are enemy number one at the moment! >:(

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2009, 22:04 »
Bindweed covered my hedge on one side, which is not too bad but I have noticed that the roots seem to have reached the compost pile... That can't be good!!!  >:(

http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

Becci W

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2009, 20:33 »
Couch grass! I'm weeding in my sleep at the moment, still trying to clear the plot at the moment! I actually enjoy digging up the docks, it's really satisfying to finally get down deep enough to pull them out! :blink:

Coop-a-Cabana

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2009, 21:57 »
Hi hope no one minds me jumping in on this thread as a newbie but my worst weed and we are absolutely surround by the stuff is Japanese Knotweed!! 
Think the state of the Olympic Site and that will give you some idea of the extent of it!

The area that we have as veg plot is part of neighbours garden and the reason she let us have it was because she was sick of cutting the knotweed back every couple of months we have transformed it to have five raised beds and polytunnel and we have still managed to grow plenty of stuff these last couple of years  ::)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2009, 22:06 »
You arent jumping on the thread at all Coop,nice of you to post  :D

I dont envy you in the slightest with that one,when I started this thread it was because I saw thst ground elder seems to bethe bugbear this year, last year it was mares taill.

I think you win, (Im sorry to say  :( )
Great to hear you are growing though  :D

Coop-a-Cabana

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2009, 22:24 »
Thanks for that Peapod!!

Even though its an absolute nightmare we have to marvel at its survival skills :D  We have lined most of the beds with the black garden membrane stuff and although this wouldn't stop it, when we were clearing the site i dug out a childs bike and the knotweed had grown straight through the saddle :blink: it does tend to grow up the sides between the membrane and the edge of the bed so then we just pull it out from there but at least it doesn't then grow straight through the middle of the veg we find that it likes to take the path of least resistence  ::)

poultrygeist

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2009, 22:38 »
I think you win by a mile as havign the worst weed coop-a-cabana. :(

THere's been posts before on how to get rid. If you do a search, you may find some suggestions you hadn't thougth of.

Good luck with it.

Rob 8)

Coop-a-Cabana

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2009, 22:44 »
Thanks for that  I will have look and see what others suggest.

Even before we started growing veg we had searched for ways to get rid as our whole gardens are surround but somehow we manage to keep it out its as if it knows that if it grows in a certain place it is going to constantly get stopped so goes the other way I don't know if that makes sense :blink:

Later in the year i will post some pics of what we up against!!!

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 16:00 »
Hi hope no one minds me jumping in on this thread as a newbie but my worst weed and we are absolutely surround by the stuff is Japanese Knotweed!! 
Don't want to worry you but Japanese Knotweed is a 'notifiable weed' which as you have a duty to report to you local authority and a duty to control it.
Come to think of it that duty is incombent on the occupier of the land - is that you or your allotment association?
Anybody have experience of this? - could be a nightmare
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

xx
Your Best and Worst?

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:09
by diggerjoe
xx
Worst weeds

Started by Cavolo Hero on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 09, 2024, 18:15
by rowlandwells
xx
Is this one of the worst summers we have had???

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 08, 2007, 20:09
by mum of 3
thumbup
The worst beginner there ever was!

Started by Annielot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 19:11
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 37 queries.