Your worst weed?

• 90 Replies

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Re: Your worst weed?
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2009, 10:42 »
Groundsel
Dandelion
Bindweed (though has impoved since I took over the plot)
Some couch grass
Other grasses
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2009, 11:13 »
i have on my plots, couch grass loads of it though i hope to have under control in a few years, dock, dandelions,brambles,nettles, mares tail, forget me nots (now banished to run along the edge of the pallet fence as it looks quite nice) bindweed (though i actually put this to use last year as it did a good job of holding my plastic tent green house together) and few others i cant identify. but then i only took on the first plot last may and they had been neglected for years before that so its not to surprising really.

carrotboo

• My garden blog
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2009, 16:34 »
Docks and dandelions are at the moment,  the ground we have has been so neglected that they have had all the time in the world to seed.  Is there a good all round killer?

Can you eat that?

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2009, 16:59 »
'nother newbie  bouncing in :o)

Couch grass and bindweed have got to be my most hated weed, useless things.

alkenet , used to be used in the dying industry. I did once try and use it  from the garden, unfortunately I didn't manage  any thing close to the pale blue and lilac that I should have.  I couldn't even manage to persuade myself that the sludge brown had any merits. But I hate it less since I found  out about it's history.

Chick weed , can be eaten , I've got a bit hooked on pesto made from it. Ditto goose grass but I haven't had the courage to try it yet.

poultrygeist

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2009, 17:06 »
I think the alkanet used by dyers is Alkanna Tinctoria, also known as Dyer's Bugloss. Green Alkanet is just a pain but looks nice while it's flowering.

Rob 8)

Can you eat that?

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2009, 17:47 »
well that would explain why it didn't work :o))

Stripey_cat

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2009, 19:41 »
I'm starting the annual war of attrition against the bindweed coming in from next door.  The beds aren't too bad (last year's efforts are paying off), but the bit of gravel paving I was trying to pretend didn't exist[1] is a mess.  I was pulling up strings of roots yards long, with side branches.

[1] I hate gravel.  The previous house-owner clearly loved it (seriously, half the garden is a patio, and a good third of the rest is gravel, plus gravel mulch on the patio raised beds).  Last summer I tried to pretend the gravel bits weren't there, which resulted in them getting overgrown with weeds.  This year I'm trying to get rid of gravel and weeds with a riddle and a lot of hard labour.  The only thing keeping me going is the thought of how much garden I'll gain when I get rid of the car-park look.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2009, 20:31 »
Docks and dandelions are at the moment,  the ground we have has been so neglected that they have had all the time in the world to seed.  Is there a good all round killer?

Roundup or a stores own glyphosate based weedkiller works best, kills anything green but not the soil  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

farmersue

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2009, 20:44 »
I have marestail on my plot. Lots of it. I hate it with a passion and eliminating it has become an obsession with me. i have to confess i have been known to sacrifice the odd veg plant in my desire to remove all traces of the horrid stuff. Bonkers i know.   :wub:

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2009, 22:22 »
Went to the allotment this morning and cannot believe the amount of weeds that have sprouted in just 5 days!!  I was struggling to identify the seedlings from the weeds. Most hated has to be couch grass - horrible horrible horrible!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2009, 22:24 »
 :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Rubellite

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2009, 22:37 »

[1] I hate gravel.  The previous house-owner clearly loved it (seriously, half the garden is a patio, and a good third of the rest is gravel, plus gravel mulch on the patio raised beds).  Last summer I tried to pretend the gravel bits weren't there, which resulted in them getting overgrown with weeds.  This year I'm trying to get rid of gravel and weeds with a riddle and a lot of hard labour.  The only thing keeping me going is the thought of how much garden I'll gain when I get rid of the car-park look.

Ditto with block paving. It came with the house and, boy it is a pain, grass, weeds and more weeds inhabit the gaps. There must be a mile and a half of gaps! I've got one of those wire brush thingies but it is like that bridge - never ending. I don't do weedkillers because of the dogs and cats, so the next plan is to blast the divils with a pressure washer!!!!! :unsure:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2009, 09:02 »

Ditto with block paving. It came with the house and, boy it is a pain, grass, weeds and more weeds inhabit the gaps. There must be a mile and a half of gaps! I've got one of those wire brush thingies but it is like that bridge - never ending. I don't do weedkillers because of the dogs and cats, so the next plan is to blast the divils with a pressure washer!!!!! :unsure:

Don't get too carried away with that pressure washer if you shift the sand underneath your blocks  could sink  :(

Rubellite

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2009, 12:36 »
Don't get too carried away with that pressure washer if you shift the sand underneath your blocks  could sink  :(

Blast!!!! Didn't think of that!  :ohmy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2009, 16:17 »

Blast!!!! Didn't think of that!  :ohmy:
Good one  :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Your Best and Worst?

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:09
by diggerjoe
thumbup
The worst beginner there ever was!

Started by Annielot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 19:11
by Yorkie
xx
Worst weeds

Started by Cavolo Hero on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 09, 2024, 18:15
by rowlandwells
xx
The worst of both worlds

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 18:04
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.897 seconds with 36 queries.