Your Best and Worst?

• 26 Replies

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
Your Best and Worst?
« on: May 25, 2010, 19:51 »
Its been such a challenging spring for gardening with weather difficulties, plants stressed as they are kept indoors, etc., etc..

I was wondering what were individuals problem areas and wanting to hear of individuals' victories.

My worst: Peas..bad seed, lousy germination..just replanted today. Beans planted out too soon...but it was a case of lose them in the greenhouse or lose them in the garden. I just managed to lose them, and radishes. Something is eating them and its starting to eat me. :(

Good news: New potatoes. Fabulous and will have my first bowlful in about five days. Cabbages..doing progressive planting and have many already heading up, and my strawberry bed. Planted them late September and they are happy as can be.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: Your Best and Worst?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 19:55 »
my red barons must be stressed 4 have gone to seed  :blink:
marestail popping up everywhere  ???ground like reinforced concrete  :)but wait till autumn im spreading manure top to bottom and working it in or let the worms help apart from that it will be interesting to see if i have carrots under neath the bushey leaves

the joy of it all lol

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 20:22 »
I had such bad luck with my carrots last year I didn't even try them this year though I'm reconsidering.

After reading on here I think my problem may have been not enough thinning...but they were so pathetic I'm still hesitant.

I definitely suffer from carrot envy.

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 20:22 »
Failing to get carrotts to germinate, parsnips that only germinate if they are next to a seed that also germinated so 4 germinate in a 6 foot row 3 need thining.  Trying to get sweetcorn to germinate 24 seeds (F1s) 4 germinated 1 died.  Planted another set waiting only planted them 3 days ago.  The 5 sets of peas that something decided would taste nice and wipe them out.  The best appears to be the soft fruit, Currants red and balck, gooseberries desert and normal, raspberries and the strawberries if nothing else I should have enough berries with some for the freezer.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 20:36 »
Nilsatis:

Your comment about your carrots almost caused me to shower my keyboard with wine :)

Gooseberries..heaven. I tasted my first one last year. We Americans have no idea what we are missing.

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 20:40 »
I do need a bumper crop of berries for some to reach the freezer as when berries are ripe my 3 children become very interested in daddy's allottment.  It also my fault when they arrive home with tops covered in berry juice that never comes out.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 20:47 »
i forgot to mention sowing peas where the runner beans should start lol but hey ho they have all come up and the flying rats have nt spotted em yet  :tongue2:

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 22:07 »
trying to grow Cauliflower...not one germinated! tried to grow Peppers,never done it before so planted plenty...everyone has come up  ::)anyone want one?

Elaine G

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 23:50 »
Parsnips poor despite planting seed that had already germinated.
Alderman peas - have sown twice now and still only have half a dozen in 8 ft >:(

Broad beans overwintered and flowering nicely - yum!

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:09 »
 Worst.  Broad beans sown that some critter dug up. Dwarf beans & mange tout, only half a dozen of each germinated.
 Best.  Sweetcorn only one didn't germinate. Celery forever! Some Minibel toms I thought were goners suddenly sprouted :D   

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:22 »
Apart from the fact that everything is much later this year there are no disasters on my plot - I might have to replant some of the runner beans that didn't germinate due to the late frost, some of the spuds got 'nipped', and a few plants got killed off, but I had plenty of spares to cope with that eventuality. On the up side the mangetout are in flower, the raspberries will crop very heavily, the brassicas are netted against the butterflies, and there are no signs of disease or pest attacks - no aphid on the broad beans, no reversion diseas on the blackcurrents etc.etc. Providing I'm vigilent it's got the makings of a good season.

SS

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:16 »
Mostly good ,but first time with sweetcorn is proving to be a headache trying to get enough to plant a decent block of each variety.Have sown more corn yesterday straight into the soil this time hoping that one of the two seeds at each station will grow.

Dwarf french beans are at last starting to show sown three weeks ago while the runner beans sown last week were up in no time , it must be something to do with the temperature of the soil and being too impatient to wait for the right time.

Sown two lots of french marigolds and sunflowers in 3" pots no sign of anything yet lupins sown at same time are romping away.

Growing organic fruit and vegetables

bigben

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18 »
worst - planting 36 sweetcorn and getting about 12! Had to sow a load more. Also losing all my sprouts to frost.

Best - decided on the spur of the moment to try planting the seeds from a harliquin squash we bought. They have all come up and look really big and healthy much better then my poor F1 Hunter butternuts. They look like I might lose half of them.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 10:23 »
parsnips that only germinate if they are next to a seed that also germinated so 4 germinate in a 6 foot row 3 need thining.  
Ooh I had them, blimmin frustating.  I've since tried to "infill" with another sowing, will see if it works or they do the same  :tongue2:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 11:05 »
Swingswang:

Your mangetout are flowering?! I'm still begging mine to grow.

Good news..I have my first courgettes. I noticed two fruits this morning. My garden is such a mix of fabulous and tragedy..lol.

xx
Your worst weed?

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

90 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 16:55
by debbiedoll
xx
The worst of both worlds

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 18:04
by Grubbypaws
xx
is this year worst than last?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 23:24
by Ali
xx
Worst record

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 14:40
by Plot74

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 28 queries.