Worst record

• 6 Replies

Babstreefern

Worst record
« on: July 15, 2012, 18:13 »
Well I must say its been the worst year on record for growing things (or attempting to).  The only thing that I've been successful with this year are in the greenhouse.  My spuds are more than likely waterlogged - only time will tell :(; climing french beans have not climbed; brasicas have been eaten by slugs and birds (whilst I was on holiday, and apparently everyone else's has gone the same); peas are in half-filled pods; sweetcorn is only about 2ft high, yes you've got the message. :(

On the bright side, this year has been the best on record for gooseberries - they're like golf balls :lol: 
Babs

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: Worst record
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 18:59 »
sorry to hear. I guess everyone will share similar stories. some may have good technique to grow something others have not done well with so good place to share them

Peas have done well, maybe the feed has helped to boost it, potato's are good only digging will tell what the yield is like, disappointments are courgettes, sweet corns - very cool weather, slug damage on cauliflowers but nature has its ways to recover so i leave it to nature and now got nice curds forming.

maybe one week we will get the final push in hot weather - fingers crossed  :happy:

Yana

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 19:45 »
Two years ago I grew sweetcorn and the plants were over 6' tall. The crop was brilliant and I was over the moon. Last year I didn't grow sweetcorn, so this year I though I would as I had been so successful before.
Well what a disaster.......... About a third had the tops chewed off when about 2' high, then the winds took their toll. Those that are left are about 4' high and have topped out already. The cobs are few and far between so not looking good.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 20:58 »
Fingers crossed not yet expecting much but what ever I get will be a bonus. I have had the plot a year and have managed to get some crops out and some plants/bushes  established. We're here for the long run not short term
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Charityuk

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 21:17 »
My first attempt at sweetcorn and they are only about 40cm high - I take it that is bad :(

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:24 »
My first attempt at sweetcorn and they are only about 40cm high - I take it that is bad :(

you're doing better than me, they're only half the height of yours  :wub:

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 14:40 »
As this is my first year on the plot it is also my best so next year should be even better if it ever stops raining.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

xx
Your Best and Worst?

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:09
by diggerjoe
xx
is this year worst than last?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 23:24
by Ali
xx
Is this one of the worst summers we have had???

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 08, 2007, 20:09
by mum of 3
xx
The worst of both worlds

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 18:04
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.75 seconds with 36 queries.