Okay... so what have you planted in the ground and...

• 62 Replies

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
March 16th (just adding this date, so as you know when the question was starting from)

So, what have you planted in the ground and have sprouting/starting to sprout in the greenhouse.

I'd just like to know, cause I am a newbie,, and I get confused.. or is that confudled...

We have done alot to start clearing the land, we have also started, some onions, shallots, garlic, seeds; carrots, beetroot, radishes, leeks.

also in the greenhouse, cabbages, cauliflower, brocolli, lettuces,tomatoes and peas which the cabbages look rather leggy..

Or are they supposed to look like that.. (the cabbages)

So.. what have you done, what are you worried about and what would you experts with so much more years than me, suggest??????

Mandy :)  the person who is always begging for advise.. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 21:36 »
OK - here we go.

Firstly as you may have noticed from other posts, I'm not a fan of getting ahead of your self. I've been there seen it done it, had the disappointment. DO NOT PLANT TOO EARLY!!! It's better to plant too late.

I have planted outside - shallots and a row of Meteor peas. That's it end of story.

Inside in the window ledges I have Geraniums & Tomatoes, growing nice & sturdily. Inside the house ready to pop up are Lobia, trailing lobelia and sweet peppers. (They are inside my inflatable Tesco re-sealable bags). The Geraniums came up in 3 days with this method.

In the greenhouse I have germinating - French Marigolds, Leeks, Sweet Peas, Little Gem & Webbs lettuce, Parsley & probably one or two others I can't remember at the mo.

Spuds are chitting well. I'll admit I've planted some in the home garden, but they are trapped between my neighbours south facing wall & my greenhouse -  a spot that never sees frost. Allotment wise - no way.

I may have forgotten somthing, but this must be about 90% & a pass mark!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 21:41 »
Not wishing to fan the flames with gasoline ... but I'd like to point out that most allotmenteers / gardeners will be in full-time employment and thus only able to plant on one or two days of the week.   This doesn't make it a good idea to plant early but does make the temptation that much stronger when your day-off is a nice day.

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 21:43 »
What a good thread...it will be very helpful for me

Personally i have done nothing more than put in a rhubarb plant i bought at the garden centre ( victoria?)
And im half way through moving my raspberry canes to a new spot...

Early potatoes chitting away in garage and some polythene sheets on the recently ( month or so ago) newly rotovated patch to try and warm the soil a bit....

Not planted a single seed anywhere yet and not entirely sure i can , i may just buy starter plants this year..but im sure i will end up growing some herbs and a bunch of different chillis again from seed this year

shaun

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 22:07 »
hi mandy you just have to sit on your hands for a couple of weeks yet.

as for your leggy cabbages have you potted them on or are they still in the trays where you sown them.if they are then they need putting into bigger pots(3"-4") when you do this transplant them up to the bottom leaves,they will go leggy again in the bigger pots so when you transplant them outside do the same transplant them up to the bottom leaves again and realy firm them in.this goes for all the brassicas
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 23:00 »
Good advice thanks Shaun
I was wondering just the same thing as i was given some home grown cabbage seedling plants yesterday and said to myself they look leggy? now i know what to do tomorrow.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 23:44 »
In the ground I have autumn sown garlic and onions, and recently planted shallots and onion sets.  There's the perennial herbs in the herb patch, plus Jerusalem artichokes, rhubarb and asparagus as well.  That's it, unless you count recently planted fruit trees (bramley, peach, victoria plum, kiwi, pear, redcurrant, blackcurrant, gooseberry and blueberry - oh, and strawberries).

In the greenhouse I have a tray of salad leaves, peppers, aubergines, tomatoes, kohlrabi, cauliflower, broad beans, dwarf french beans, tagetes, poached egg flower, alpine strawberries and carrots in a deep trough.  I have no idea if any of these will work, as I've never had a GH before, but figured it couldn't hurt to try.  The salad, carrots, broad beans, caulis and most of the flowers have germinated - it's too soon to tell for the others - I only sowed them all last week.

Oh yes, there's spuds chitting on my bedroom windowsill!

frazzy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 23:53 »
garlic ,onions ,first early pots ,carrots ,perpetual spinich, tomatos indoors .thats it till the weather warms up which should be in 2 weeks time in the solar weather prediction is accurate i wait with anticipation
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

leeky

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 23:54 »
nice, plenty of action going off with you folks.  :D

here I planted 4 rows of early spuds, how wise that will be remains to be seen with the report of snow soon  :lol:

on the window sills i have in propogators; cabbage, leeks, spring onions, beets, brussels and also marigolds.

I potted up the Toms today into 3 inch pots, they drooped a little but soon recovered after a watering.

on the look out for halfpipe guttering now to put my beans in, them and the peas are still in their packets.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 00:02 »
Nothing in the ground yet, but I have started just a few of tomatoes, chillies, cabbages, brussels, leeks, beetroot, peas, broad beans,  in the greenhouse, which is unheated, but I cover them with fleece at night

My potatoes will go in week after next when I get back from Kent visiting my daughter

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 00:52 »
nuttin outside at all ... got some runner beans n french beans in the greenhouse .along with some tumbling toms n £= maker . to early still the key to good harvests is preparatioon and patiance  :wink:
still alive /............

milkman

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 08:07 »
Okay outside on the lottie I've got:-

garlic planted autumn,

onion sets and shallots planted over the last month,

parsnips sown directly the last w/e in feb under clear polythene

broad beans - both overwintered and sown last weekend

potatoes - maincrop and salad planted last weekend

In the unheated greenhouse:-

Rootrainer tray containing brussels sprouts, summer cabbage, calabrese and (non-existent yet) purple globe artichokes

On a sunny windowsill at home:-

baby tomato plants in a Rootrainer tray
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 09:01 »
ive got peas which i started off in drain pipe in a portable greenhouse which i now have put in the ground under fleece, tomatoes and savoy from seed on the windowsill and potatoes chitting well, i must admit i`m still sat on my hands for a bit but as for the peas i couldnt wait and had to plant somthing as a newbie but if they dont come on i`ve got three other packets. i`m realy surprised at the coming weather though after all the mild weather weve had and the time of year cant remember the last time we had snow at the end of march.
please let me have the good life
cant cope with this one

tetley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 09:02 »
I know I don't really count, but I have got garlic in the ground from Nov. Onions, and carrots in the ground.  
In my little greenhouse thingy, yellow and red cherry toms, aubergine, chilli, peppers, coriander.
Belle de fontanay potatoes chitting.
Am following the advice of my neighbour, and not doing anything else with the ground, until the end of the month.

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 09:10 »
On the lottie I have Japenese onions and strawberries (from last year) Thats it.  Today I will be planting out rasberries, gooseberries and red and black currents.
This morning I have sown Tomatoes, melons, some cucumbers,peas,spinich,chartwell lettuce ,rhubarb and strawberries On windowsills around the house.  I also have garlic already on the windowsills.  Might also plant out my compfrey and borage If I can get the beds done today :) .
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

xx
Raspberries planted in frozen ground

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 20:34
by Bing
xx
Planted out veg

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2022, 06:04
by Growster...
xx
what can be planted now?

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:12
by RosieMay
xx
anyone planted yet

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 19:17
by Twitch

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 29 queries.