Am I too late?

• 10 Replies

Mrs Gumage

Am I too late?
« on: April 09, 2007, 13:11 »
:(
We're still digging over our new plot and getting rid of the grass so nothing has gone in yet.

I'm getting a bit worried reading about other people's crops being so much further on than mine (still in seed packets or on window sill in pots)....  our plot is on an exposed hill in Derbyshire so I know it's colder than them down south but I'm still worried we're too late for this year!

HELP!  Any advice or words of comfort greatly received!  :lol:

(On the bright side I've acquired 2 water butts, made a compost thing from some pallets and got a shed from freecycle :D )

Huzey

Am I too late?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 13:17 »
Hi Mrs Gummage
I'm sure you'll be fine. Nature has a way of catching up with itself, and if you have got it all in pots etc, then at least you have got something happening. 8)
I'm still waiting for my plot, so you'll be ahead of me. :shock:
Good result on the water  butt/shed front though.
All the best
Huzey.
All the gear.......No idea!

WG.

Am I too late?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 13:18 »
Absolutely not Mrs G.

The only thing that you are too late with is garlic.    Get your shallots and onions in quickly - this week or next.

Tatties next.  Put your earlies on top of a tray of compost in a cold greenhouse in full light.  They'll put out roots and shoots quite quickly.  Simply stick second early / maincrop straight into the ground.

Pre-sprout your peas and beans on damp kitchen towel in a warm place.  They sprout very quickly so do this no sooner than 1 week before you are ready to plant into final position.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Am I too late?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 13:20 »
So far, I've only got spuds and onions in, and I'm a bit further south than you, so you'll be fine!!!!

Mrs Gumage

Am I too late?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 13:33 »
Brilliant!  Thanks everyone!
Put my garlic in yesterday but tis in now so we'll see what happens!  (that's in the garden though).

I'm trying to sprout my spuds now with the hope I can maybe get some of them in on Wed but I haven't got them in soil so I will try that - sounds like a better idea!

I've been VERY lucky with freecycle!  I got a wheelbarrow and the shed and my brother in law got me 2 water butts/big barrel things from his work and I just sawed the tops off and hinged the lids!  No water on site so hoping to connect them with drain thingys to the shed roof (once I've re-felted it!)

:D Knackered just thinking of what needs doing!  :lol:

WG.

Am I too late?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 14:38 »
Quote from: "Mrs Gumage"
Put my garlic in yesterday ...
I'm trying to sprout my spuds now with the hope I can maybe get some of them in on Wed

Your garlic is likely to produce a single undivided clove.  Still usable but re-plant a few of them in September for harvest in July 2008.

If you are planting as early as Weds, then just sling the tatties in unsprouted.

Gwiz

Am I too late?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 17:40 »
as wg says, too late for galic, not too late for the rest.
great news on the water butts and compost bin.
LOVE your avatar!!! :lol:

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Am I too late?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 18:39 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
So far, I've only got spuds and onions in, and I'm a bit further south than you, so you'll be fine!!!!

Me too, and I'm even souther-er  :shock:

Annie

Am I too late?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 09:06 »
I`m about the same stage as others,half of the tatties are in,shallots,have sewn first lot of broard beans outside and am slowly beginning to sow other things in seed trays,anything I don`t get round to will catch up as it gets warmer.

Oliveview

Am I too late?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:45 »
I have only just planted up my seeds for the tomatoes, but we do have a longer growing season here.  Same with the dwarf french beans, I´´ve sown them in large pots and will plant out in the veg plot once the potatoes are dug up, hopefully starting in about a month. Neighbours think I am daft to grow my own from seed! I have bought some tom plants and they are in, but it is more fun growing from seed isn´t it?
Pamela (in Spain)

wellingtons

The first year on my ...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:50 »
... plot I was playing catch up.  Weeding a patch, planting it then weeding the next one.  But about all I missed out on was garlic and broad beans.

Think about all you have the chance to plant cos you've missed very little really ..  :D

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
better late than never?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2020, 07:38
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.573 seconds with 29 queries.