Okay... so what have you planted in the ground and...

• 62 Replies

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 16:56 »
I didnt dave...i bought them.,..my garden centre is selling leek, colly, cabbage, peas, runner, broad, sweetcorn, pruple sprout, lettuce...actually just about everything in ready to plant plants....so i bought purple and leeks and cabbage and havent been able to get thim in the ground :(

Heifer73

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 17:07 »
Hi

I have in right now purple sprouting broccili, garlic, shallots, onions, broad beans, rhubarb, asparagus, first early potatoes and fruit trees. :D
Bye

Heifer

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 17:13 »
1st earlies - Pentland Javelin and Rocket in today. Onion Sets went in end of Feb and have sprouted about 2 inches so looking good. Hoping to put carrots and beetroot in later this week if weather stays fine!
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 17:18 »
Quote from: "Dan"
I didnt dave...i bought them.,..my garden centre is selling leek, colly, cabbage, peas, runner, broad, sweetcorn, pruple sprout, lettuce...actually just about everything in ready to plant plants....so i bought purple and leeks and cabbage and havent been able to get thim in the ground :(

That's a con to get you to go & buy again!

I won't even think about sowing my sweetcorn for another 2 - 3 weeks and the purple sprouters haven't even had a sniff of the compost yet.

This link to Garden Organic, whilst intended for schools gives a good idea of when & how.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/schools_organic_network/thisweek.php
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 17:45 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"

Jake - also trying gherkins this year as an experiment can't stand them myself, but daughter eats them by the bucket full. Won't be sowing until mid April though.

But my theory is that coz they're in a trough it'll be easy to shelter. I dunno, I'll have some backups.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 18:42 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Not wishing to fan the flames with gasoline ... but I'd like to point out that most allotmenteers / gardeners will be in full-time employment and thus only able to plant on one or two days of the week.   This doesn't make it a good idea to plant early but does make the temptation that much stronger when your day-off is a nice day.

Absolutely WG!  Like today march 27th 18 deg C!  Except I was stuck in the orofice!... by the time Easter comes...it will be winter again!!

I have optimistically started some seeds off in the conservatory in the hope that in several weeks time weather will be better.   Has anyone grown runner beans in the conservatory LOL!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 18:45 »
Oh ...I have sown... sweetheart cabbage, celery, chives, parsley, runners, black tuscan kale.  Down this way we can get tender plants in around first week of May without too much fear of frost.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2007, 22:36 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
And the moral of the story from reading a lot of these posts and problems with leggy plants........

DON'T SOW TOO EARLY!!!

Jake - also trying gherkins this year as an experiment can't stand them myself, but daughter eats them by the bucket full. Won't be sowing until mid April though.

:D In the Greenhouse
Leeks; 84 seeded 2 weeks ago, no signs yet. Broccoli, 12 in root trainers, all through, 2 inch leggies – planted out, 27 March . Cucumber, 4 seedlings all with 2 strong leaves – going into the cow manure mound soon.  4 sweet peppers, 2 showing, 2 will be planted in growbag in greenhouse. Rocket, 27 appeared within 2 weeks, now out in herb garden. Dwarf  French Beans, in pots planted “far too early” during Feb. From 18, 2 have shown, 1 a strong green hump the other a 1 in. white stalk.
 (?any more advice: Today I looked carefully and dug in … I found mushed beans in very hard compost. Perhaps I caused this by watering … I naively thought I should keep the compost soft by watering but this must have made it go hard ? and also destroy all but one of the beans. Will I do right if I throw them all out now, learn a hard lesson and start all over again? Please someone advise on which runner and dwarf beans I should go with. (The runners I tried were Scarlet Emperor.
Sweet peas germinated well. They are now out in raised bed awaiting the arrival of runner beans for which they will form a pretty wind-break!
Peas: Feltham First Winter Hardy (dwarf), some in a row in raised bed but worried about mice so also in gutter in greenhouse 9th. March, now all showing 1 pair of leaves. But nothing like as strong as the WONDEROUS Kelvedon Wonder peas in gutters in the greenhouse from 8th. March now all sturdy seedlings with 3-4 leaf pairs.
All peas planted out 27 Mar.
Sweetcorn, 18 sown in Feb.,  only 6 germinated now but each has a pair of strong leaves. Need advice on how and where to plant them.
Caulis and cabbages grown into nice 2 inch leggies and put out today in raised beds (nice and firm as you all have told me and with some pellets and fleece.
Lovage: 4 seeds in root trainers now showing …….. Have been told not to include in bed rotation as will grow into a perennial small tree. So when should I plant one? Courgettes: 16 in peat pots in greenhouse.
No sign yet. They are going in the cow manure mound. Can I plant seeds direct or how long expect to wait in peat pots?
Lemon Corianda??? I don’t know whether  to put some in the greenhouse or straight into the outside raised bed beside the broccoli. What do you think Gang?
In the raised Beds
Onion sets in February; Carrots in the other half of the same bed, BUT trough dug deep with sand.
Spuds in BEFORE Paddy’s day ( 15 March - Just to prove the neighbouring plotters).
Earlies “Accent”, Main crop “Desire”
The chits left over are getting “stuck in the muck” as MJ said J
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

muntjac

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2007, 22:43 »
if you have roted ya scarlet emporrer you have prob done same to corgettes .  replant the runners with same and also enorma . check courgete seed is stil ok .

sweetcorn leave inside till may and then plant out 2ft apart in a block

courgettes 16........ blooming hell who ya feeding .....2 / 3 is more than enough lol

plant more french beans  as the others to have rotted off me thinks .
still alive /............

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2007, 23:08 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
if you have roted ya scarlet emporrer you have prob done same to corgettes .  replant the runners with same and also enorma . check courgete seed is stil ok .

sweetcorn leave inside till may and then plant out 2ft apart in a block

courgettes 16........ blooming hell who ya feeding .....2 / 3 is more than enough lol

plant more french beans  as the others to have rotted off me thinks .

Great help again Muntjac,
The corgettes are really just to join the club of reclaiming what was bogland, on the muck mound  :roll:
What is "Enorma" ? a variety of Runners?
Jim

muntjac

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 23:11 »
yes m8 enorma are a nice runner bean :wink:

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2007, 22:08 »
Finally got my onion sets in today !! i feel a lot happier now...not sure if it was done right but well wait and see....birds may get a few too.

Was a costly job ! blagged 3 scaffold boards from a freind so i can start working my patch properly.....went to his to collect them..lovely...3 boards....in the back of the frontera.....shut back door....board straight through windscreen !! ( actually just a large spider web sized crack but that doesnt sound as drastic ! )...worlds most expensive scaffold boards now tho!

ziggywigs

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2007, 22:32 »
hummppphh....just discovered the youngest cat had tried to sit on the window cill where my geraniums are potted up...walked into the spare room tonight to check my babies...and compost and pots all over the floor...the culprit had made her escape!

Aaaarrrrgh!

SkipRat

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 21:59 »
Started planting today, only got first earlies in outside. And in an unheated greenhouse sown lettuce, calabrese, cabbage, leeks, broad beans, and tomatoes. All sown today. I,m of the school, plant a little later then sooner.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

noshed

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2007, 22:58 »
My soil temp was 9deg C yesterday
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Raspberries planted in frozen ground

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 20:34
by Bing
xx
What have you planted already?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

110 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 09:27
by Dill The Dog
xx
I wish I'd planted..............

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 19:10
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
what can be planted now?

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:12
by RosieMay

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 37 queries.