My plot is in a poor state. Should the allotment service sort it out?

• 51 Replies

karooba007

• Experienced Member
woodburner, Yes I have been told that one spade depth is enough. I would agree except that in my case this one spade depth is under water so I think I need to increase it so that it drains properly. Another issue with the soil is that I have dug two veg beds and connected them to my drainage channel but still these veg beds are water logged.
There is a problem with teh soil. Its not allowing the water to filter through it. Why I don't know. even after digging it and connecting it to a dug channel the water isn't moving through this soil. Does that make any sense or am I going mad?
So I think I need to add lots of compost or soil or manure.

Also woodbuner I don't think they need to pay to improve my plot, they collect grass and leaves and so have compost. Why not give me some?  I wouldn't mine paying something towards it. But paying, I am guessing, a couple of hundred to bring in soil/compost I don't think is on. I wouldn't mind paying that if the land is mine but it isn't. I might be using the plot for a year or so and then moving to another city.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:03 by karooba007 »

MoreWhisky

You seem really unhappy with your plot , seems your saying your moving on is it worth sorting out?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Are you new to gardening karooba007, or have you been doing it for many years ?

karooba007

• Experienced Member
new, why?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I mean if we knew how long you had been gardening we could give you the best advice to fit your level of experience.

Are you a student ?

tillytup

my head hurts just reading this  :wacko:

randombod

thinking more about this while i was at work last night! i would go for raised beds and solve all the problems fromthe start ... is there any farmers near by who may have soem topsoil for sale that you could buy off them for pennies. Be very carefull mate we dont want to be having a whip round for a file and cake!!!!

karooba007

• Experienced Member
no aunt sally. I am not settled where I am that’s why I could be moving.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 17:40 by karooba007 »

karooba007

• Experienced Member
randombod, I think I will do two or three small  raised beds on the plot. The rest of the plot can stay as it is. The soil isn't allowing water to filter through it. I guess it'  to do with type of soil.
Yes there is a farm near the allotment site. I can't see it but I can smell it. There are horses that pass near me so can get manure just need to find a van ( not easy for someone with no good friends  :().
Yeah two raised beds thats the way to go. the rest of the plot can stay as it is.
I’ve been to ambitious to think I can sort out the whole plot.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 17:50 by karooba007 »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
The let this one go Karooba, hopefully someone will be able to make something of it this year.  Next plot you get will hopefully be long term and better suited
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

penance

It IS winter!

It will become more workable as summer approaches.
With the rain, snow melting and more rain there is standing ground water every where.
As i have said, my garden is a sodden mess, it will drain by summer.

I'm unsure how many other ways i can try to say it!

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Like Penance has said, it is still winter. Not being one to grow garlic and such like, i finish on my plot about the end of October, and dont touch it again until the middle of march. Its far to wet out there at the moment. Use the spare time in the winter months to do all the other little jobs, (making compost bin, cold frame, tidying the shed, cleaning the greenhouse, etc). This season try root crops in raised beds, and grow all others on the plot. Find what works for you, and make a list. That way you can eliminate mistakes next season. Most of all remember not all plots are the same, (drainage, shade) so what works for some, wont work for you.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

MoreWhisky

hand the plot back! and with all the extra time you will save not making raised beds or whinging find a friend.

Yabba

The soil isn't allowing water to filter through it. I guess it'  to do with type of soil.

The lil patch that I normally grow in spends most of winter underwater ... it's not usually dry enough until May ... I couldn't begin to explain what I give up just to have that patch, and I consider myself lucky ;)

¥

penance

new, why?

If you are new to growing, listen to the advice your being given here, many people have tried to advise you but it seems your concentrating on the bad part and nothing else.

There is plenty of time for your plot to drain before you will be sowing in ernest. Use that time to plan what you want to grow, and as mentioned build a compost bin etc..

If not, then the best thing is probably for you to leave the plot for someone else.

xx
sorry state of the plot

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 16:57
by mumofstig
xx
What state is it going to be in?

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 17:37
by JimB
xx
Bloomin brilliant service!

Started by Nefertari on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 09:14
by Nefertari
xx
Fantastic service...seeds

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 11:38
by J_B

Page created in 0.788 seconds with 36 queries.