What state is it going to be in?

• 16 Replies

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
What state is it going to be in?
« on: June 06, 2017, 15:40 »
 :ohmy:
What a windy day even this far inland. Very worried what state the allotment will be in. Sweetcorn already had splints on them , broad been at 5rft hire are in for a beating........will get over there after work but not looking forward to it.

snowdrops

Re: What state is it going to be in?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 15:52 »
I've just come back from retrieving my brassica cage from the plot next door, its flattened his onions gulp. Now weighted down,upside down with slabs on it
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 15:53 »
Fingers crossed for you! Dreading what this filth, masquerading as weather, is doing to my crops too, utterly vile for early June. I've 4-5 sweetcorn plants spare, glad I kept them. Not going to the plot until tomorrow as the wind would only annoy me intensely. Should start easing tonight but an unsettled week to come with more strong winds possible again this weekend, yuck. Got another soaking here today though which was welcome! Small positives lol.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 15:55 by Middlesexbloke »

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 16:22 »
I can't getting to the lotty til Thursday. We had just erected a brassica tent of sorts. Hope it's survived.🤞🏻

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 16:58 »
Blowing a hoolie here , one branch off the cabbage palm , leaves off the runners and tips unwound , leaves off the outdoor tomatoes and every thing generally given a good workout !

victoria park

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 17:34 »
At least the corn isn't standing tall yet and vulnerable. My broad beans have been flattened but seeing as they were producing almost a month ago now, they're just about finished with only the last harvest for freezing to do, so no harm done.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:18 »
 :) Not as bad as first feared. Wind direction has been favorable, nothing damage only listing a bit.

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 10:56 »
Here on the IOW we had 61mph wind, no real damage bit of a worry with the tunnel was getting a bit flappy
 its ok we had 235ft of feather edge fence put up around our garden i think that saved us a bit, but my new
14x8ft man cave stayed put so not to worry about my beer fridge going over,, :D :D
Colin

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 16:54 »
Just got back from the plot.  Some damage to broad beans and leaves blown from climbing and dwarf beans.  Runners OK.  Sweetcorn and garlic look a bit windblown.

Other plots had a lot of damage to tall peas, but mine seem OK, I did a bit of assisting them to climb with string round the frames the other day which helped I think.

However the biggest sufferer was my lovely asparagus.  Many ferns have simply been lifted straight from the ground, despite (or because?) they were tied to wires for stability. They are in a fairly sheltered spot too.  Still windier than usual.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 17:18 »
However the biggest sufferer was my lovely asparagus.  Many ferns have simply been lifted straight from the ground, despite (or because?) they were tied to wires for stability. They are in a fairly sheltered spot too.  Still windier than usual.

That's interesting - presumably because they couldn't move from side to side they just got pulled out instead.
I just use a single cane at each end of the bed with polypropylene twine between them each side to give the ferns some support (my asparagus has been there a long time and the crowns are about 3' across now, so I have to cut off some of the ferns which would be hard to contain inside the strings without a lot more faffing about.)

Damage in my garden was minor - luckily I'd tied up most of the herbaceous shrubs a few days ago - one or two of the broad beans needed a bit more support, a couple of the young runners had their growing shoots broken off, but luckily many plants, including the roses, weren't quite at the stage to suffer too much damage.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 17:45 »
Just been to check on mine, everything looks a bit bedraggled but there doesn't seem to be any real damage. Even the debris netting was still on the hoops.  :)
I think it was because the wind wasn't directly from the usual SSW - the site has a little more protection from the other directions.

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 18:20 »

That's interesting - presumably because they couldn't move from side to side they just got pulled out instead.
I just use a single cane at each end of the bed with polypropylene twine between them each side to give the ferns some support (my asparagus has been there a long time and the crowns are about 3' across now, so I have to cut off some of the ferns which would be hard to contain inside the strings without a lot more faffing about.)

Damage in my garden was minor - luckily I'd tied up most of the herbaceous shrubs a few days ago - one or two of the broad beans needed a bit more support, a couple of the young runners had their growing shoots broken off, but luckily many plants, including the roses, weren't quite at the stage to suffer too much damage.
I supported my asparagus in exactly the same way as you JayG.  In fact, I copied your method after seeing one of your posts on the subject.  I just may have to wait a bit longer before I get a proper crop - this is their second year.  It really was very very windy round here.

ghost61

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 20:38 »
Covers ripped on the raised beds.  Lost three courgette plants, four patty pans, and the mange tout frame was trying to take off and so ripped out half the plants.   Gutted.  My plot seems to suffer every time there's windy weather, fed up... :(

ptarmigan

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 09:45 »
Our site is very exposed - everyone's sheds are tied down at all times!

I planted a hawthorn and sloe hedge 5 years ago - it's a bit of a pain to keep the weeds under it under control.   And it needs clipping twice a year - but its really helped cut down on the wind damage. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 11:07 »

I supported my asparagus in exactly the same way as you JayG.  In fact, I copied your method after seeing one of your posts on the subject.  I just may have to wait a bit longer before I get a proper crop - this is their second year.  It really was very very windy round here.

Oh dear - If the row is more than about 10' long you would probably need more than just one cane at each end and one pair of strings to make sure that the whole lot can't get blown over like a row of dominoes if the wind happens to be in the wrong direction.

xx
sorry state of the plot

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 16:57
by mumofstig
xx
State the two things that you vow to do differently this season......

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:03
by earthing83
xx
My plot is in a poor state. Should the allotment service sort it out?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

51 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 09:57
by mikem

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 30 queries.