My plot is in a poor state. Should the allotment service sort it out?

• 51 Replies

karooba007

• Experienced Member
Hi, I got a new plot a few weeks ago. I have one spade of top soil on the plot only and under that is pure clay. The plot doesn’t drain and my feet sink into water.
The soil is poor quality as well. Really the plot isn’t  cultivatable.
something is wrong with the soil and is not allowing the water to filter through it.
The only solution is if I bring in soil or compost or manure. For the whole plot this will cost me a lot and I don’t have a van either.
I do think that the plots the allotment service rent out should have enough top soil and also should be free draining. 
Can I pursue this matter with the allotment service and are they obliged to help me in this matter and provide soil or compost? If yes, how do I go about pursuing  this?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:18 by karooba007 »

penance

I doubt they are responsible for supply compost etc.

It 'is' winter and things are wet.
As people said in your other thread, double dig and get drainage sorted.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
penance, its wet in the summer as well. I have dug the drainage channel all along the plot. I have double dug as well (two veg beds). the Soil just holdds the water. The soil is poor quality as well. I need to bring in compost for for the whole plot.
I think that the allotment service should be providing plots with enough free draining topsoil.
If I ask do they have to agree as my plot hasn't got enough top soil and is not draining?

penance

The soil you showed previously has more topsoil than i have in my garden plot.

I can't see how they are responsible.

Have you spoken to other owners on the site to see what they do?

Yes, summers can be wet, but not as bad as winter.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
Yes, the man who runs the site referred me to another plot holder and he aid dig against the road. The reason is so that the water drains through the stone foundation of the road. I have done more than that, I have dug a channel along side the road and connected the veg beds to it. The veg beds are still full of water. I need to bring in compost for the whole plot. There is marsh grass growing in the plots around mine.
can the allotment service really expect me to bring in enough compost to increase the depth of the whole plot a spade or half a spade?  Are they obliged to bring in compost to left the plot if I ask?

karooba007

• Experienced Member
penance, I think the allotment service are responsible for providing plots that are cultivatable. That means that the plots drain of water and enough topsoil to allow drainage and growing.

mikem

• Experienced Member
penance, I think the allotment service are responsible for providing plots that are cultivatable. That means that the plots drain of water and enough topsoil to allow drainage and growing.

By all means you can ask but in my opinion we are offered an allotment (if we are lucky) and we can either take it or leave it.  My plot is still wet in winter, and in summer when we have a reasonable amount of rain, but I put in as much compost as I can lay my hands on.  I can't double dig on my plot as you could throw pots on the bit below the first spit.  But things are improving as I cultivate it more and drainage ditches are dug.  You could try raised beds as well as trying to improve the quality of the structure. 

In answer to your question however I don't agree that the council are responsible for improving the quality of the soil on your allotment to the state that you, and I, would love to have it.

penance

You dont need a spade and half depth. I have less than one spades depth of top soil and even that is very clay like.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
yes you don't need more than a spade for growing a lot of things. I need more so that the plot rises above the water. the plot needs to be lifted half a spade or a spade so that its above water.

penance

Is that what the other plot holder have told you?

If you have dug drainage then you are part way there. Dog in stuff to help drain the beds and things should get better.

As i said, my plot is clay and waterlogged this time of year. It will be fine come growing season.

karooba007

• Experienced Member

By all means you can ask but in my opinion we are offered an allotment (if we are lucky) and we can either take it or leave it.  My plot is still wet in winter, and in summer when we have a reasonable amount of rain, but I put in as much compost as I can lay my hands on.  I can't double dig on my plot as you could throw pots on the bit below the first spit.  But things are improving as I cultivate it more and drainage ditches are dug.  You could try raised beds as well as trying to improve the quality of the structure. 

In answer to your question however I don't agree that the council are responsible for improving the quality of the soil on your allotment to the state that you, and I, would love to have it.

When we take up an allotment we are basically renting a patch of soil.
On my plot the soil is bad and is only one spade depth and the plot is full of water.  Therefore what t exactly am I getting? I am only getting space that is it. I think the allotment service should be providing a decent patch of soil to grow on. In my case this hasn’t happened and also on my neighbours plots as well.
Am I making a convincing case?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 13:07 by karooba007 »

penance

To be honest, it's not convincing me.
You viewed the plot and accepted it.

One spade depth is enough!

Good luck talking to the council but i'll be surprised if you get a possitive result.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
penance, when you walk on your plot does foot sink? Was your plot water logged last spring/summer? Really I can't see why It wouldn't be water logged in spring\summer as last summer there was so much rain. I think the plot needs to have soil/compost put on it to lift it up so that it drains. no one told me this just what I think. yes i am sure the water channel will remove some water but I think It will continue being water logged.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
penance, I believe the  allotment service should provide enough soil/compost to left the plots so that they are not water logged but I agree with you and I very much doubt that they would agree. Complaining rarely achieve anything, just a waste of time.Therefore I intend to get my soil but covertly  ;).

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Karooba007,

You sound really hacked off with the state of your plot, but i think your question has been answered, it is felt that the council is not responsible for it. That doesn't mean you cant approach them and see what they say.

Even if you read on hear what you want to read, would it make a difference? You really will have to try and speak to them.

A word of advice, if you go in all guns blazing your unlikely to get anywhere.
Liv.

xx
sorry state of the plot

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 16:57
by mumofstig
xx
What state is it going to be in?

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 17:37
by JimB
xx
Fantastic service...seeds

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 11:38
by J_B
xx
Bloomin brilliant service!

Started by Nefertari on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 09:14
by Nefertari

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 36 queries.