My plot is in a poor state. Should the allotment service sort it out?

• 51 Replies

mikem

• Experienced Member
penance, I believe the  allotment service should provide enough soil/compost to left the plots so that they are not water logged but I agree with you and I very much doubt that they would agree. Complaining rarely achieve anything, just a waste of time.Therefore I intend to get my soil but covertly  ;).

You also said:-

"The only solution is if I bring in soil, compost and manure. For the whole plot this will cost me a lot and I don’t have a van either."

So I am not sure how you intend to get soil "covertly".  If your soil is as bad as you say then I guess that land drains and a soak-away may be the only answer as putting a few inches of soil on top of what you have won't do much good unless you go for raised beds.

treacleminer

I do think that the plots the council rent out should have enough top soil and also should be free draining. 
Can I pursue this matter with the council and are they obliged to help me in this matter and provide soil or compost?
I don't know anything about allotments but I have found this http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari/ari-news/a-plotholders-guide-new-edition-available.html
from which you can download a guide to allotments.  On a quick read it doesn't look like the allotment provider has any obligations as to the quality of the land they provide.  Sorry!

penance

Yep, my plot is very wet, feet sink.

No it wasn't like it last summer. It is warmer in the summer and hence water tends to evaporate better.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
My garden was similar when I first moved in, I dug it over and added manure and compost and then I planted things - anything - the next year I did the same as the garden started to gain a structure. In three years, the clay level had dropped from a spade and a half to about 2-3 spades and the soil quality was vastly improved...

It's all about patience and not wanting everything immediately - with hard work and perseverence, you will do wonders - and you WILL be able to grow while you do it!

As far as the Council's responsibilties go, it is my understanding that it is simply to provide ground where there is a requirement and nothing more.

Good luck mate, and enjoy it!

Beejay

• Experienced Member
Why don't you explain the problem to your committee and ask for a better plot 8)
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
If it really is that waterlogged then adding a bit of top soil wont make too much difference in the long run, you can either go with raised beds or get drainage sorted out. You dont have to do it all at once, split your plot into managable parts and get the worst sorted out first- as already said before, drainage ditches, manure for your beds etc.
I dont think the council will give you topsoil without some form of effort on your part to get some drainage sorted out. I see your point but you accepted it, and it is a very lucky new plotter who gets it perfect, mine is waterlogged in parts so I need to do some hard work too.
But do check your contract
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
My son is putting french drains and perforated pipes through his allotment to improve the drainage and is gradually making raised beds.  The council just rent you a piece of land but do not guarantee it's in top condition.  Land is land, it can be improved, it just takes hard work and time. 

I have the opposite problem to you, mine becomes a dust bowl from June to September. It's very sandy and holds no nutrients.  The local stables is a place I visit most weeks (car pongs a bit though)  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 20:57 by Aunt Sally »

upsadaisy

Hi,  our allotment site is also very wet, early March we are planning to dig drainage trenches and fill them with gravel, have one large soakaway and hopefully a wildlife pond. The Council are providing us with £150 to purchase the gravel and drainage pipe,  the Allotment Association will have to provide the money for the hire of the digger and all the other work and expense it will cost.   

At the same time we are also repairing our pavilion, the Council again are paying for the wood and paint but we have to supply the labour and cover the cost of the other bits and pieces.

So I suggest you ask your local Council for help with the drainage.  However, you must be prepared to do the work yourselves. 

If your soil is so poor,  have raised beds and remember you dont have to do it all this year, aim to have say............4 raised beds every year and then by composting each year you will be able to raise the level of soil.

Upsadaisy

randombod

speak to who ever is in charge with in your local council the allotment site manage whould be able to tell you who this is. We have had some soil put on but only cos they did soem drainage and it made the plot so bad it flooded and ducks took up residence. You may find they will supply you soil but you will have to pay. usually the most they offer is  dig over for you with a jcb

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Do add your approximate location to your profile karooba !  It's often helpful for answering problems. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I agree with others that the council have no obligation to pay to improve your plot, but if asked nicely they may be prepared to reach a compromise.  If you go in all guns steaming about what you think you're entitled to, you'll just put their backs up.

If you are not prepared to accept that position, you could always have the option of asking to go back to the bottom of the waiting list for another plot in a better condition.

I too do not know what you mean by obtaining soil covertly.  If you are serious, and mean you will take it from others' plots, then that is (in the first place) almost certainly a breach of your tenancy if not criminal, and secondly incredibly selfish to other tenants.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

noshed

Ask the council allotment person for some advice. That's what they're there for. If you approach them in a friendly way you may get some useful help. We now get free compost delivered in 30 ton lorry loads on demand - free. And free manure.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

woodburner

Have a look at this thread.

Have you dealt with the dam effect of the paths? Honestly, your plot looks just like the bottom end of mine did. Your description of it fits too.
If you cant manage little covered drainaage channels, across the paths, just dog little ditches, no-one going to notice at this time of year and you can refill them in the summer when it's drier.

One spit depth of topsoil is as much as you will find anywhere, really, as that's how far the plough reaches into the soil, it is possible to make it deeper/thicker but it's not really worth the trouble or expense.

Fixed the hyperlink - Aunty
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:28 by Aunt Sally »
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

karooba007

• Experienced Member
yorkie, I am not going to steel other plot holders soil. There is a park next to the site. one side of the parl there is a small stream. I was thinking of taking some soil from the bank of the stream.
I feel that I haven't got a plot because the soil is so bad. all I have is space.
the plot is full of water and is not draining. I have dug two veg beds and connected them to a drainage channel but these  veg beds are still water logged. something is wrong with the soil. it is not allowing the water to filter through it. so I don't think I am renting a plot. just space.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:14 by karooba007 »

penance

Unlikely that the soil close by will be much better. Also it is still theft!

xx
sorry state of the plot

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 16:57
by mumofstig
xx
What state is it going to be in?

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 17:37
by JimB
xx
Fantastic service...seeds

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 11:38
by J_B
xx
Bloomin brilliant service!

Started by Nefertari on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 09:14
by Nefertari

Page created in 0.625 seconds with 37 queries.