Ducks or Chickens?

• 20 Replies

scotty

Ducks or Chickens?
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:52 »
Hi,

new to all this veg growing this year, and have decided to give myself more work by getting ducks or chickens. thats the big question?

i really like ducks and have heard they are good at eating slugs (of which we have loads!) but was wondering of what sort of egg production i would get, duck life span, and do they eat kitchen scraps like chickens? ( maybe a good book could be recommended)

or

chickens? don't find them as appealing but are they easier to keep? would i get more eggs to possibly sell

and finally on both counts how many would i need to roughly keep the family in eggs?

i am on a farm and space in not a problem, even considering a piglet to grow for the freezer.

cheers
oh no, another pair of leaky wellies!

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Ducks or Chickens?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:25 »
CHICKENS!!!

:D

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 10:50 »
Hi we have both!!!!! They are kept together at the moment but are soon to be seperated to give them their own space.  We stared off with ducks then moved to chickens!!!
It depends what you want? We have 3 ducks and a drake, but at the moment have only one layer. ????
We have 9 hens(3 are ex-batts)  and have between 6-8 eggs a day.  Ducks are very messy and most need a pond which needs cleaning out regulary. But they are lovely and I am having more soon :tongue2:.
 Chickens are more friendly and love cuddles  and are very sociable creatures. But can suffer more illness than ducks.
If you want them for eggs then you can't beat a duck egg(we have a waiting list for our duck eggs!!) but chicken eggs are just as nice.   Not much help here am I :wacko:
Indian runners are supposidly one of the best layers followed by Khakis.  I have white crested and can't fault mine. Yes tey eat scraps but only veg not like chickens who eat anything in sight!!!!

I think get ducks thats what you've got your heart set on, then perhaps a couple of chickens later to see for yourself.  Hope I've been some use??????
Let us know!!!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:17 »
What do you do with duck eggs?

How many you want depends on how many kids you have and the breed.

Our Jessica is a silverlink and lays nearly every single day - nice big brown eggs with speckles.  she's fairly large too. So, you can get a box of eggs a week just from her!
Erica is a Bovans Nera, a good layer with pale brown eggs - all perfect in shape and size! again, a box a week.

If you have 3 children (for example) and each member of the family eats 2 eggs a week as eggs and another (6 for cakes, 6 for cooking...) 12, then you'll want 4 hens.

Although, each child will want one each and you & OH will want your own, too, which would be 5. (adjustable for number of children).

And you'll want to give some away as presents - or even sell some of the extras.

Seriously, though, they are addictive, so how ever many you start with, it will not be enough!
We started with 3 - lost one to mean fox - then bought 2 ex-batts as replacements (they don't lay so many eggs once they have been gotten rid off by the farmer - we end up averaging 7 a week from the two of them)

:lol: :tongue2: :D :tongue2: :lol:

matilda duck

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:14 »

Well the same as a chicken egg they are just slightly bigger and just slightly tastier!!  They are fantastic for cooking.  Can't beat them!!!  Well you can obviously as thats what you do to eggs ::) :tongue2:

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:35 »
There's only one way to decide......

.....FIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ohmy:

scotty

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:37 »
Thanks guys, 8)

think i need to write a pros and cons list for each. i am partial to duck eggs but cleaning out a pond often? my time is limited what with work, family, horses and veggies   :ohmy:

definately having one or tuther, still have to consider the foxes! they are everywhere round us. had one cheeky one thought he would start coming into the stables at night and stealing horse food then sitting on the window ledge looking in at us! afraid i had to get him delt with.

do ducks get shut in at night like hens? or do they like doing their own thing

can you tell i know nothing on the subject ???

matilda duck

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 14:11 »
We shut our ducks in just so they can be safe from mr fox.  Nov last year I left 3 out of my 4 out as couldn't get the B****rs in!!!  Mr fox completly ATE them up!

Look into it. Take advice from all on here we all have one or the other :nowink:

Indian Runners don't really need a pond like other ducks, and to be honest are a delight.  We use one of the kids paddling pools for the other 3 and clean it out every couple of days.  Easy empty it on veg patch and refilll with hose pipe!!  Job done!

Ducks !!!!!!!! :tongue2:

scotty

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 15:05 »
oooh, thanks matildaduck,

indian runners sound good, good egg yield and smallish pond would do. going to look into them just now. so a duck house that could be closed in at night ..... :unsure: will start thinking on designs then :ohmy:

sounds like i'm heading towards ducks then! will have a million more Q's before done.

Vember

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 15:12 »
:lol:

Ducks are less fussy about their housing - no perches etc... to include.
Ducks like dipping their bills in the ground then going to the water and then repeat this until you have a muddy hole - these then appear in various places :lol:
I clean their house out more often as the bedding gets wet quickly - they do so like a bath just before bed :)

As Matilda duck says they don't need a pond and a paddling pool is just as good, every spring I buy a cheap 6ft  one from Wilkos lasts the summer and with a ramp up to it. I can spend hours watching them :lol:
But they also have 3 of these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3650141/Trail/searchtext%3ESANDPIT.htm ,  a bath and a pond but I do have 12 ducks and 5 geese :lol: I have two of the sandpits dug into the ground (pain to empty) and one on the surface (easy to empty as you just tip).

Ducks don't seem as prone to health problems as chickens are.
Ducks aren't as easy to grab for a cuddle :(

To be honest yes there are downsides but there is to any animal.
I was always told not to get ducks as they are more noisy and would alert a fox, then nearly 3 years ago I was given some and I haven't looked back, I wish I'd got some sooner :)

Note I also have a few chickens (16ish) but don't tell everyone I prefer my ducks, they're just so much fun to watch :D

Sarah :D

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 15:25 »

Well the same as a chicken egg they are just slightly bigger and just slightly tastier!!  They are fantastic for cooking.  Can't beat them!!!  Well you can obviously as thats what you do to eggs ::) :tongue2:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 15:28 »
oooh, thanks matildaduck,

indian runners sound good, good egg yield and smallish pond would do. going to look into them just now. so a duck house that could be closed in at night ..... :unsure: will start thinking on designs then :ohmy:

sounds like i'm heading towards ducks then! will have a million more Q's before done.

noooooo!
chickens!!!!

:tongue2:

ours don't use the perch anyway!

what if it doesn't rain?

:ohmy: :ohmy:

Get both!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 12:52 »
I love my ducks and would go along with all that Vember and MD say.

Very easy to look after and hardy. Do make a bit of a mess but tidy up any slugs and I water the veggies with the pond water and everything grows like wildfire!

They do need fox protection so no different to chickens there.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 15:04 »
The worst thing about this thread is that it has seriously made me want ducks!
 :tongue2:

scotty

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 20:38 »
i'm definately going for ducks! either indian runner or Khakhi campbell. i can source the second one within a 20min drive. but still keen on the first as well, but the source i found for them are 3hr away.

will keep you all posted on the construction and arrival. don't hold your breath, it will be the start of the summer.

thanks for the help in choosing, i'm will have many more Q's.

ps. can see it all in my head already, anyone got a magic wand to make it all instant? :D :D :D

xx
Ducks with Chickens

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 18:18
by Madrat
xx
Ducks and chickens together?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 09:50
by violet
xx
Ducks & Chickens

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 20:26
by Topscaff
xx
ducks with chickens

Started by adi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 09:16
by Sassy

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 29 queries.