ducks with chickens

• 4 Replies

adi

ducks with chickens
« on: January 01, 2011, 12:00 »
hi everyone. I've had 3 warrens living happily at the bottom of the garden for 2 years now, i got them for my young daughter ( at least thats what i tell people ) but now theyre all mine. i was thinking of adding to them this year but my daughter has mentoned the idea of some ducks instead. so will ducks live happily in the same enclosure or am i asking for trouble? i'm in a semi rural area but have close neighbours both sides, they love the chickens but i dont want to rock the boat. any advise on how to keep them or what breeds are best would be apreciated. thanks

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: ducks with chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:05 »
Ducks will live fine with chooks but most ducks are noisey!  Get some Muskovies as they are quite quiet and dont need loads of water etc. (im after some as well!!)

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 12:30 »
If you choose to keep ducks they are fine with chickens. I've only started keeping ducks this year and my limited experience has shown me that ducks are much less 'pushy' than hens so you will need to ensure that the ducks don't get pushed off their fair share of food. Also bear in mind that ducks have an over riding desire for water. You will need to provide them with some sort of container to get into for bathing and preening. I have been told that ducks can live without a body of water but do need to be able to access enough water to get their heads fully in for their preening. I personally feel that that is a bit harsh and provide my five ducks with a rigid plastic children's paddling pool. I empty it each day and refresh it with clean water. Ducks are not neat in their habits and splash and dabble in the water and ensuing mud, so you will need to think carefully about water disposal as you don't want your pen to become a stinking mire. They also feel perfectly free to dabble and generally filth up the hens water drinkers to. Their poop is much much wetter than hens poop and so make their house very smelly and wet. I find that I need to clean out the ducks house much more regularly than the hens so if you intend the ducks to share with the hens bear that in mind. Also if they are to share accommodation with your hens remember that they do not roost up on perches but will need an area in the hen house that they can settle for the night without being pooped on by the hens.

Best of luck.

OL

rach312

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 13:06 »
ive got 9 muscovy ducks with my chickens and they get on really well as they both can eat the same food and the muscovy's get rid of all pest too,like flies ect...they are really quiet and wag their tails like dogs lol
My ducks are housed in a different coop at night as they stop out later than the chickens plus they eat all the time.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:16 »
I know peeps that successfully keep hens and ducks together. You would need to watch out for an over-amorous drake that will mount the chooks as well! Also ensure that where they sleep the ducks will not sleep under the chickens - bit messy!! :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Ducks with Chickens

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 18:18
by Madrat
xx
Chickens and Ducks

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 20:52
by too many girls
xx
Ducks or Chickens?

Started by scotty on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 09:48
by matilda duck
xx
Chickens and Ducks together

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 14:34
by Sarah Mitchell

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 30 queries.