Ducks with Chickens

• 21 Replies

Madrat

• Experienced Member
Ducks with Chickens
« on: December 03, 2013, 18:29 »
Hi people,

We have been keeping chickens for a couple of years now and have been mostly successful and would like to keep a couple of ducks.  Can they be kept in the same area as the chickens?  would they need there own nest box/roost?  Do they eat the same food i.e layers pellets? Do I clip there wings the same as the chickens? 

Thanks in advance.

Springlands

Re: Ducks with Chickens
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:24 »
Hi Madrat - I have 11 hens and two ducks. They share the same very large run but have two separate houses. Ducks do not roost so really need to be kept separate at night. They will eat layers pellets and ours use the same treadle feeders as the hens. The most important thing is the way that you supply their water. Ducks have to be able to put their heads under water and give their feathers a wash. I have a small pool which can be washed out each day for them.

If you do a search on here you will find more information on mixing hens and ducks.

I do not clip the ducks wings and have never  had any issues. Just a word of warning - unlike hens most ducks will not take themselves off to bed at night - you will have to herd them to bed - good fun on a wet and windy night.  :)

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:53 »
I echo what Springlands has said. If you keep them with your chickens they will get pooped on! You should not need to clip their wings but it can depend on the breed so check when you purchase. If you wish to keep them with your chooks it is very advisable not to get a drake - they aren't too fussy!! and this will stress your chooks. Water is vital. I used a childrens plastic sandpit for them to swim in which is easy to wash out daily.  I got mine on freecycle. Despite the fact the ducks will dirty it immediately they will not use a dirty pond. As for where they lay it is best to keep them in their hut until they have laid or be prepared to search! If they lay outside it attracts crows and their ilk who eat the eggs. Ducks tend not to suffer from the great variety of things chooks do and are easy to look after - training them to go to bed can be both a chore and hilarious :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:37 »
- training them to go to bed can be both a chore and hilarious :)
[/quote]

I have 25 hens and  a pair of Call ducks  and they get along famously, even using the same Gandpa's feeder.  They are all mostly free range though I do have pens for quarantine and breeding.  This summer I had 2 pairs of Call ducks with 8 ducklings and although they were in their own large pen they were absolute * to get them into their coop, they like to stay out much later than chickens. Chasing them round the pen to get them to go in was like Carno's Circus.  The one night I didn't put them away, you guessed it, something took the lot!!!

Now, with these two, Bunty & Sprogget'   I let them free range with the hens but  I have trained them to go in their coop at ANY time, I just say 'bed bed'  a few times and no matter where they are on the field they toddle of to their coop. It is very funny to see.  They are not afraid of the chickens and, in fact, will give them a nip or two if they are unhappy about anything.  Great fun to watch. :)

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 14:16 »
Thanks everyone, I will get them there own little house and possibly a small run or perhaps I could put there house in the chicken run? ?  All my girls are free range so as long as they all get on there wont be any need for separate runs.  Have already got to pond sorted, Blue clam shell, will bury it in ground, very tasteful :wacko:  Would they need water in the house over night like the chickens?

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 18:37 »
If the chicken run is big enough you could have their house in with the chickens - that is what I do but I do have a very big run. I do not have water overnight either in the chicken or duck houses - I would not have thought that it was necessary.

Ducks are lovely and very cute to watch but they are very mucky but well worth keeping. Hope all goes well.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 19:49 »
thanks  ;)

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 20:12 »
OK next question,

Which bread? 

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 21:39 »
OK next question,

Which bread?

I am assuming that was a typo and you are asking what breed to get. My ducks are hybrids - not sure what they are a mix of so I do not think that I can really advise you here. Maybe Sassy or Prod would be able to advise you.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 22:07 »
 :nowink:

dyslexic fingers

Would like a duck that looks like a duck, if that makes any sense and that has good egg yield, don't fancy a calling duck think the neighbours might get annoyed.

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:01 »
For egg-laying a good strain of Khaki Campbell  - they really do look like ducks and have soft features:)

alandbailey

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 14:04 »
If one  of my ducks gets into the chicken run, it gets picked on - when all 16 get in the chooks avoid them.
I have a blue clamshell paddling pool for the ducks, the water gets brown within an hour, so I just top it up daily and clean it weekly. The ducks still use it when it is full whatever the colour.
My previous flocks of ducks learnt to put themselves to bed - but eventually a fox killed them all.
I used heras security panels to cage my 11' x 19' veg patch, including roofing it and now I let them stay out all night if they want. My duck (and the adjoining hen) compound is completely fox proof  - but not sparrow or starling proof.
I can now have morning lie-ins if I feel lazy as I replenish all the feeders and water buckets every night. :D :)

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 15:42 »
Disaster.

In that strong wind we had last week my clamshell paddling pool blew away and now has a dirty big 2 foot crack down it  :(  Have you ever tried to get a paddling pool in December ??? 

Managed to get one on ebay delivered for £24 that's bright pink and flower shaped, just need to think of a good excuse to explain why there is a bright pink flower shaped paddling pool being delivered!  The ducks are going to be a Christmas present for the wife.

madcat

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 18:20 »
Managed to get one on ebay delivered for £24 that's bright pink and flower shaped, just need to think of a good excuse to explain why there is a bright pink flower shaped paddling pool being delivered!  The ducks are going to be a Christmas present for the wife.

Erm .... your work colleague needs to keep it hidden from his daughter (pink helps there) so has asked if you can look after it for him...  That might work?

PS  Hello from a cat to a rat!   ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 18:21 by madcat »
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 18:42 »
Good good but I cant think of anywhere to hide it, presumably this person would want it no later than Christmas eve.

I wonder if I could get it under the bed :unsure:

Hello Kitty  ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 18:43 by Madrat »

xx
ducks with chickens

Started by adi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 09:16
by Sassy
xx
Chickens/Ducks

Started by Graham on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 21:26
by slowef
xx
Ducks & Chickens

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 20:26
by Topscaff
cheesy
Ducks and chickens together

Started by Peteaggi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 22:28
by Sassy

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 30 queries.