Ducks & Chickens

• 12 Replies

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
Ducks & Chickens
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:37 »
Hi please forgive my ignorance but would ducks and chickens be be okay mixed together? thanks in anticipation, Mike
Mike Rixon

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Ducks & Chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 17:30 »
Shouldn't be a problem.  They do have different accommodation needs but they should muddle along fine during the day.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 18:25 »
We have nine chickens and two ducks. They share a very large enclosed run - at night the hens have their own house and the ducks sleep in a converted Eglu. We removed the perches to make it suitable for the ducks although they prefer to sleep out doors in the cage part of the Eglu and only go inside in the wettest or coldest weather. We have not had any major problems with interaction between the ducks and hens - although the ducks would definitely be dominant. We also have a small paddling pool for the ducks - they love a swim. If that is not possible you need some sort of container filled with water so that the ducks can submerge their heads to clear there noses of mud from when they are foraging.

yacks

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 19:38 »
We have 2 ducks1 drake and 3 hens together ... I do find that the hens are bullies towards the ducks but ducks get their own back by bowling the hens over ... The only thing I find a big problem is the noise from where my broody hen goes on mad dash to eat and drink fast to get back to coup it scares ducks and the run around quacking till order is brought by me going and calming situation with lettuce lol

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:34 »
It can depend upon how active a drake is as they are not too fussy and may be quite insistent with the hens!!! :blink: :unsure:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:43 »
Ours has not tried that yet.  :lol:

khelashi

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56 »
We once had 2 drakes among our hens, which went well until spring came and hormones were boiling! The poor hens were molested so much they stopped laying altogether! We learned the hard way... :wacko: but I suppose with enough female ducks it should be fine...
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. :-)

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 19:11 »
Thanks very much for your replies, the drakes remind me of when I was young and full of testosterone ahhh those were the days lol, right next question which ones should I go for, I would be looking for eggs and meat birds any suggestions? Mike

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 22:32 »
Is the question about duck breed or chicken?

If duck I would personally go for Muscovey, not noisey, good breeder, good eggs and meat birds and don't need a huge amount of water.   ;)

mobilekat

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 08:40 »
Only thing to watch with Muscovey's is they tend to be escape artists!

They can fly very well, and have plenty of personality!
A really superb meat bird can occur if aylesbury and Muscoveys cross- this is technically a hybrid as Muscoveys are not 'true ducks', but a bit like horses and donkeys they can interbred, and you get a large duck with a slightly gamey taste!

Where I live we have a large colony of 'wild' Muscoveys, who rule the local town, an often cause traffic jams and other chaos! They have also spread down the river and are a local attraction!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 19:30 »
Hi yes sorry ducks I was on about, looks like I will get an Aylesbury drake and a couple of Muscovy ducks, what do you think?

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 21:22 »
As long as you promise loads of photos you can get whatever and as many as you like.   :blush:

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 20:26 »
ok lol

xx
ducks and chickens together?

Started by monkeyboysee on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 17:50
by poultrygeist
xx
Ducks and chickens together?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 09:50
by violet
xx
Chickens/Ducks

Started by Graham on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 21:26
by slowef
xx
Ducks with chickens

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 20:22
by Springlands

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 28 queries.