Ducks with Chickens

• 21 Replies

madcat

Re: Ducks with Chickens
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 19:04 »
 :unsure:   Where are you going to keep the ducks so she doesn't know about them? 

(Shhh, inside secret  ... wives are very good at not noticing things to their advantage!  Back seat of the car ??)   
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 19:09 »
lol.

Not actually getting the ducks, just house and pool.  Will get them after Christmas so she can pick them.

Can you imagine trying to conceal ducks! :dry:  "what's that quacking"  "its me I have wind"  :blush:

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 17:00 »
Hello everyone, good Christmas?

Wife cant wait to get her ducks  :D  problem now is no one seams to have any campbells anywhere near us   :(

What about runner ducks?

Our nearest place has Silver Appleyard, Saxony, Cayuga, and Crested.  What do you think of them?

Sassy

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 08:37 »
I know it's hard but you would be better waiting for spring and the new hatches. You don't know what you might get fobbed off with now - there are some unscrupulous breeders out there. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 13:50 »
Thats true, but the one I use a lot I trust.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 17:44 »
I have chickens and ducks together and they're fine 99% with each other of the time. I have a run 12 metres by 5 metres, fully enclosed. I've kept chickens for 5 years and ducks for 1 1/2 and if I had my time again I think I'd skip having ducks.

As fond as I am of them and their eggs I have to change their water buckets and baby bath every day; that's 6 to 9 buckets, over 100 litres. You could get away with less but then you'd have even dirtier water.

In winter the water can freeze and I'd have to transport it in - I keep them at my allotment. I go every day without fail as their water gets dirty fast. I have nipple drinkers for the chickens yet they'll still drink from the buckets. Unless you have a running water source inside their run I'd think very hard about whether you have the time for ducks. Only now do I realise how much easier it was keeping chickens.

My ducks will wait for me to empty, clean and refill the baby bath then waddle in, make eye-contact with me, and purposefully dodo in it and laugh.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 18:18 »
There at the bottom of the garden in there own area 40' x 40' approx, and we don't have a water meter so we are A OK

xx
Chickens and Ducks together

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 14:34
by Sarah Mitchell
xx
ducks with chickens

Started by adi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 09:16
by Sassy
xx
Ducks and chickens together?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 09:50
by violet
xx
Ducks & Chickens

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 20:26
by Topscaff

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 30 queries.