Rain' Rain ' Rain

• 41 Replies

clive f

• Experienced Member
Rain' Rain ' Rain
« on: February 23, 2007, 22:39 »
Could'nt  get on the lottie last weekend because of rain ground to wet so looking forward to this weekend and guess what? Yes blooming rain . When i've been at work all week i look forward to the weekend on the lottie but not so again sob sob sob :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 00:11 »
This wet weather is very frustrating especially for those who have regular jobs. Unfortunately it is beyond our control and we must grin and bear it or get wet.

The good news is that in 5 weeks time it will be light until 8pm and that gives us all a chance to sneak an hour or so  in after work.

focusonveg

same here!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 17:49 »
I feel exactly the same as you :)  I wanted to go up to my allotment today :)  to put up a couple of raised beds in  and yes it been awful, rain all day I,m in wales so not much hope aye :)
How much oil could a gumboil boil if a gumboil could boil oil hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 18:09 »
We're in Wales too - had showers on and off, but glazed the greenhouse anyway.  Just defrosting now!  Still, at least I can garden in the dry now  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 18:15 »
Peeing it down again here now, so looks like tomorrow's off. Good job I'm retired & can chose anyday. (Is there an emoticon for 'sticks tongue out')?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

focusonveg

Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 18:16 »
Well i,m going to try tomorrow hopefully with some success :D yty your in wales also weather has been trash aye?

focusonveg

Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 18:20 »
:cry:  here we are digger dave heres one that cries this is how i feel at the moment with this weather i feel like kicking every rain drop back up in the sky :lol: can,t find one with tongue out sorry haha..

DD.

• Global Moderator
Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 18:26 »
Never mind - as someone said - lighter nights will soon be here & you can nip down after tea!

I'm finding it frustrating, I've got 2 1/2 plots. I've still got 1/2 of one of the big plots to clear, although it was done last year. Problem was it hadn't been cultivated for about 8 years, so the weeds come back thick & fast. Wanted it done by now as we're starting to look at planting & sowing, rather than digging. Ah well.

yummy

Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 20:12 »
Yes rain rain rain here too. Plot was waterlogged following the snow a couple of weeks back and waterlogged again this week.

We are just starting our plot. First the snow killed the round up so we are still full of weeds and now we are desperate to dig but it is like a pond in parts.

It is a bit frustrating..

SkipRat

Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 20:20 »
Same down in Hull, Got my plot last week and am desparate to clear it/dig a bed or two before warmer weather comes  :cry:
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 20:20 »
Bit early for Round Up, methinks. The blighters need to be growing vigorously for best effect.

yummy

Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 20:24 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Bit early for Round Up, methinks. The blighters need to be growing vigorously for best effect.

Yeah so it seems. A few people said that to us but the plot committee thought it would be ok. We know bog all and they could see our plot and weather etc so thought it worth a try if they were so sure. I don't think the sudden snow helped the situation... nevermind.

Bigbadfrankie

Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 20:33 »
its so wet down here i am thinking of growing rice :lol:
always have a target
and an objective.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 20:40 »
Quote from: "yummy"

Yeah so it seems. A few people said that to us but the plot committee thought it would be ok. We know bog all and they could see our plot and weather etc so thought it worth a try if they were so sure. I don't think the sudden snow helped the situation... nevermind.

I think Muntjac said in different thread that it's best used on the mature plant late in the season, obviously you don't want to wait that long, but to have a half decent effect, it needs to be growing well & not have rain, I think it actually says for 8 hours on the bottle.

muntjac

Rain' Rain ' Rain
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 20:45 »
sure did here

round up is ok when the stuff is growing , it has a glycol additive in it that sticks the glyphos to the weed which then likes to suck in through the leaves this travels down to the roots and kills from within. only use on dry warm days ,.when no rain is forcast for a few days i would leave the round up myself till end march when everything is going .as i said before take the plastic off and let it come up.
this is when a plant is at its weakest when trying to grow for the first time .hit it when its green with a couple leaves on about 2 inches is usual..one litre can of roundup is not enough on a 30 yds by 4 yd plot i would use 4 litres but then i get it by the gallon from the farm .i dont know how much it costs anymore . what i do is i spray it in the morning early using the day to dry it fully then i hit it again about a weeek later
when i know the poison is hitting the roots.
the plant is struggling now to get as much feed to survive this attack it feeds through the sun etc on its leaves so werks harder to synthesis the bits it wants ,that is when i hit it again...... ok its not scientifically proven that werks but i see the same thing on the farm after harvest ( maybe a month after ) when we spray roundup by its commercial agricultural name and we use the max concentration allowed .what roundup you buy from stores is a 10th approx of the concentration we use .hope this helps
still alive /............

xx
rain, rain glorious rain!

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 09:43
by digger1957
xx
RAIN RAIN AND VEGETABLES

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2007, 22:36
by Annie
xx
Yay....rain!

Started by lobot on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 16:06
by cranberry
sad
B****y rain

Started by Beejay on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 19:52
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.835 seconds with 29 queries.