Carrots in containers?

• 39 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Carrots in containers?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 21:21 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
There appears to be differences in opinions on this question, not only here but with professionals too.

Well I'll stick with my 24" barrier that I know keeps the fly out, rather than half it!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

Carrots in containers?
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 21:24 »
Just to confuse you more, that's what gardeners mess about with (well, some) bug experts just say 'it rarely flies above 50cm' but sometimes it does, trust me. :lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jack russell

Carrots in containers?
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 21:30 »
On reflection grow them in buckets, baths, tubs or any type container and keep them as high from the ground as you can to get the best results :D happy carrot growing :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Carrots in containers?
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 21:32 »
I could confuse the carrot fly and grow some mint in pots in between the containers?  Or lavender.  

It may perhaps seem a waste of time perhaps to some people to put it in pots but I've only just gained a plot and the soil is very heavy clay soil to the point that it is blue/grey or better known as 'glay' probably the worst soil to have in some respects.  So for root vegetables I thought it might be a great idea to grow them in containers, well parsnips and carrots anyway.  Although I think I am possibly a bit too late for parsnips now.

I thought I would be killing two birds with one stone as to avoiding the dreaded carrot fly as well.
Teen

diggerjoe

Carrots in containers?
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 14:59 »
I have just - perhaps rashly - ordered a couple of those 1 tonne woven bag things you get sand and stuff in from builders merchants about yard square i shall turn the top down halfway and fill them for my carrots - i thought this would give me bags of growing room - i have a huge and i mean huge heap of soil to go in them and they were only £8.17 each - be interesting to see how the carrots like them :)

Wildeone

Carrots in containers?
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 15:04 »
Thats a great idea DJ!

Just half fill and turn the sides up and you've got your barrier - altho' it might not be too pretty! :roll:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
carrots in containers
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 22:11 »
Having checked this thread out after I bought the sand (building sand) and used a plantpot 9" deep.
 Well I knew the compost would be better being sandy just hadn't realised it had to be coarse sandy, and thought any med sized plantpot would be ok; what are my chances with home made compost mixed with multipurpose compost and building sand in a 9 " pot ???

Will my carrot seeds chanteney red core 2, grow, at all? ?

Will I be pushing my luck growing cucs & toms in these ?

Managed to acquire a few today y'see  :wink:

growmore

• http://www.braa.co.uk
Carrots in containers?
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 23:34 »
I've heard that carrot fly can fly higher than the 2' the RHS say - but they can't fly very well and although they can smell your carrots way up there the chances of landing on them are pretty remote as by the time they descend on them they  are more likely to be on your neighbours cabbages!  :D

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Carrots in containers?
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 08:51 »
Quote from: "growmore"
I've heard that carrot fly can fly higher than the 2' the RHS say - but they can't fly very well and although they can smell your carrots way up there the chances of landing on them are pretty remote as by the time they descend on them they  are more likely to be on your neighbours cabbages!  :D

That is spot on....

they can climb but there ability to descend quickly is restricted so find it difficult to get up over one side of a barrier and down before clearing the second barrier.... its as simple as that I believe, as long as the barriers are reasonably close together (dont ask me what that distance is lol )
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Carrots in containers?
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 13:16 »
How long before they show signs of life? I planted some buckets with carrots nearly two weeks ago, in a sunny corner of the garden, but still no leaves trying to appear.

Should be out of the reach of carrot flies though - on top of guinea pig hutches - I have to lift them down to peer in the top of the bucket!

xx
Carrots in containers,help please.

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 09:34
by SSM
xx
Carrots in containers

Started by madcat on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 10:50
by gobs
xx
Carrots in containers

Started by Merce on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 09:29
by SSM
xx
Carrots in Containers

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 13:42
by TheModfather

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 31 queries.