Carrots in containers,help please.

• 12 Replies

aubergine

« on: January 09, 2009, 14:32 »
Hi, I want to try carrots in containers this year as I had real problems with carroy root fly last year  :oops:  .Can anyone give me some advice??
Container size -how deep?
Soil/spent compost..or both?
Drill drainage holes or not?
What varieties are most suitable? any advice greatly appreciated,thanks in advance :) .Aubergine

GreenOwl

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 14:48 »
I grew carrots in buckets last year.  Most successful crop I've yet had (although that isn't saying much  :oops: )

Container size -how deep?  - Depends if carrot fly is a problem.  To avoid carrot fly, container needs to be either about 1m deep or put the container on something to raise plants that high.  My buckets were fine.

Soil/spent compost..or both? - Either or both.  Carrots are supposed to do better on poorer/sandy soil but I think thats due to no stones so no forking.

Drill drainage holes or not? - Yes, absolutely or they'll drown when it rains.

Variety? - Any I would have said.  Maybe stump-rooted (ie earlies) because they are shorter.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 14:49 »
Container size -how deep? - Depends if carrot fly is a problem. To avoid carrot fly, container needs to be either about 1m deep or put the container on something to raise plants that high

Can I ask why  :? my carrots were in a pot and got attacked by carrot fly

aubergine

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 14:52 »
thanks GreenOwl very helpful. Aubergine

GreenOwl

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 15:01 »
Apparently carrot fly don't fly that high.

mashauk

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 16:21 »
My carrots in a bathtub were the best ever I've grown (even won first prize at the local green fair!) - and because we riddled the soil first as it was a relatively easy job they didn't get gnarled and weird shaped (our allotment is very stony)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 16:28 »
I grow all my carrots in containers..short stubby ones (cant remember the variety off the top of my head) and they were among my best crops last year, I even managed to get all my Christmas dinner carrots out of one container, which was my ultimate goal.
I use ordinary multipurpose (peat free) in deep (about a foot and a half) containers and havent had a problem so far, Id rather grow carrots in containers even though I have a lotty

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 17:52 »
I grew carrots in containers at home and down the allotment. At home I just used low patio pots as I figured there weren't likely to be a lot of root flies around a David wilson estate! Very few people grow veg in their small gardens and we all have high fences.
Down the allotment, where I know there's root flies I put the tubs ontop of my water butts. Some people use old butts or bins to get above the low flying root fly (I've heard different max heights - from 18 inches to 2 ft) but you either need a lot of compost/soil or to fill the bottom with rubble.

philskin

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 18:35 »
hello may i add my two penny worth ,grew early nantes in the surplus  containers that i grew my spuds in , But i put them on top of the breeze block wall of my compost heap we were still pulling up carrots last sunday, no sign of carrot fly ,but you must drill holes in the bottom  ,heres a pic of them on the wall ,the wire is to stop next doors bl***y cats

If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 19:13 »
I grew my Chanteneys & Early Nantes in fancy 1/2 barrels.  You don't need to go to these lengths.  I'd guess short rooted carrot will grow in less than 12 to 14 inches of soil which is all my carrots had to play with and they were fine.

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2008/06/fancy-pants.html

When the carrots finished we used the containers for salad so you get plenty of bang for your compost buck.  I'm not sure if I could have planted more carrots following the first crop.  It didn't seem like a smart idea.

The down side is that you are limited for space so there are fewer carrots and they are smaller.  Up side is they are easier to thin, they are cleaner and with no fly marks.

One last thing the soil in containers gets colder quicker (and warmer) than the soil.  If you can find the container a little protection from the elements this will improve the quality of the crop.

I'll be planting my first container carrots in March if it's warm enough.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 20:18 »
I grew carrots in two plastic bins from Wilkinsons. It took a bag and a half (per bin) to fill with compost (guess I could have filled the bottem with soil) but they were the best carrots ever. The carrots grow very straight as the compost is so soft and no stones to cause them to fork. The early ones especially didn't even need peeling as the skin was so soft. Still got one batch left to pull. Once the bin is empty I will use the compost to top up my raised beds.

Carrot root fly can not get above above about 22 inches or so. No problems what so ever with them. Unlike my ground level grown parsnips......

Yes drill drainage holes.

I've got plans for at least two more bins\barrels this year and to start some off early in Feb with a fleece cover.
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 17:42 »
I use an old bath from Freecycle - Avacado and pink seem to be particularly popular colours for chucking out! Prop up on some scrap wood, take out the plug, fill with 10cm of rubble for drainage then some old carpet on top to stop the soil washing out. Then 30- 40cm of sieved soil.

Worked for me, but it's certainly not pretty in pink. I think I'll surround my productive blot on the landscape with smaller containers of flowers and herbs this year.
Organic

SSM

Re: Carrots in containers,help please.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 09:34 »
I grow my carrots in 1200 x 900 x 1000mm high timber box's, which i line with plastic, and fill to within 100mm of the top with a mixture of good clean top soil, grit sand and growbag.

Cover box's with glass to warm the soil, when soil is at a reasonable temperature, sow the seed, place the glass back onto the box' (removing on warm days) when seeds imerge, remove glass and cover with very fine mesh until carrot tops reach mesh.

I have always understood that carrot fly only fly to approximately 450 to 500mm above ground level, and is at its worst during the months of May & September.

NOTE: Keep box's away from any high objects-plants etc.

Hope this is of some use.

xx
Carrots in containers

Started by Merce on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 09:29
by SSM
xx
Carrots in containers

Started by madcat on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 10:50
by gobs
xx
Carrots in containers?

Started by sophiejo on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 13:16
by Angelah
xx
Carrots in Containers

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 13:42
by TheModfather

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 37 queries.