Best time to put my tomato seeds in.

• 6 Replies

LILLILEAF

Best time to put my tomato seeds in.
« on: February 17, 2023, 16:03 »
I am wanting to start my tomato seeds is the beginning of march a good time?, i don't have heat mats or lights, but they will be in the kitchen where it is nice and warm.
Doing some new varieties this year i would like to make my own tomato sauce as in ketch up,fingers crossed.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Best time to put my tomato seeds in.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 16:18 »
Mine germinate just fine on my kitchen windowsill - they should take 7-10 days to come through, and then 3-4 weeks to get big enough to plant out (you can leave them longer than that but they might need repotting before going to their final planting location.)

I plant mine out in the greenhouse around mid May, so don't sow them until the beginning of April - I'd leave it a couple of weeks longer if I was planning on growing them outdoors.

I know some people start theirs much earlier than that, but I don't like taking risks and am not desperate to be the first person in Sheffield to pick a ripe tomato.  :wub:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 16:20 »
No, too early unless you have a heated greenhouse to plant them out into. They will just get leggy as light levels are not that high this early in the year. I’d say start of April which gives six weeks before starting to harden off in middle of May ready to plant out into an unheated greenhouse. Maybe start a small number as an experiment and plant out early in the hope of a mild spring, but I wouldn’t risk doing this with all of them as a late frost could wipe everything out.

Just seen your post JayG, great minds think alike :lol:

missmoneypenny

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 17:42 »
I’m starting to get tomato fever too. Probably unwise but I’m going to sow a few this weekend ( the larger, slower growing varieties) and some more in 2 weeks. I’m in London, but don’t have a greenhouse.
Trying totally new ( to me) varieties this year. Stupice, DR Carolyn, Estate and Costolutto Genovese.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 21:05 »
"Too late" vs. "just right" or "too early" depends on when you expect to put them in the ground, whether "ground" is outdoors in the garden / plot, or pots in a greenhouse.

My predicted last frost date is April 15, so I want big strapping plants by then.  Last year, we actually had frost later than that, but I want my plants to be ready.  I started my tomatoes in late January this year.  Initially, they were indoors, started under lights.  Mine are in three flats, not too difficult for me to move, so on days when it is warm enough (my rule is 10 C or warmer), the flats all go outdoors on a bench to get the sunlight, then move back indoors before the chill at night.  Here it is mid-February, we have already had stretches of a few days where the flats haven't needed to come back indoors.  Tonight they will, it will freeze hard tonight.  I admit this is a lot of fussing around, and probably not for everyone, but I already have sturdy but compact / small tomato plants.  By late March they will probably be in pint or quart-sized containers, mostly outdoors, but occasionally brought in (open garage) to shelter through a cold night under a tarp.  By that last frost date, they will be in half-gallon containers or larger, ready to plant outdoors when the conditions permit.  You can "extend the boundaries" a bit by selecting tomatoes bred for colder climates (Stupice, Anna Russian, Azoychka, or Beaverlodge Slicer are just a few examples).

If you try this, just modify to meet your own conditions and preferences.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 22:23 »
It's about time for starting mine  ::) By April, I always get to the stage of putting them out in the greenhouse, or on the sunny/sheltered side of the hedge during the day, if it is warm, and then bringing them back inside before it gets dark. As they get potted on as they need it, they eventually get heavy and mean a lot of trips in and out.
When I finally, get fed up with that they stay in the greenhouse, but get fleeced if the forecast is for a chilly night. They're usually fine, but if we do get a late very cold/frosty night, which turns them blue , they don't recover  :(
That's when I have to buy some plants from the garden centre  :lol:  I haven't had to do that, for years though.....

LILLILEAF

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 15:40 »
sorry forgot to say i put them in the greenhouse when they are strong enough, there is no growing anything tall here in wales where i am its way to windy >:(.
So i don't need to worry  about being a late starter then :lol: thanks everyone. lillileaf.

xx
Tomato time looming......

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 11:16
by wil4025
xx
Right time to pot on Tomato Seedlings

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 18:31
by skatenchips
clip
time for tomato sauce!

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 28, 2015, 19:50
by Thrutchington
xx
Tomato ripening time...

Started by jwhataylor on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 07:17
by Susan K

Page created in 0.978 seconds with 37 queries.