Right time to pot on Tomato Seedlings

• 3 Replies

skatenchips

Right time to pot on Tomato Seedlings
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:55 »

As its our 1st year at trying to grow tomatoes or indeed ANYTHING from seed im hoping your answers will get us off and running.

we have planted some tommy seeds in mid feb in the kitchen (various varieties) and dont ask me why we did them in feb....(I just did) as I have not seen anything grow from seed before hence me not knowing how long things take to germinate and grow to a transplantable size.

The piccies show our Tommys @ between 3 to 5 cms height with 2 leaves and was wondering at what size/height they would be best potted on.

We have had all manner of other seedlings in the kitchen that have gone "leggy" and fallen over and died hence me not wanting to lose our toms as they seem to be doing OK.

yes,I could have Googled an answer....but id rather get various opinions from seasoned
lotty growers.

Cheers all

Gazza

Springlands

Re: Right time to pot on Tomato Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:08 »
Hi Gazza - your seedlings already look a bit leggy and you need to pot them on ASAP. I would suggest that you pot them in individual pots making sure that you plant them so that most of the stem is buried in the potting compost - the leaves should nearly but not quite sit on the compost. That way they will not fall over and the tomatoes will develop a root system from the buried stem. Keep them moist but do not over water as this will help the tomatoes develop their root system. Another thought - decide how many plants you want to grow on and then pick the least leggy to pot up + a few extras just in case. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 13:26 »
Stand a bit of tin foil up on the room side of the pots to reflect the light back onto the seedlings, this really helps improve light levels, and helps stop them going leggy.

skatenchips

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 18:31 »
My thanks to you both,I will pot em on toot sweet  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along with my aubergines and chillies/peppers.

Like the reflection idea too.... ;)

Cheers

Gazza

xx
Tomato Seedlings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 11:13
by DD.
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by AussieInFrance on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 13:10
by Goosegirl
xx
tomato seedlings

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 21:19
by starry
xx
Tomato seedlings - how do I now tell which is which??

Started by sunlover on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 16:57
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 38 queries.