Onions

• 9 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Onions
« on: March 19, 2011, 00:43 »
I bought some onion seed a month back and have noticed that some of the white onions are starting to sprout in the back and some of the red onions are starting to wither dry pruning for want of a better word. I'm worried that if I don't plant out now I will loose the seeds but am worried that we still have morning frosts. Would it be safe to plant out the onions now or should I hold back?

Also picking three of these what would be safe to plant out now? and should I take any precautions?

1. Runner Bean Enorma
2. Swede Marian
3. Cabbage Savoy Perfection
4. Cauliflower ( All year round )?
5. Broccoli Green Sprouting Calabrese
6. Parsnip Gladiator
7. Beetroot Boltardy
8. Carrot Rainbow mix & Fly away F1
9. Pea Feltham First

I am also thinking about growing some Tomatoes in containers however I don't have a greenhouse to start them what type of Tomatoe is hardy enough to plant straight out?

Lastly I have bought a streawberry runner that I want to plant in a tub do I need to cover with some black platic to protect it from frost?

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 00:50 by billathome65 »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

m1ckz

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55 »
do you mean onion sets ?
mine have been in a few weeks now,sure is a sharp from this morning.
my cabbage an couli seedlings are sitting outside,i think they can take it
tomato is a no nooo yet too early for beans i think
u will get lots of answers today though,,good luck

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:41 »
So many questions in one post, Bill. I'll pick a couple.

I'll tell you what NOT to plant out/sow first:

Runner beans - cannot go out until all threat of frost is past - I sow mine in a cold greenhouse in about a month's time.

Swede: another 2 months at least - I sow direct in the soil and then wait for the club root - but you'll probably be OK.

The rest you'd probably get away with if your back garden is well sheltered.

As for tomatoes, do you intend trying to start those yourself from seed, or buy plants in?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:05 »
Hi m1ckz the onions are baby ones in a bag is that sets?? don't know the terminology yet :blush:

Hi DD thanks for that advice the garden is quite well shaded so that's a good thing as for the Tomatoes I hadn't thought whether  to do seeds or buy the plant what would you suggest? I don't mind waiting a month or two if I can do the Tomatoes from seed outside but if that is a no no then can you advise on the plants?.

Also the strawberry runner and the onions is it safe to plant out now? Sorry for all the questions but I need a lot of advice  ::) ::) ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08 »
Tomato seed outside is a definite no no, for me anyway.

My tomatoes destined outside, will be sown indoors next month and gradually acclimatised to the wider world.

Benandbill

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 10:43 »
m1ckz, are you sure your cabbage and cauli seeds can go outside?  Mine have just got quite tall so I've re-potted them all, not v/leafy, but they're still all indoors.  If they can go out the back I might do that as it's getting a bit cluttered in here.

DD, when you say that about broad beans and frost, I hope you mean broad bean plants and not the actual broad beans themselves?  I planted mine out last weekend after soaking them in parafin for an hour or 2 to deter the mice but I know we've had fros since.

Onions.  I have a question as well about these.  I have 2 lots of seeds.  I have Brunswick and White Lisbons.  The instructions on Garden Treasures aren't very good and I can't tell which of these it's the right time to sow if any, and if they should be sown, whether I should do it straight down the allotment or in trays in the house?

Benandbill

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:32 »
Sorry DD, just realised you said runners and not broad beans!!  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 13:30 »
Onions need to be sown in trays on the windowledgeIMO.
When they germinate they can go out into a cold greenhouse or cold frame until they are big enough to plant.

Benandbill

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 17:53 »
mumofstig, thanks for that.  Of the 2 varieties I've mentioned here, the spring onion and the Brunswick, which would you suggest sowing and an I too arly or late??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 18:02 »
I'd advise you to buy in tomato plants Bill. 

You probably don't want loads so it shouldn't work out expensive, plus you can buy 1 of each of the varieties you fancy.

Page created in 0.833 seconds with 30 queries.