Duds ?

• 3 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Duds ?
« on: February 18, 2023, 16:36 »
Three weeks ago I removed my Javelin early potato seed from the salad draw of the fridge, but up till now they show no sign at all of chitting. Is it possible that they can be nonviable? If so I will head out to Wilko's and try to take new ones. As a footnote the king edward main crop seed seems to be chitting like crazy, even inside the fridge.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Duds ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 10:04 »
Unlikely, but if your PJ's look to be in reasonable condition, they might have been sprayed with a sprouting inhibitor.

If so, the inhibitor could well be inside rather than on the surface of the tubers, but it might be worth giving them a good soak in water in the hope of reducing the effect.

I'm assuming the KE's chits are long and white if they've been kept in the dark - they all need to be in a reasonably light, frost-free place at this time of year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 13:07 »
Thanks JayG. I will try that with the Javelin, and the KE chits are anything from 5 to 40mm long. Both are out of the fridge, and on a north facing window sill.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 15:00 »
I'd recommend snapping off the longest of the chits - if they avoid drying out and shrivelling away beforehand they'll still be likely to snap off anyway when planting out.

The tubers should produce a few new chits before planting, but it doesn't really matter if they don't as long as you've got a few strong green/purple chits on each tuber.

Page created in 0.587 seconds with 33 queries.