Apples amd pears crop

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Apples amd pears crop
« on: September 10, 2022, 16:00 »
I have about 15 apple and pear trees (too much land to fill!) and this year's crop of both apples and pears is pathetic. Plenty of fruit (apart from Egremont Russett) but apart from the Granny Smiths, they are tiny compared with past years. I assume that this is due to the very dry conditions?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Apples amd pears crop
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 17:03 »
I think that was the problem. Here, there were not any late frosts, which meant that a lot of fruit set, but there wasn't enough rain for them to fatten up. More and more of mine have dropped as times gone by.
I've just been using the windfalls in pies and cakes. More collected today for jam and chutney  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 17:13 »
e had quite a picking of both apples and plumbs although we only have one apple and one plumb they where of plenty the wife made many jars of plumb jam enough to last us for twelve months and we still have lots stored in the greenhouse to freeze and possibly to give away any surplus

as for pears when we visited our daughter down in Ipswich we raided her pear tree and bought several bags of pears back home with us we also have been picking blackberries and blueberries out of our garden so we can't complain about not having any soft fruit this season so plenty of apple plumb and blackberry pies lovely jubbly  :D

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 18:05 »
This year I've had a massive crop off my Bramley apple tree, but then, I only had three apples on it last year.
I have had thirty pears off a young red Williams tree and what looks like a heavy crop on my other pear tree, which is a cross between a comice and something else, but the name escapes me.  I don't like this growing older business, words keep falling out of my brain and then I remember them again when it's too late to matter.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 05:47 »
Ist Williams pear yesterday - a faller! Perfick!

The Braeburn/Bramley 'Siamese Twin' seems OK for it's third year here but the Bramleys are very small! The plum did nothing though...

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 11:09 »
We've got a lot of apples on our trees for the first time since they were heavily pruned before we came here two years ago. Unfortunately, something has been eating the eaters from the outside in except for what we believe is a cooker apple variety.  We bought a new one this year which is in a tub and that's been got at as well despite spraying it with a fungicide/ insecticide mix. Anyone got any ideas as to what crittur is doing this?
Apple problem 1.jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 12:55 »
It could be Bitter Pit GG, which is caused by dry weather.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 11:35 »
I grow two old variety apple trees, Winter Greening and Norfolk Royal. Last year we didnt have any apples at all from the Winter Greening, this year the branches are straining under the weight of so many large apples! The Norfolk Royal is young and being trained as a cordon, this is the first year that it has produced and the apples are gorgeous. The only problem we had was during the extreme heat a few of the apples not shaded by leaves got scorched and were not edible.

xx
Apples and pears

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 06:11
by kentishlad
xx
Apples, pears & plums

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 10:02
by gobs
xx
First All My Pears Fell Off - Now My Apples Are Too!!!

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:27
by Swing Swang
xx
Apples, plums and pears

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 10:32
by erikaz1

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 30 queries.