First All My Pears Fell Off - Now My Apples Are Too!!!

• 2 Replies

whitespirit66

At the beginning of April, I moved into a bungalow (I'm only 42!) with a young pear and young apple tree.

First, what looked like a really healthy crop of pears for a small tree all fell off when they were small- bar 3. Now the same is happening with the immature apples on the other tree.

Is there anything I can do?

Trillium

Re: First All My Pears Fell Off - Now My Apples Are Too!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:24 »
There's no way to stop the dropping. But do check for what could be stressing the trees to do so. A list of possibles is not enough water deep at the roots, the tree is hungry, other elements are interfering with the tree (like other tree roots, a recently added support post for the trees, drift from someone's Roundup spray, etc), or grubs attacking the roots. Eliminate all the possibles and let us know what you're left with.

Swing Swang

Re: First All My Pears Fell Off - Now My Apples Are Too!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:27 »
Hopefully the 'June Drop' won't cause all your apples to disappear and this natural thinning process will result in fewer, but larger, fruit.

Agree with Trillium, maybe something stressed your trees - it's been quite a dry spring where I am for example, or maybe they cropped very heavily last year and they've decided to take a rest this year (seriously!).

I had the same problem with my morello cherries this year, in my case I think thee tree didn't get enough water. Because it's planted on boggy(ish) ground I seriously improved the drainage and planted it on a raised mound, which coupled with the lack of supplementary watering probably stresssed it too much.

Hope this helps,

SS

xx
Apples and pears

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 06:11
by kentishlad
xx
Apples amd pears crop

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 12, 2022, 11:35
by Grubbypaws
xx
Apples, pears & plums

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 10:02
by gobs
xx
Apples, plums and pears

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 10:32
by erikaz1

Page created in 0.811 seconds with 36 queries.