Apples, plums and pears

• 18 Replies

erikaz1

Re: Apples, plums and pears
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 17:06 »
I don't know if my experience is in the slightest bit valid. My mum bought me two apple trees for Christmas, one cooking and one eating. Although there was a fair bit of blossom on the eating tree, I only have one fruit that's getting fatter by the day. I know they're very young trees (came to be looking like dead sticks), but could anyone tell me how long I'm going to have to wait for them to produce something worthwhile please?

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 21:05 »
This area of the N West seems to be bucking the general trend. Been out today "assisting" the June drop all apples doing very well, pears ok Victoria plum looks like best crop for 5 years. Lost about 20% of damson crop to "plum pocket" but still a good crop remaining.

Raspberries and logan berries look like being best ever and strawbs outstanding yield and quality.

shame about the beans and tomatoes......

BabbyAnn

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 10:16 »
I don't know if my experience is in the slightest bit valid. My mum bought me two apple trees for Christmas, one cooking and one eating. Although there was a fair bit of blossom on the eating tree, I only have one fruit that's getting fatter by the day. I know they're very young trees (came to be looking like dead sticks), but could anyone tell me how long I'm going to have to wait for them to produce something worthwhile please?

To answer your question, expect trees to take up to 3-5 years before producing any decent amount of fruit, but thereafter a mature tree will be very productive.  Ideally you should take fruit off newly planted young trees especially in the first year so that all the energy is diverted into growing, especially a good root system.  In the long term this will produce larger crops - fruit trees are an investment so it's better to have strong healthy trees from the beginning.

erikaz1

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 10:32 »
Thank you very much for the advice. It's greatly appreciated.

xx
Apples, pears & plums

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 10:02
by gobs
xx
Damsons, plums, apple and pears

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 22:27
by solway cropper
xx
Apples and pears

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 06:11
by kentishlad
xx
First All My Pears Fell Off - Now My Apples Are Too!!!

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:27
by Swing Swang

Page created in 2.973 seconds with 30 queries.