Apples, plums and pears

• 18 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Apples, plums and pears
« on: July 01, 2015, 14:40 »
2015 looks like being an almost total wash-out.

Out of 7 apple trees, only 3 (Laxton's Superb and Egremont Russet) are bearing fruit. Three pear trees with no fruit at all, one cherry with a few fruits and only one out of two Victoria plums fruiting. I put this down to the very cold May and early June in North Cumbria and a noticeable lack of pollinating insects.

Anyone else similarly disappointed?

Goosegirl

Re: Apples, plums and pears
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 14:48 »
That's just made me go out to my old inherited Bramley tree and - nope! Can see a one and haven't seen the usual "June drop" either.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

crh75

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 16:18 »
My old apple trees are covered, but there hasn't been the June drop yet - going to be a July drop this year!

The new fruit trees are too new to expect anything this year.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 17:09 »
Not much on my apple trees, but my Opal plum is absolutely loaded for the first time since planting 5 years ago. Biggest previous crop was 6 plums. Will have to work out what to do with them now.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 17:10 »
Same here. My two cherry trees were laden with blossom, but the resulting cherries are very sparse, even though I tried to hand pollinate them when I realised the weather was too cold for the bees. The pear tree at home was also covered in blossom - result - one pear!  On the allotment, my Bramley that fruited so well last year has only about half a dozen apples, but the Lord Lambourne eating apple has loads of fruit, and it's only about ten feet away from the Bramley.   I guess Mother Nature is totally unpredictable.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 18:55 »
I have one 3 yr old Victoria plum that's got quite a lot of fruit and a 2yr old that's got no fruit! My 2yr old cherry has about 10 cherries and my pot grown 10 yr old is covered in cherries but my Dad's been  feeding it with tomato food nearly everyday. We've also got a 10 yr old potted James grieve apple which is fruiting well and a 4yr old cox's orange which is fruiting for the first time! But I've noticed that the old crab apples around the garden don't have much fruit this year!
But I think my greengage is going to beat them all it's absolutely covered in fruit :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 19:25 »
Strangely enough, despite the scarcity of hard fruit, my blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes are loaded

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 23:42 »
I would say down here (south of Watford) ..... fruit, raspberries, gooseberries etc. are laden.  Fruit trees..... cherry very good, apples both eating and cooking are overloaded., pear which has 2 varieties on it - very full. So whilst nobody expected those cold winds and nasty near frosts in may to produce anything .... we maybe have a bumper crop coming?

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23 »
Our three apple trees are laden with fruit, even after a serious June Drop, but we have more aphid attack than we've ever seen before!

Soft fruit is looking the best ever...

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 06:28 »
Apples ok plums and damson nil
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 10:18 »
Seems to be a North South divide due to different weather conditions. Although colder than normal here in May and June, not as bad as 'up north'. Apples and plums developing well so far. Had June drops in last week or so. last year June drops were all the apples and I had none develop  :(. This year is looking much better.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:19 by heygrow »

simonwatson

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 10:40 »
My Bramley is covered in apples and even the new trees are trying to bear fruit. Cherries are covered in fruit. I think as well as the north-south divide there's also an east-west one.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 08:00 »
My Bramley is covered in apples and even the new trees are trying to bear fruit. Cherries are covered in fruit. I think as well as the north-south divide there's also an east-west one.
You could be right there, we are on the east side of the frozen north and my young trees that have all been in less than 2 years have all got their first fruits.  Not loads but not bad and I can't wait to sample them.  Whether the cherries will stay the course remains to be seen as the tee-pee thing we erected to keep of the pigeons fell apart after some strong winds so now there are cd's dangling from the tree as recommended in previous posts. Will report back on that one!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 14:02 »
I put this down to the very cold May and early June ... and a noticeable lack of pollinating insects.

I think you might be right - it might depend on when the blossom was out and the weather at the time, but my Victorian plum tree is not as laden as usual, but on the other hand the Bramley and Discovery apples and the Conference pears are going to be a bumper crop

grendel

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 15:15 »
our plum isn't doing much but our apple tree is already groaning under the weight of fruit (and the apples from this can get up to a pound each) we are having the june drop, but there are already apples turning red and about 2" diameter - about half their normal finished diameter. I have a feeling we may be making cider and apple juice this year.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Apples, pears & plums

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 10:02
by gobs
xx
Damsons, plums, apple and pears

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 22:27
by solway cropper
xx
Apples and pears

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 06:11
by kentishlad
xx
First All My Pears Fell Off - Now My Apples Are Too!!!

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:27
by Swing Swang

Page created in 1.403 seconds with 37 queries.