Frost warning!

• 95 Replies

AnneB

Re: Frost warning!
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2020, 11:15 »
I am leaving mine on until Thursday morning.  Otherwise it would mean 2 trips to the allotment daily first thing and last thing.  I don't think the spuds will come to any harm in that space of time.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2020, 11:35 »
I would agree, there will be some very cold winds which could damage leaves. Leave it in place, as AnnB says, a few days won't do any harm.

al78

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2020, 11:46 »
Well it did frost here and the fleece stayed put weighed down with bricks.

It was difficult to get everything covered but I did. It looks as if we will continue to have frosts for the next 3 nights. Am I OK to leave the fleece on for that length of time or should I go to the effort of taking it off during the day?

I have fleece over the French beans and gem squash in the greenhouse, and I'm inclined to leave it there until later in the week. The fleece will have the additional benefit of reducing the intensity of the sunlight, avoiding scorching of the leaves.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 11:47 »
My garden until Thursday morning then  :)

Note the radiator in the mini greenhouse with my borlotti beans!
frostprotection.jpg

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2020, 17:00 »
Just covered my spuds in bags at home with a combination of fleece and a long cloche hopefully the fleece won’t blow off. Says 1 degree here so frost seems pretty likely.
Tomatoes will come in from conservatory to main house they won’t be warm enough otherwise. Hopefully warm enough to put them out on the plot next week.
Keep digging

al78

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2020, 21:06 »
Over the last 24 hours, max 25C, min 14C, allowing for some overreading, greenhouse temperature good for the beans and squash. It shouldn't overheat by day now, because little sunshine is forecast after tomorrow morning. Fleece will come off and vents opened on Saturday when temperatures outside have recovered to near normal.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2020, 08:58 »
Overnight it was down to 1.5C in my greenhouse - I'm glad that I moved all the tender stuff indoors to be on the safe-side ;)

al78

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2020, 12:07 »
Overnight it was down to 1.5C in my greenhouse - I'm glad that I moved all the tender stuff indoors to be on the safe-side ;)

Are you in a frost pocket? It wasn't expected to get below 4C in Horsham, and there was no visible frost this morning. Is your greenhous actually doing anything to keep the overnight temperature above ambient?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2020, 12:29 »
I wouldn't say it's a frost pocket, my garden next to the railway line and the cold NE wind was blowing straight across the tracks and into the garden. The prevailing wind is from the S/SSW from which direction the greenhouse/garden is well sheltered.
I've always assumed that other than giving protection from wind my greenhouse does nothing to keep the overnight temperature above ambient.

Nobbie

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2020, 14:31 »
Well, that’s annoying. Potatoes frosted last night at allotment despite forecast no lower than last week when they were ok🙁. Luckily the squash under cloches were ok🙂 and the potatoes will recover.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2020, 14:47 »
Well, that’s annoying. Potatoes frosted last night at allotment despite forecast no lower than last week when they were ok🙁. Luckily the squash under cloches were ok🙂 and the potatoes will recover.

We had quite a sharp frost here last night. It is not meant to frost tonight but I am taking no chances and leaving the fleece on until Thursday. Sorry about your potatoes, I hope that they recover.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2020, 14:51 »
my potatoes took a hit last night...each one had about 1/3 of the leaves that had grown through my earthing up the other day looked very sorry for themselves....I hope they come back. :(  I have placed some mesh tunnels over them for the next couple of nights, hopefully that will be enough to keep the next frosts at bay, but that's all I had to hand. 
2 courgette plants and a pumpkin have totally been decimated, although I knew I was taking a risk and have spares at home to replace them, I was just just running out of space.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2020, 15:29 »
Just got back from the plot and people have been hit hard by last nights frost. Even under fleece the spuds have been touched.

Any toms, beans or courgettes plated out are a goner.  Thursday AM is going to be another chilly one so will leaved everything covered up.

At least there is still time to plant some more.

Silva

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2020, 15:35 »
Feeling quite exasperated as a lot of my plants have needed to go out due to a flourish of growth during the hot weather. Three tomatoes and 2 peppers are already planted in the polytunnel as they simply got too big to keep inside so I expect they've bitten the dust. I would usually have plenty of backups but three got snapped in the wind whilst hardening off (they were in a sheltered spot- but not sheltered enough apparently!). I'm also worried that I will need to isolate and the plants will never make it to the allotment!

Posts on the allotment group suggest a hard frost last night and damage to potato plants. I'd hoped it was ok as temperature near my house only got down to 4 and it was quite windy, but the site is a bit of a frost pocket. I'd earthed up as much as possible but they were rather tall already. All in all, and with my cucurbits now suffering from some sort of disease, not a great start to the year!  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2020, 15:50 »
Temperature got down to 1.2C at about 0100 this morning, which coincided with the breeze dropping away to almost nothing.  :(

The odd potato leaf sticking out after my earthing up/mulching is looking a bit off-colour, all my other at-risk plants are still stuck on every available indoor windowsill, no doubt wondering whether they're ever going to experience life in the great outdoors (bit like me really!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Frost Warning

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 13:54
by Springlands
xx
Frost warning

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 08:05
by Grubbypaws
xx
warning!!! Frost

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 08:27
by Lottiegob
xx
Ground frost warning

Started by Sven The Swede on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 07:18
by Sven The Swede

Page created in 0.633 seconds with 45 queries.