Frost warning!

• 95 Replies

MarkC

Re: Frost warning!
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2020, 14:53 »
Almost all tatties at our allotments got frost nipped on Mon/Tues. I earthed up the maincrop rows as they were only just through. Others were too high to do that in most cases. Only two of the plots at the upper end sheltered from the N wind seem to have escaped the worst of it. I think we may get the same tonight. At home, just over a mile away my two containers of tatties were fine.

Couple of folk who had runner beans out under fleece had them pretty much wiped out at allotment. Mine and french beans are still just germinating in greenhouse. Moved sweetcorn, courgettes and smaller tomato plants into conservatory. Larger toms had fleece over them. I think it'll be ok here after tonight.

Growster...

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2020, 15:24 »
It really is b-clenching time, isn't it!

Do you, or don't you...?

I've got beans hardening off outside, and must remember to pop them back home in a couple of hours, but lots of toms have been outside for two weeks, and I just cover them with a sheet. They may moan, but by then, I'm back indoors, so don't ever hear them!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2020, 12:20 »
That was a hard frost; ice in the watering cans!

I hope not too much damage was done on your plots. My potatoes and Courgettes look fine but newly germinated PSB took a fatal hit even under fleece  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2020, 15:01 »
-0.4C here last night, which makes it only the 5th time the temperature here has dropped below freezing since last autumn.

Greenhouse minimum was +2.3C, so it makes a bit of difference but perhaps not as much as one would like to see.

Spud shoots were covered up so should be OK, various salad seedlings seem unaffected, Alstroemeria (2 cultivars) both a bit droopy but should recover, Helleniums (3 cultivars) clearly found it all quite splendid and rather bracing!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chillimummy

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2020, 20:10 »
I left my squash outside on bench by accident and though they had some droopy poorly looking leaves, not dead so brought them in tonight to recover.  ;)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Nobbie

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2020, 20:23 »
Despite my precautions, courgettes, squash and french beans have suffered, but hopefully not fatal. Unprotected stuff on my site look pretty dead. One guy had just planted out big bed of runner beans and another had planted some rather large pepper plant :( I’ll give it a week and see how it all recovers.

Growster...

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2020, 20:31 »
That's rotten luck for you up North, Nobbie!

Down here, the skies are now clear and cold already, so it's fingers crossed to hope that the sheets and coverings work!

It looks much better from tomorrow, so hopefully we may get back on track. It's always worrying in May...

jambop

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2020, 21:18 »

Down here, the skies are now clear and cold already, so it's fingers crossed to hope that the sheets and coverings work!

It looks much better from tomorrow, so hopefully we may get back on track. It's always worrying in May...
Even down here it has been anything but warm max daytime about 14-16C and nights have been about 11C with a lot of rain so less than ideal. We will not be getting back to normal until Sunday where daytime will pick up to 25C but nights still cool at 12C .

Growster...

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2020, 22:04 »
Are you affected by 'The Levant' or 'The Mistral', Jambop?

We should really have a name for some of the winds in the UK, but the one we're getting now is a 'Junior Beast' from the North...

:0~

Grubbypaws

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2020, 08:33 »

Met office are saying 2C tonight with a chance of ground frost. I will check again at lunchtime but covers staying on for now!

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2020, 09:33 »
Looks like the worse is over in Berkshire, forecast for evening lows of around 7c for the next week or so.

In goes runner beans, french beans, celery and courgettes !

Twitch

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2020, 16:33 »
Looks like the worse is over in Berkshire, forecast for evening lows of around 7c for the next week or so.

In goes runner beans, french beans, celery and courgettes !

Same here in Sunny Slough...
Had to put my sweetcorn out today, as it had well out grown it's pots... over 18" tall. Will do a temp cover for the next few nights.

Tomorrow it's beans and courgettes..

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2020, 16:39 »
Indeed, I wasn’t without casualties though, when I checked today my Tomatoes had been reduced to thin black sticks...  They were only the spare ones so I can live with that.

I'm a little behind with my sweetcorn, it’s only an inch high at the moment.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2020, 18:11 »
So are mine - we aren't behind at all -  the others were fooled into sowing early by the mild weather we had earlier, that's all  :lol: :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2020, 18:58 »
So are mine - we aren't behind at all -  the others were fooled into sowing early by the mild weather we had earlier, that's all  :lol: :lol:

Not sown mine at all yet! Tomorrow's job.

xx
Frost Warning

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 13:54
by Springlands
xx
warning!!! Frost

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 08:27
by Lottiegob
xx
Frost warning

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 08:05
by Grubbypaws
xx
Ground frost warning

Started by Sven The Swede on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 07:18
by Sven The Swede

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 53 queries.