Frost warning!

• 95 Replies

Growster...

Re: Frost warning!
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2020, 20:45 »
Folks, it seems that things will improve from now on - mostly in the South, and then more up-country, so don't despair.

Our forecast isn't that great, so normal precautions are rife, but I'm planning to pop the beans out very soon - maybe tomorrow, and be ready with the sheets, although you guys with plots away from  home will be compromised...

May is always a bummer of a month as regards covering and protecting, and us gardeners just have to deal with it all as best we can, and you never know, we may well just beat nature at her own game...

Stay well, and keep going...

jambop

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2020, 21:00 »
We have had a downturn in the weather here too. The temps have dropped down to about 7C some nights and it has given us buckets of rain. Should start back to normal at the end of the week.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2020, 23:00 »
Tomorrow night looks to be the last cold night for us, though we haven't had a frost so far. Beans will go out at the weekend I'm thinking, the hot spell last week has kicked them into overdrive.

Growster...

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2020, 07:59 »
Tomorrow night looks to be the last cold night for us, though we haven't had a frost so far. Beans will go out at the weekend I'm thinking, the hot spell last week has kicked them into overdrive.

Same here, P1P.

We're due a cold night tonight, but I can start to get them outside for a breath of fresh air during the day, before they get to their beds over the weekend.

Might do a few more toms as well - some have been through all this outside for several days already, but sheeted up at night...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2020, 08:42 »
May is always a bummer of a month as regards covering and protecting, and us gardeners just have to deal with it all as best we can, and you never know, we may well just beat nature at her own game...
It's those awful Ice Saints days again  ::) I regularly have to remind about these....
In parts of the Northern Hemisphere, the period from May 10th and 15th is often believed to bring a brief spell of colder weather in many years through the past centuries. These are often reports of a marked cold snap over the days of the Ice Saints (May 11-13th). It seems that we will face an intense Arctic outbreak right for the Ice Saints days this year. The foreseen pattern will bring significantly colder air mass across a large part of Europe.
The three Ice Saints are St. Mamertus (or, in some countries, St. Boniface of Tarsus), St. Pancras, and St. Servatius. They are so named because their feast days fall on the days of May 11th, May 12th, and May 13th respectively.
https://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/arctic-outbreak-ice-saints-2020-mk/
So nothing new this year, folks, certainly not climate change, either  :lol: :lol:

Longshanks

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2020, 08:57 »
I planted beans out a couple of weeks ago along with some squash. I didn't cover and all survived. I also put  out tomatoes, some of which I covered. The ones I didn't cover were almost OK, but lost a couple the other night. Sweetcorn was similar in that those in my cold frame were Ok, but the two outside look a bit worse for wear.  I have a load of spares though at home - it's looking like a garden centre.

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2020, 09:10 »
Didn't have any fleece, but used old bed sheets to cover my spuds and sweetcorn.  Despite this, the spuds all took a bit of a hit Monday night and some of the top leaves have wilted/gone black, but the majority of the plants look ok, so should recover. The sweetcorn (already eating by snails!), hasn't survived despite being covered.  They weren't very big and to be fair, I think I put them out too early, as I was trying to keep up with others on the plot who had theirs out.  They've all wilted and looking pretty dead. I've sewn some new seeds which have already popped up in the propagator and had some sown earlier which should hopefully make up for the losses.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2020, 09:11 »
Last frost tonight. I cant wait for tomorrow. Hopefully when I lift the fleece all will be well for my potatoes and courgettes.

Like Longshanks my front room resembles a garden centre with broad, runners and borlotti  all aching to be planted out.

There is also the major job of thinning to do; parsnips, beets, oasis, coriander, parsley and rocket.

Growster...

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2020, 10:24 »
It's those awful Ice Saints days again  ::) I regularly have to remind about these....
In parts of the Northern Hemisphere, the period from May 10th and 15th is often believed to bring a brief spell of colder weather in many years through the past centuries. These are often reports of a marked cold snap over the days of the Ice Saints (May 11-13th). It seems that we will face an intense Arctic outbreak right for the Ice Saints days this year. The foreseen pattern will bring significantly colder air mass across a large part of Europe.
The three Ice Saints are St. Mamertus (or, in some countries, St. Boniface of Tarsus), St. Pancras, and St. Servatius. They are so named because their feast days fall on the days of May 11th, May 12th, and May 13th respectively.
https://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/arctic-outbreak-ice-saints-2020-mk/
So nothing new this year, folks, certainly not climate change, either  :lol: :lol:

Isn't there a saying for weather about now, that if the wind is in the North, it'll stay like that for something like three months?

I'll have to check with my weather Guru on 'The Moor', he'll remind me...

Silva

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2020, 11:30 »
BBC now predicting low of 1 on Thursday night here as well, so potentially two more frosty nights to come!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2020, 12:52 »
BBC now predicting low of 1 on Thursday night here as well, so potentially two more frosty nights to come!

:( Not good

al78

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2020, 13:56 »
Met Office forecasting minimum of 4C for the next two nights in Horsham, so fleece has been left on greenhouse crops. They didn't look to have been affected at all when I was there yesterday evening.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2020, 14:09 »
The borlotti are taking over my house!  I put a few out in the mini greenhouse with a small heater and they have been OK so I have now put the rest out.

On these forecasts I will now leave the fleece up until Friday.

My broad beans are in root trainers which are bursting at the seems. I know that they are frost hardy but am not sure that it is a kind thing to expose them to on their first night out so may wait until Friday for these too.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2020, 14:19 »
Met office wtill showing tomorrow as the last proper cold night here, tomorrow looks good.

Nobbie

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2020, 14:51 »
Went to second plot today and others spuds have been zapped, but my french beans were just about OK, courgettes under cloches were fine, although a few zinnia have succumbed. Forecast 0 tonight, so I’m into emergency mode Have watered the ground well to retain heat and will be stuffing moss from scarifying into all the cloches and around any other tender plants with some plastic over the top. Fingers crossed this is the last frost.

xx
Frost warning

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 08:05
by Grubbypaws
xx
warning!!! Frost

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 08:27
by Lottiegob
xx
Frost Warning

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 13:54
by Springlands
xx
Ground frost warning

Started by Sven The Swede on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 07:18
by Sven The Swede

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 53 queries.