What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

grendel

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #660 on: June 08, 2015, 12:15 »
Yesterday I spent a few hours at the plot, a new tap had appeared at the front corner of the half plot in front of mine courtesy of a couple of the other plot holders in our corner, this brings the tap within a single hose length of my plot. (they are discussing reimbursement with the site manager).
rotovated the remaining unplanted section, its a lovely fine tilth now, raked and planter beans and peas (a frame and 3 rows of seed- middle row peas, outside rows dwarf beans and other beans (mixed)) and a row of cauliflowers.
watered, then came home. I also strimmed my path across the front half of the plot that appears to have been abandoned, I have made enquiries about getting that half to add to my half, but it will be well overgrown before I hear I guess, as they have to contact the tenant before they can agree.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #661 on: June 08, 2015, 22:13 »
Lovely day, husband took son to visit grandpa so I had a free afternoon! Weeded the last overgrown veg bed, put up netting and prepared it ready to plant out my peas at the weekend. Checked my runner beans and finally they're sprouting!

Yana

« Reply #662 on: June 09, 2015, 06:40 »
Mega-session at the plot yesterday. Went up really early to water as the 'stolen' taps on the stand pipes near me hadn't been replaced so needed to use one further away and knew it could get busy if I left it until later in the morning.
Came home for a bit of brekkie, loaded the truck and went back around 9am.
Weeded onions, parsnips, put stakes up for Brussels, picked two small cauliflowers, took more tops off broad beans to try to stop black fly (the plants are getting shorter and shorter and no respite in black fly either).
Weeded raspberries, picked (and ate) punnet of strawberries, weeded French dwarf beans that survived the strong wind last week, planted out climbing French beans and dwarf runner beans. Never done dwarf runners before so will see how it goes.
Pulled a handful of baby beetroot for tea (yum yum).
Looked at phone and it was after 5pm!!
Came home delighted with what I'd done and promptly set to making the first cauliflower cheese of the season.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #663 on: June 09, 2015, 13:15 »
Popped up and sowed another 2 rows of carrots as my daughter has taken to munching baby carrots like there is no tomorrow!!

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #664 on: June 09, 2015, 22:58 »
First visit since early last Thursday morning, opened the greenhouse up and was very happy to see that Tomatillos, peppers and tomatoes in grow-bags were doing very well and had survived being left in 2 inches of water over the week-end, pinched out side shoots and inspected flowers.... left door open for pollinators to come in but it's very cold today.

Watered garlic, climbing and dwarf beans, pumpkin, cauliflowers, rhubarb and pots of tomatoes and those in the ground (which look a bit shell-shocked). Saw lots of strawberries to be picked at the week-end by Natalia.  On my plot, blasted the blackfly on the BB's yet again! watered onions, corn (it's grown) beans, peas and tomatoes, squash etc.  Need a SERIOUS day of weeding tomorrow to bring everything back under control.  Pulled up couch grass showing itself on the main path.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #665 on: June 10, 2015, 20:46 »
Finally managed to get the cover on the polytunnel myself, gave up waiting on hubby to give me a hand! One side was still dug in so I've weighted the other side and put a few ropes over till tomorrow then I can lift the turf and secure it properly. Also sorted out a pile of pots I've accumulated over the winter months. Apart from that it was the usual weeding and watering!

snowdrops

« Reply #666 on: June 10, 2015, 21:08 »
Planted the leeks instructed by mistraknowitall  :ohmy:, weeded the horsetail out of the to be brassica bed,weeded the carrots, netted the fruit bushes, had lunch with Mr S who brought me a coffee & a BLT  8)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #667 on: June 10, 2015, 21:11 »
Nothing hubby was still at work at 7pm  ::)

Tomorrow will be different

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #668 on: June 11, 2015, 00:18 »
Sorry this is technically yesterday as I have been so busy its past midnight. Came back from almost 2 weeks away in the sun to find all sorts had happened.  One squash totally dead, the rest and the courgettes looking very sad.  No better than when implanted them or worse.  Some of the currant bushes with snapped off branches and the one black currant infested with something and looking pretty horrible.  The leeks seedlings not much changed.  The sweetcorn looking pretty miserable and two of them eaten.  Had to plant everything out before I went but obviously the horrible weather in the u.k. took it's toll.  On the plus side the brassicas all look good, as do the strawberries and the currant bushes bearing loads of fruit despite the damage.  The parsnips also doing well after a slow start.  So spent about 7 hours weeding, watering and generally tidying up in glorious sunshine.  And had a furtle and pulled up the first of the earlies, foremost, and enjoyed with some freshly pulled lettuce for lunch.  Then rhubarb and yoghurt for tea.   It's good to be back!

miggs

« Reply #669 on: June 11, 2015, 08:49 »
Yesterday it was just a general tidy up before work (on late's this week), but managed to plant out about 20 Beetroot. The day before was much the same but planted out the same number of Broad Beans'. Not sure about today yet as I have to take our eldest daughter to her interview as it's on the way to work.

grendel

« Reply #670 on: June 11, 2015, 12:20 »
Yesterday I spent a few hours at the plot, a new tap had appeared at the front corner of the half plot in front of mine courtesy of a couple of the other plot holders in our corner, this brings the tap within a single hose length of my plot. (they are discussing reimbursement with the site manager).
rotovated the remaining unplanted section, its a lovely fine tilth now, raked and planter beans and peas (a frame and 3 rows of seed- middle row peas, outside rows dwarf beans and other beans (mixed)) and a row of cauliflowers.
watered, then came home. I also strimmed my path across the front half of the plot that appears to have been abandoned, I have made enquiries about getting that half to add to my half, but it will be well overgrown before I hear I guess, as they have to contact the tenant before they can agree.
Grendel
Not on the plot, but about it, last night I received a phone call telling me I can take over the rest of the plot, So I am happy, it looks like its a trip up there at the weekend with strimmer and rotovator to get some clearing done, due to the condition, they wont charge rent for the remainder of the season on that part.
Grendel

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #671 on: June 11, 2015, 16:48 »
Watered, watered and watered some more. Hopefully after these thunderstorms this weekend my veg will take off in my sandy soil!!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #672 on: June 11, 2015, 19:10 »
Took petrol lawn mower down to plot and made paths nice and tidy
Collected some asparagus for tea and threw some water on the most deserving looking veg.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

miggs

« Reply #673 on: June 12, 2015, 19:01 »
As the weather was so nice this afternoon I spent a couple of hours down there. You know what they say "hoe when you see no weeds", well I did that for about an hour even there was no weeds before I started. The ground is now all turned over. Then spent the next hour digging over a new area of the plot to expand it a bit more. Strimmed all the paths as well, plot is looking quite good even if I say so myself.

Beekissed

« Reply #674 on: June 13, 2015, 07:25 »
Got up early to offload a steaming pile of cow and horse dung to the compost bin....

....and that's about it, as we headed to town and spent the day running errands.  Bought a used utility trailer so we'll never have to put manure in the back of this truck again.   :lol:

Got home and had time to do a walk through before dark, helped some cucumbers find the trellis, suckered a few tomato plants.  Loving this Back to Eden garden so far!  Lots of work to get it established but now it's incredibly easy to maintain, lovely to walk in the garden right after a big rain and not even get my shoes wet. 

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.706 seconds with 30 queries.