What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #690 on: June 15, 2015, 22:35 »
2 BB patches, the early planted ones succumbed to Blackfly very early and I've soapy sprayed and fire hose squirted for the last 2 or 3 weeks and finally tonight, came to the early BB's and I think they may be fewer.... perhaps they are of course just coming onto the other plot BB's!  Peas looking good, pulled some carrots for supper. Watered everything.  ... autumn onions are coming to fruition better size though not necessarily that many.  others all holding it together and the seed sown ones are looking good. Every time I come to the plot I disturb pigeons from one fruit bush or another as I walk along. Beans are beginning to climb and courgettes are looking as though they have settled and beginning to thrive, seem to have lost maybe 3 out of 15 plants.  Have a dozen corn seedlings to still go in.  AND I hand picked the very first RASPBERRY today  - and ate it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 22:40 by mjg000 »

Beekissed

« Reply #691 on: June 16, 2015, 06:46 »
Planted more half runner beans, more cos romaine lettuce, some Ozark Beauty strawberry sets, some Black-eyed Susan sets, morning glories by the trellis arch over the gate, marigolds amongst the tomatoes, and another row of wildflowers.  Placed more mulch material up around the potatoes and trained a few young cukes to stay in their own trellis space where they belong.  Those cukes grew a whole foot in height this week due to all the rain and hot, steamy weather!

Last week...

And a week later.....

Applied urine foliar spray to most of the plants, some more than others.   

Loving this Back to Eden garden so far for weed control and moisture retention.   This is the first year so I won't be seeing the deeper benefits of it all until next year when the chips have composted more. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:50 by Beekissed »

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #692 on: June 16, 2015, 21:11 »
Popped down at lunchtime from work to water and pick strawbs- bumper year, and the mountain in the fridge is not reducing- kids are fed up all ready.  I can't recall having bowls of raspberrys this early before either.  Plot strawbs got offered around to happy teachers this afternoon.
Picked the first of the peas and had some in my lunchtime salad and some home for a treat from the one doing A level Biology tomorrow- she was swotting up on leguminous plants and the nitrogen cycle!
Mange touts lovely too, another picking.
Planted the cues out and another 6 pumpkins, blackfly on the beans is bad this year- I'm going to give up on them.  Getting short of space now  :D 

miggs

« Reply #693 on: June 17, 2015, 16:19 »
Wont be going down to the plot today, yesterday however I did some hoeing, digging and also got some more Sweetcorn in.

chillimummy

« Reply #694 on: June 17, 2015, 20:18 »
Not been able to get to plot for a week so wondered about weed growth  ;)
Not bad at all.
Weeded around onions and broad beans. Potatoes look great, and everything else seems to have really grown in past week. :)
Have small area which needed weeding for my donated artichoke which plot neighbour will be giving me.
Have already planted thornless blackberry there and was going to plant PSB but will keep area for the artichoke.
Not sure how big artichokes get or how to harvest them but I really like them so good use of spare patch.
Finally all my peas and beans are growing. First sowing was no show but used pea sticks second time and wonder if birds ate first ones?
Most have germinated, dwarf beans and sugar snap peas.
Sweetcorn at home all sprouting so hope they catch up  ;)

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Flowertot

« Reply #695 on: June 18, 2015, 22:51 »
Popped in after work to water - the soil is like dust now as it has been so dry here lately. 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #696 on: June 18, 2015, 23:44 »
Weeding and watering  ;) :)

Aled

« Reply #697 on: June 19, 2015, 11:09 »
Well I did a fair bit of weeding last night, then watered well and added some liquid organic compost. This morning all my crops look far more lush. Always nice to see.
Cheers
Aled

JaniceB

• Fighting clay and rabbits
« Reply #698 on: June 19, 2015, 17:33 »
Went up with the intention of puddling in my leeks but, on uncovering the bed, discovered it was like concrete. Gave it a good soak to soften it up and will have another go tomorrow.

Planted a dozen beanlings - the bean patch is filling up slowly.

Made homes for two butternut squash plants and installed a Masquerade chilli in the greenhouse.

Got to eat a packet of crisps to turn into a sparkly scarer in an attempt to startle the pigeons away from the sprouts.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #699 on: June 19, 2015, 20:28 »
Planted the veg strips I got cheap from B&Q on Wednesday. Got Pak choi, spring cabbage, broad beans, French beans and toms all for 10p a strip with my dads 10% discount so couldn't resist. Had a wee bit space but not anymore!
Had to net my new kale plantings as next doors pigeons were attacking them this morning.
Managed to sow another row each of Spring onions, white turnip & radish but ran out of time for more beetroot. Checked over everything else and noticed I've got my first artichoke!!

honeymelon

« Reply #700 on: June 20, 2015, 15:12 »
Went to take some photos today : sweet corn, garlic, 2 patches spring onion, crown prince has set 5 fruits(2 on the photos), first year cherry are turning red. Everything is growing much slower than last year, I got first sweet corn last year in mid July, this year they are not even flowering yet.
P01.jpg

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #701 on: June 20, 2015, 20:59 »
Usual watering and weeding, spoke to the secretary re the next door plot as it has not been done this year and I would like it and if  i could I would give up one of the half plots giving me a very good size plot ad a half adjacent to each other

harvested my first peas - they did not make it home :tongue2:

another feed of beetroot , possibly the last feed of rhubarb
another feed of swiss chard and  my first feed of Kale, broad beans coming on well - I would say a week away from being ready

hiccup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #702 on: June 21, 2015, 09:00 »
Wet, windy, cold, just the usual for this year really. The spuds and brassicas are doing fine, but the
    bean bed is very slow. The carrots germinated about six weeks ago and are standing two inches tall.
keep on digging

grendel

« Reply #703 on: June 21, 2015, 18:30 »
only had a very quick visit today, after taking my dad shopping for fathers day, I popped into the plot and cleared the remaining plastic rubbish to the tip, added the shredded paper to the compost heap and noticed the last lot of beans planted were starting to sprout.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

chillimummy

« Reply #704 on: June 21, 2015, 18:52 »
Planted my 4 butternut squash, 2 pumpkins and 2 yellow courgettes. Dug over area ready for sweetcorn which are in my greenhouse and really sprouting. Might give them another week then plant.
Weeded around onions and noticed that finally all my sowed seeds are peeping out. Sowed beetroot,spinach,chard and turnip a week or 2 ago so really pleased. Gave them a watering even though it was raining!
In my fruit bed, next to my raspberries, have got quite a few potatoes growing from last years crop. Can't believe I missed so many  :D. Dug them out and ended up with enough little potatoes for tea tonight  :D
Netted my strawberries and chatted to neighbours.
Lovely day  :D

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 37 queries.