What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

AnneB

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #675 on: June 13, 2015, 08:40 »
Went up yesterday after a week away.  Beans and courgettes looking a bit unhappy due to all the wind.  Re-sowing there I think.  One of my kohlrabi and one sweetcorn plant terminal too.   Outdoor tomatoes looking surprisingly chipper.

Weeded the carrots which have good germination.   Disappointed to discover the parsnips are a no show, despite sowing in May.  Not warm enough I think.  Will give them another go, maybe small at harvest, but better than no parsnips at all.

Didn't water apart from sweetcorn and squash that looked very dry, as heavy rain forecast for today amd it has duly arrived.

Flowertot

« Reply #676 on: June 13, 2015, 15:43 »
Sprayed the blackfly on the broad beans with soapy water but I think they just laughed it off  >:(. Weeded the carrots and parsnips, mulched the French beans and baby rhubarbs, watered everything, sowed some PSB, kale and another batch of spring onions. Noticed that one of the green broccoli plants is developing a head.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #677 on: June 13, 2015, 17:42 »
Spent an hour or so this morning weeding beds. Easy work really after last nights rain.
Collected more asparagus and lettuce.

HH
Keep digging

grendel

« Reply #678 on: June 13, 2015, 17:48 »
after spending the morning clearing brambles on the site of my astronomy clubs observatory (with a mini digger to help) I spent the afternoon clearing weeds, brambles and nettles from my new other half of my plot.
Before pictures
IMG00092-20150613-1455 (Medium).jpg
IMG00093-20150613-1455 (Medium).jpg
IMG00094-20150613-1455 (Medium).jpg
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #679 on: June 13, 2015, 17:50 »
after pictures and rubbish pile
Grendel
IMG00099-20150613-1620 (Medium).jpg
IMG00100-20150613-1620 (Medium).jpg
IMG00101-20150613-1620 (Medium).jpg
IMG00103-20150613-1621 (Medium).jpg

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #680 on: June 14, 2015, 11:45 »
That last picture Grendel, that's not rubbish, theres logs for the wood burner and tubs and crates which will make great planters, just a thought, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #681 on: June 14, 2015, 12:01 »
Been down to the plot this morning, sowed carrots, parsnips and chard.
Fed the tomatoes, chillies and peppers in the greenhouse.
Weeded around the sweet corn and existing carrots, then picked chard, rhubarb and strawberries for dinner.

It won't be long before the early spuds are ready, hmmm!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #682 on: June 14, 2015, 12:44 »
Sulkingly went down in the rain (it is been non stop light drizzle/wet must since yesterday morning). Harvested 2 huge tubs of strawbs, some lettuce, one plant if earlies for dinner tonight and dug up my earlier batch of garlic. They really got attacked by rust again so I wasn't holding out much hope but the majority of the bulbs are actually a really decent size. The other variety still have a couple more weeks yet I think...

grendel

« Reply #683 on: June 14, 2015, 14:29 »
That last picture Grendel, that's not rubbish, theres logs for the wood burner and tubs and crates which will make great planters, just a thought, Dave
Well most of it is rubbish, the logs have been left available to anyone who wants them, the tubs and crates are all broken, split of just nasty, andin my tip trip this morning went some thick sheets of wood (i think the paint may have been holding it together, and 7 large plastic trugs of plastic sheet, plastic bags, bin liners, broken pots and buckets.
4 water containers and several buckets have been left handy to the plot tap in the corner of my plot, and I now have about half the rubbish gone.
This morning a fellow plot holder gave me a sheet of corrugated tin to make the 3rd side of a compost heap, the hawthorn in the corner had a haircut (all the branches forming the bottom layer for the compost bin), 5 binbags of part rotted leaves were added to the compost heap, and the bags added to the tip run. the 2 bags of shredded paper will also go onto the heap, and hopefully 1 more trip to the tip should get rid of all the plastic. one area with broken glass has been identified, and 4 large sheets moved to the side off the growing area. that will be cleared on the next tip run. I will then be ready to re-strim to earth level (its down to about 3" at the moment) and start rotovating - not too worried at this stage about rotovating weeds in, all the grasses have shed their seed over the whole lot while strimming, persistant weed roots will be dug up and pulled in due course, at this stage I am just trying to find what we have got.
Grendel

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #684 on: June 14, 2015, 18:36 »
Busy 5 hours on both plots
weeded both plots, took the netting off the Runner beans on plot 2, harvested the following
plot 1
radish
yellow beetroot
white beetroot

plot 2
lifted two carrier bags of earlies- red duke of York
picked some red beetroot
I cos lettuce and gave another to a neighbour plot holder
planted 1 row of swedes
and surprisingly enough watered loads despite two  solid  days of rain the earth was dry

Beekissed

« Reply #685 on: June 14, 2015, 18:39 »
Absolutely nothing but strolling through a couple of times, looking for seedlings to show or weed sprouts and thanking God for it all.  Blazing hot and humid today, mixed with thunder storms, so most things are growing well in this weather. 

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #686 on: June 14, 2015, 22:35 »
Weeding & watering as usual. Managed to plant half my peas out, I'll do the rest tomorrow! Picked a carrier bag of Kale for my Dad's dinner. Noticed my Estima pots have some yellow leaves and I've no Epsom salts left so off to the chemist tomorrow. Bought some more tomatoes (San Marino & Ailsa Craig) yesterday from B&Q so got them potted up and moved the cucumbers to bigger pots in the greenhouse which frees up more space on the windowsill.

Flowertot

« Reply #687 on: June 14, 2015, 22:50 »
Weeded while my young helper sowed more carrots, green broccoli and lettuces  :), watered, netted blueberries.

Ema

« Reply #688 on: June 15, 2015, 13:03 »
That’s a great weekends work Grendel!
Last week I planted out my cucumbers, 1 out of 4 succumbed to shock. Dug a small patch of couch grass over to make more room. Weeded parsnips, peas, herbs.

At home I’ve potted on my tomatoes and peppers into their final pots. I’m hoping to find room on the plot for the rest of them but I don’t know if I’ll have space once the sweet corn goes in. infect I’ve realised I probably don’t have room for the kale, kohl rabbi and celery I’ve still got in trays.

Ate peas and more peas :) and  strawberries, pulled up my first 2 spuds (not quite ready but I’ll be sick of them soon and the 2 rows either side will appreciate the space).

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #689 on: June 15, 2015, 14:07 »
Big weeding session this morning. Following the rain the ground has softened enough to get the weeds up, although it is still surprisingly dry. Obviously not enough rain!

Picked two small cabbages.

Squashes and courgettes picking up after their bashing by the wind the other week. Only one looks like it won't make it.

Re sown beetroot has germinated.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 37 queries.