Everything Sulking....

• 66 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Everything Sulking....
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:06 »
Is anybody else finding that everything is sulking?

I'm on the coast in Littlehampton, and I planted out my courgettes, and squashes about 2-3 weeks ago, but nothing has happened, and temperatures are going to drop to about 5 degrees at night next week for a few days.....

Blinking weather in the this country drives you mad!!
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Everything Sulking....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:07 »
It sure does!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:08 »
You're lucky you've planted them out. Mine are sitting on the driveway sulking!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:10 »
Netweather is also showing the low temps for next week - but I find their temperatures reliably well on the low side for here, compared to actual.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:14 »
My squashes / Courgettes etc, haven't even made it out, so they're still relatively happy in the cold frame.
Runner beans on the other hand are seriously sulking, and have also been eaten to death by the slugs despite my best efforts with blue pellets of death!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:15 »
Will you still get a decent crop if they get going mid-late June?

MalcW

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 14:12 »
There are a few threads at the moment about things not progressing well, which is good news for me.

Why is that, I hear you asking.

It's because this is my first year, and I'm having the same problems. I thought I was probably a rubbish gardener, but perhaps it's not all my fault. Then again...

beesrus

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 15:00 »
Lots of time for big harvests yet Wizzy. As a for instance, last year, I only planted out my courgettes on 3 June ( sown 10 May ) and started harvesting on 13 July, and that went on for months given the nice Summer.
The thing I try to avoid is a backlog of keeping too many plants in too small a pot for too long when the weather is not deemed warm enough to plant out. I'm a big fan of getting those plants out into open play asap on a decent day, even if you have to protect them with a fleece for a few days to avoid winds and general shock. At least then they have something to work with. It warms up sooner or later.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 15:03 by beesrus »

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 16:18 »
I'm just about to harvest my first courgette :D I have cheated a bit though by making a sort of hot bed arrangement out of a old crate that they deliver paving stone in. Filled with fresh horse manure and added my own homemade :blush: 'accelerator' :lol: It never seemed to get that warm, but obviously enough to stop them sulking. I'd add a picture, but I'm not sure I can without uploading them to a separate hosting site.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 16:26 »
Is anybody else finding that everything is sulking?

I'm on the coast in Littlehampton, and I planted out my courgettes, and squashes about 2-3 weeks ago, but nothing has happened, and temperatures are going to drop to about 5 degrees at night next week for a few days.....

Blinking weather in the this country drives you mad!!

Fear not wizzyfax. You're not the only one. I'm seriously considering sulking myself. I'm just a few miles west of you and doing no better. Today's This afternoon's sunshine might help us out a bit.

But my tomatoes are smaller now than they were a few weeks ago (is that possible), the geraniums are far too tiny to be planted out, the French and runner beans are limping (no running anywhere), butternut squash has aphids so too weak to plant out. The list goes on.

If nothing else we could always get a drink and sit on the sea-front and hope.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 16:57 »
half my living room and my entire kitchen table are taken over by tomatoes, cucumbers, chillies, paprika, and eggplant.

And they all look depressed because they haven't seen the sun for 3 days now.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 17:14 »
Today has been marginally better and so some of my tomato plants are now in the ground at the plot, in sheltered spot  :D

And runner beans have started curling up their poles I noticed, so perhaps things are improving slowly  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Chrysalis

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 17:26 »
Same here!  Sulking plants and sulking Chrysalis... :(

I wondered if was the compost not being too good this year, even though it's my usual.  Toms are tiny and not doing much.  Peppers are OK but v.small and have teeny weeny peppers on them!
Squashes are out and beans are, like others', being eaten despite protection.  Even the hens are sulking and have sneezes, poor old dears!

Just hope the sparrows don't eat all the peas before flowers appear.  No sign yet of them, nor on the spuds.  Really feel I've missed out this year, but that's growing, I suppose. :blush:

Maybe next season I'll not catch the mother of all chest infections at the wrong time and get my act together!

On the bright side:  my clematis are lovely!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 17:35 »
4 more huge pumpkins sent out into the big wide plot all on their own today.... there is just no space left at home, the cues & butternuts need it.  5 lots of various Beans in washing up bowls, tubs, big plastic crates are doing really well, but slug-central at the plot is putting me off until they are soooo far off the ground the slugs will get altitude sickness! 
My 2 sowing of brassicas ready but waiting for the autumn broadies to finish in the next fortnight....
I've noticed the texture of cheap compost this year (my usual) is exactly the same as the free stuff we can get from the tip from the food waste collections, has not been so before!  It's got not nutrients at all.  I've been adding FBB or feed.

And they all look depressed because they haven't seen the sun for 3 days now.
I'm depressed because I've not seen the sun.....

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 17:41 »
I'm afraid I'm sulking along with any of my plants that have made it past the seedling stage.....and they are few and far between! :(

xx
Sulking cukes

Started by NewSteve on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 13:19
by NewSteve
xx
Aubergines sulking

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 21:20
by sunshineband
clip
Tomatos Sulking

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 21:04
by Dai
xx
Sulking Garlic

Started by suedenim on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 18:09
by Halteres

Page created in 0.81 seconds with 38 queries.