What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

3 allotments

• now is the time
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #540 on: March 27, 2014, 23:37 »
sowed some sweetcorn and leeks in my shed as it was raining to do anything outside :(
diggity dig dig

Yana

« Reply #541 on: March 28, 2014, 07:51 »
Hope you are well enough to get out in the sunshine this weekend Yana.
Thanks Jackypam. Had a quick walk round yesterday and made it back to the car before the heavens opened. Resting up today as want to get the peas, cabbage and cauliflower in on Saturday and that is because .... Hoping I have a surprise visit to the Edible Garden show as a Mother's Day present on Sunday. If not, I'll be sowing parsnips and turnips .  :(
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Jackypam

« Reply #542 on: March 28, 2014, 08:10 »
You must be feeling better!  Just been down to check the plum blossom ( though I don't really know what I'm looking for- but it looked ok to me despite the frost this week) and to water under the cloches.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #543 on: March 28, 2014, 16:00 »
After many years I bit the bullet and dug out the cold house to a spit deep . I then double dug it and refilled half the spit with compost ,forked over again then topped up with compost after 25 years it was desperate for some love  :D
I cook therefore I grow

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #544 on: March 28, 2014, 16:32 »
nothing i had the day off cleaned the house as oh has been away all week at  her sisters she will be back tomorrow  :D missed her but not the snoring  :lol: hop eweather is better tomorrow get some proper work done ;)

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #545 on: March 28, 2014, 18:11 »
Ended up at the hospital yesterday after cutting my finger on some glass*big sigh*, had to go back twice today, *even bigger sigh*. But with a huge amount of help from a friend we (well mainly her) dismantled a 12 by 8 greenhouse and transported to my lottie !

Robster

« Reply #546 on: March 29, 2014, 05:50 »
I planted out my International Kidney and sowed parsnip beetroot and scorzonera.  My tomatoes for outdoors have been finally repotted and are now in the unheated greenhouse.  Need to be very careful with frosts for the next few weeks.

Planted out my early brussell sprouts

Yana

« Reply #547 on: March 29, 2014, 06:23 »
You must be feeling better!  Just been down to check the plum blossom ( though I don't really know what I'm looking for- but it looked ok to me despite the frost this week) and to water under the cloches.
Been awake since 4am with bunged up nose and throat that feels like it has been sanded!
No lottie for me today but will potter in the garden instead as have lettuce seedlings that need potting on, put wooden obelisks together that OH made (for sweet peas) and draw up plans for OH to make brassica cover.
And enjoy the predicted sunshine.  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #548 on: March 29, 2014, 12:06 »
With a warmer spell predicted and the showers just about holding off yesterday I got my zigzag row of Rocket spuds planted.

Repotted both mint pots, because most reports suggest that Rocket aren't that great in the taste department!  :unsure:  ;)

Whilst digging the spud trench I found a lightly buried clump of last years Golden Gourmet shallots that I'd somehow managed to cover over rather than harvest - half a dozen bulbs in great condition, already rooted and of the perfect size for adding to a row which was incomplete because some of the 'properly stored' ones rotted off over winter.  ::)

(Don't think I'll be risking burying shallots as an alternative way of storing them long term though!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #549 on: March 29, 2014, 16:01 »
Cleared out and cleaned the shed (long overdue!!), weeded the bed where I put the spuds - creeping buttercup is a nightmare! Also weeded round the garlic (and found rust) so chopped the infected leaves off. Need to keep an eye on that  :mad:

When I got home I transplanted my hispi cabbage seeds, thinned the lettuce and sowed tomatoes, petunias and marigolds. Going to transplant my kalibos cabbage and Brussel sprout seedlings tomorrow as I want to harden them off as soon as possible, I don't like brassicas being inside!

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #550 on: March 29, 2014, 17:47 »
I repotted 33 strawberries (only about another 80 to go) whilst hubby dug over the bed the potatoes will be going in tomorrow.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

AK9

« Reply #551 on: March 29, 2014, 17:54 »
80? Fantastic..
Planning to increase my strawberries to 12.
Blueberries doing well.. 2 raspberries have got new growth spurs from the ground and 1 of the blackberry.

The remaining are not showing anything for the moment.

Finally found some ants under the weed suppresant fabric so monitoring these...

Do you water plants when it is so hot?

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #552 on: March 29, 2014, 18:29 »
Onions in and my "experimental" plot of things I've not grown before - pak choi , together with spring onions and Americam land cress outside.
In the greenhouse some spare sunflowers, celeriac and purple sprouting broccoli.
Planted some of my lavender ouside the greehouse and along the site path to help the bees!

Yana

« Reply #553 on: March 29, 2014, 18:39 »
Been awake since 4am with bunged up nose and throat that feels like it has been sanded!
No lottie for me today but will potter in the garden instead as have lettuce seedlings that need potting on, put wooden obelisks together that OH made (for sweet peas) and draw up plans for OH to make brassica cover.
And enjoy the predicted sunshine.  :D
Well never did any of that. Instead spent the day in the garage putting up a motorised opener. OH fancied it.

Godhelm

« Reply #554 on: March 29, 2014, 18:40 »
Didn't go to the plot today,  but I did pot on my tomatoes, choosing strongest 4 seedlings of 6 varieties. Also potted on gherkins, and sowed another variety of tomato, some cucumbers and some more  chillies.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 1.111 seconds with 33 queries.