What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Robster

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #570 on: March 30, 2014, 20:08 »
Sowed sorrel, radish, rocket and fennel (in a cloche)  started to turn my compost into the other bin.  A lot of work this- a couple of shifts over the next couple of days.

diospyros

« Reply #571 on: March 30, 2014, 20:44 »
Today I sowed PSB and Kale, despite the smirks from the full-of-advice bloke.  It says "sow outdoors in a finely raked seed bed" OK? So that's what I've done.

I also planted my mother's day presents of a globe artichoke and a jostaberry, despite being slightly worried by the declaration on the label that the latter would need protection from frost.  :unsure:

And moved about 40 broad/field bean plants which were annoying me, and carted three or four barrow loads of topsoil onto the place they had been.  So now I have two solid patches of broad/field beans instead of three gappy ones, one of which was where the sweetcorn needs to go.

Built some little twiggy wigwams from holly and hawthorn to try and protect what is left of my little lavender plants from the rabbits. :mad:

grendel

« Reply #572 on: March 30, 2014, 21:01 »
not on the plot, but I got the blueberries planted out, and a goosberry redcurrent and blackcurrent, tidied the garden a little too.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #573 on: March 30, 2014, 21:07 »
Planted out 17 sugar snap plants (more to follow), uncovered 2 beds of peas which are growing very nicely, planted out a few dozen lettuce plants (we love lettuce  :D ) and sowed some more mustard leaves and beetroots. At home potted on a dozen or so  tom and chilli plants

Eblana

« Reply #574 on: March 31, 2014, 09:10 »
Nothing I spent Friday up there with OH.  I got the beds ready in the PT for the Toms etc. and tidied up a bit.  OH double dug two beds that had developed a hard pan underneath the topsoil.  All ready now for spuds to go in when he is on his next week off in three weeks time (he works away from home for three weeks and is then home for a week at this time of year).  I have started planting seeds in GH for planting out so by end April early May it should look good (I look after the veg but the spuds are his domain :D).

beesrus

« Reply #575 on: March 31, 2014, 15:51 »
Early start. Dibbed and planted out second variety of peat potted parsnips. Very satisfying to know this method produces great parsnips. Planted out first Summer cabbages of the season, golden acre primo sort. Undressed and rationalised all the double insulated toms and peppers in the greenhouse.
Three of us dug over nearly half a plot of a friend who is under post op doctor's orders not to dig.

MrsPea

« Reply #576 on: March 31, 2014, 16:15 »
Just planted out 4 rows of onions red and white  :D
I Love my green house

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #577 on: March 31, 2014, 16:18 »

I'm leaving the roof and one side off of?  the greenhouse this year so I've planted Swede, parsnip, radish leafbeet, beetroot and soooo many carrots.  Fingers crossed. ;)   Cheers,   Ton :)y
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #578 on: March 31, 2014, 17:58 »
Took all of the strawberry plants out of the base level of the fruit cage to give the bed some TLC, as it's not had any TLC since 2010. Will be replanted after the addition of much needed compost, manure and sharp sand.
o/h dug this and half another bed over for me, whilst I planted up the next batch of 12 stackers with another 36 Strawberry plants.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #579 on: March 31, 2014, 18:05 »
Early start. Dibbed and planted out second variety of peat potted parsnips. Very satisfying to know this method produces great parsnips. Planted out first Summer cabbages of the season, golden acre primo sort. Undressed and rationalised all the double insulated toms and peppers in the greenhouse.
Three of us dug over nearly half a plot of a friend who is under post op doctor's orders not to dig.

What's the method? I'm guessing sow in peat pots and transplant the whole pot?

I wonder if it would work with coir pellets
Never stop learning

beesrus

« Reply #580 on: March 31, 2014, 18:28 »
What's the method? I'm guessing sow in peat pots and transplant the whole pot?

I wonder if it would work with coir pellets
Exactly that Steve. No reason why it wouldn't work with coir pellets although they are hugely more expensive. Poundland do 30 decent sized pots to the pound. One has to plant out asap after the first signs of germination... usually a couple of days tops. I take the bottoms of the pots off, but I know many don't, as, if the peat bottoms are kept wet, the roots easily penetrate the soft pot.

qualitynotquantity

« Reply #581 on: March 31, 2014, 19:08 »
Sowed some tomatoes and chilli seeds which have gone straight into the newly acquired propagator!

Planted a couple of raspberry canes and sowed some mixed leaves in a couple of plastic troughs.

Thereafter spent 2 hours preparing an area for earlies to be planted at the end of the week if the soil is warm enough.

Very productive day but so much still to do. Spring has finally sprung up here!

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #582 on: March 31, 2014, 21:36 »
Planted out a dozen or so Shiraz mangetout plants and made a frame for them, plus made a frame for 2 pea beds. Repotted a few more toms and chillis, and sowed a few Marketmore cuc seeds indoors

Mr Dog

« Reply #583 on: March 31, 2014, 22:08 »
Planted the spuds

Jackypam

« Reply #584 on: March 31, 2014, 22:34 »
Planted out a dozen or so Shiraz mangetout plants and made a frame for them, plus made a frame for 2 pea beds. Repotted a few more toms and chillis, and sowed a few Marketmore cuc seeds indoors
What does a pea frame look like Andy?

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 37 queries.