What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

jmc1949

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2014, 15:43 »
As the plot was very wet yesterday, I decided to work on the home plot. Pulled up some of the dead plants in the borders and then cleaned out and washed the greenhouse and put the onion sets into modules (red karmen). Then tidied the shed. A good days work. :)

diospyros

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2014, 16:53 »
I sat, for ages, and thought.  I watched a robin pecking around in the place I'd been digging and thought I must put some perches round the plot for him.  I moved two paving slabs so there is no longer a path across the middle of my plot for people to come and dump rubbish in the hedge mwa ha ha...

There was a van backed into the gateway when I got there, and a bloke up the other end who left, looking round a lot, as soon as I walked into the site.  Maybe just a co-incidence but did look a bit dodgy.  Mind you I went for a walk round to have a look at the other plots when I left, too.

Yana

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2014, 16:58 »
After more rain last night, popped up for a quick look this afternoon ....... Three hours later and covered in mud, managed to finish last few bits of tidying up on plot 2 so it's now DONE!! Only had it about 18 months so really over the moon it's now finished. Low maintainable was the design theme and seems to have turned out that way. Mainly fruit with raised beds for squash and pumpkin. Let's see if the low maintain becomes reality this year.  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2014, 20:44 »
Today i did some more varnishing on my shavehorse and tool handles,:lol: moved wires from off onions weeded around them, moved a couple of scaff boards from an old onion bed as i need them elsewhere,dug muck in whats piled around cabbages and turned soil over in another bed, pruned 5 apple trees ,2 pear,1 cherry , 1 plum and cut back rasps,scattered chicken pellets around strawberries and spuds in greenhouse,(phew  :D)nearly there,cut 9 spring cabbage dug  15 more leeks and 1 swede, thought about mending leaky hole in 1 of me sheds (another job another day), then went to mums to pressure wash back yard but it got to dark so thats 1st job tomorrow,then came home nice cup of coffee :wacko:
diggity dig dig

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2014, 21:33 »
Finally started clearing and tidying the lottie shed. Looking a lot better now. Still need to make more shelves for everything, but at least I know where most stuff is!!! Lol ::)
Plus result from Freecycle. Not one but 2 compost bins acquired 8)

Flowertot

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2014, 22:04 »
Finally managed to get to the plot - it looked like a mud flat  :ohmy: and my plot neighbour suggested we should plant rice :lol: .Started to tidy up the leek bed and then the heavens opened. Scampered off home!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2014, 22:11 »
Took 13 bags of multi compost  from £1 land up to lottie  planted 5 spuds in greenhouse what i missed yesterday went to mums to wash all windows in her house (3stories),went home watered all onion sets and seeds. ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2014, 10:20 »
Cleared out my garage so my leaky convertible has a house and can stop pretending to be a pond.

Took up 6 x 60L compressed leaves from the garage to the plot, which is even more boggy than before. I didn't think that was possible!

At home the pea shoots are ready for their first haircut. I've sown another planter of them to keep my fingers from itching, plus some cress and some radishes. The wilco loganberry is in a pot and already sprouting green leaves. Am wondering whether or not to sow broad beans in pots at home, as I am going to be behind on digging again this year.

grendel

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2014, 12:13 »
looked out of the window at the soggy garden, figured that today is not a good day to take the rotovator up to the plot.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

john wil

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2014, 13:28 »
  it like spring here in norfolk  but ground still wet ;)
4 tatties feeds 2

grendel

« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2014, 14:14 »
  it like spring here in norfolk  but ground still wet ;)
Spring - as in water rising out of the ground?
Grendel

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2014, 15:05 »
Made a start on my pot/rockery area and now ache all over after lugging round bags of rocks

diospyros

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2014, 15:39 »
Took the eight year old, so the work programme was a little flexible.  We made three perches for the robin to sit on out of bamboo canes and bits of string found in the hedge.  We measured out and dug along a quarter of the edge where I am expanding the plot back to its statutory 8m wide, this strip here is only about a foot wide so not too arduous.  Noted the difference between topsoil and subsoil, and then had to dig another test pit in the main part of the plot to see if it was different there (it was, soil is a lot deeper).  Dragged a sackful of soft fruit prunings out of the hedge and brought home to shred for the compost heap.  Unearthed one of those concrete blocks they stand perimeter fencing in - what this was doing buried at an angle halfway up the hedge bank I have no idea, not what we are going to do with it now.  Finally, unpacked 40 Lady Christl seed potatoes and stood on correct end in their box and put in the workshop with a tent of bubble plastic over - will just have to keep an eye on the temperature.

So far, eight year old's interest seems to be being maintained!

Oh and have just bought another compost bin for £5.52 on ebay!  Thought I had left it too late for buying really cheap ones but that's not too bad as it is in Telford where I work so collection costs minimal.

MrsLev

« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2014, 18:36 »
MrLev, Hamish and myself went down for a bit this afternoon, himself dug and dug, I planted fruit canes and dug, and mini just sort of bashed around looking for worms and frogs.

We've only had out plot since August so not really had a chance to grow much but thought we were doing well in the was against couch grass have sieved through half our plot for roots, but regardless the blooming stuff has come back with a vengeance! So for now were just turning over the soil to kill off the top growth until it's drier to get at the roots, hopefully with things being planted well get at more roots!

Picked up some blackberry, raspberry and tayberry canes from  the 99p shop, had a good rifle through them and found some that showed signed of life, fingers crossed!

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2014, 19:55 »
Planted a pinot noir from Wilkinsons - probably not ideal conditions for a grape vine to go in - but I'm hoping this one will thrive in bog land. (I did put a lot of gravel down first). Only £3.25 though so compared with mortgage payments not a big deal if it fall through,

Cheers,
Balders

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

67 Replies
Last post June 22, 2024, 20:20
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.691 seconds with 37 queries.