What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

gypsy

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2014, 12:54 »
I started to move a bedside in about 6 inches to make the path between the bed and the greenhouse wider and safer. I had done about 1/3 in 2 hrs when my neighbour, teacher, adopted grandad came over to inspect my work. He told me to get  out of the way and finished it for me in about 1/2 hour.  :D I took a phot but do nots know how to post it.
Catherine

diospyros

« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2014, 18:30 »
I was up there when it was barely light filling my new compost bin with horse "manure" as provided free.  Equals hay (some dry some spoiled), shavings (some dry some soaked in horse wee) and horse tods.  14 bin bag fulls equals a full dalek, with some brandlings introduced from the other bin, lid on, see you in a few months.

Back sat at my laptop ready to start working from home by 8.30 and found I had left my power cable in another office so had to go in after all >:( put me out for the whole day that did! 

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2014, 18:39 »
Today  put some strenghtening 4x2's it polytunnel to push ends out a bit, strung 6 lenghts of wire in pt to hang strings to support tomatoes.Planted pineberry strawbs from pots in pt the ones i got off dmg (thanks dmg).Filled up double eltex gh heater with red diesel (didnt have any parrafin) lit it and it warmed up nicely,brought 2 bags of mp compost home to transplant crook onions tonight.
diggity dig dig

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2014, 14:51 »
Glorious afternoon on the plot in the sun.  Thought would dig the post holes for my shed 'veranda' as the soil is soft currently  :nowink:.  2ft down, no problem both dug in a half hour!  .  Didn't know we were sitting on sand, but it does drain well!  Forgot the spirit level so back filled with mud/rocks/soil for now (and am not certain about the lottie regs for extensions anyway).  Looks great.  The other 2 hours mostly involved sitting in the sun with the odd potter here and there.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2014, 14:58 »
Sun? what's that then  :unsure:

blackberryjam

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2014, 08:38 »
Sun? what's that then  :unsure:

:lol: :lol: its that orange ball in the sky that we rarely see.

Not been able to do anything on the allotment.  I'm ether working or its raining, I'm getting fed up now  so I'm going to treat myself to a pair of waterproof trousers. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:42 by blackberryjam »

sion01

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2014, 17:35 »
Started clearing some of my borders for planting more veg and annual/biennial herbs.Should have done it months ago but it was a bit daunting so I kept putting it off.The soil was much nicer then I imagined it would be after about 14 years as mixed borders.I've heeled in a lot of shrubs and perennials for deciding what to do with while a lot have been shredded. It was a bit sad, I remember that a lot of them were grown from seed or cuttings and can also remember where I bought others.My four blackcurrant bushes are also for the shredder,I got about 15 pounds atleast of lovely jam from them every year but with so many wild blackberry bushes around I'm planning to collect blackberries next summer/autumn for the jam production.

My flower beds will now be confined to strips running up either side of the garden which will also contain perennial herbs and cutting flowers.All in all it will give me 5 new beds of about 16 square meters each.The plan is to also remove most of the lawn with just what is needed under the clothes line remaining.This will give me about 10 more 16 square foot plots again but depending on how energetic I feel this will more then lightly be for growing season 2015.Glory,slipped discs or insanity await :D   

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2014, 17:47 »
Planted some spuds in the greenhouse and pt then went home,had this horrible pain in my right arm,laid on it all night stopped the circulation  :mad:

RachelH

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2014, 14:21 »
 :) Hi Folks, I'm new, have been lurking for a while but decided to join in this year. Was hoping to be posting reports of progress on our slightly unruly plot but unfortunately my first post is to report a broken collarbone after an argument with a runaway car on Wed :(
So my first question is has anyone here broken their collarbone and any idea how long before I'll be digging again?
Can't help feeling the next few weeks are going to be more than a little frustrating!
Rachel

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2014, 15:51 »
Hi Rachel and welcome,  there is a welcome thread somewhere you might not get spotted here but sorry to hear about your trouble.  No idea about the healing time, someone will know.  I took on a grassy messy plot in April and got loads harvested last year by cutting corners, cardboard box temp raised beds, cardboard over weeds etc so don't stress about digging!

Today- dug out three new beds in the area that was neglected last year due to Mr Foxys den, he's now left for good so can organise the compost heap properly now.  Looks much tidier already. 

Spread muck about, pulled out last of the old boarder edging (slug magnet) wood.  30 snails and about 40 hibernating slugs bit the dust  :D.  I used to ignore the little slugs but having finding out one slug can have 40 eggs I'm much more diligent now.

diospyros

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2014, 16:13 »
Planted wild garlic, campion, stitchwort and snowdrops in the hedge bank.  Then went back to digging to "square up" the edge of the allotment.  Began to think I must be mad as it has started to look quite large already and I have hardly anything sown in it yet, so why I am adding another 70cm by 8m strip I don't know!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2014, 17:50 »
Sorted my 1000L IBC tank today next to polytunnel raised it up 2ft high with 4x4 wood and breeze blocks  to gravity feed aquapods in pt,Then clad it in wood sections to look like a pallet compost bin ;),Took pallet fence down behind pt  asit was a bit wonky then put it back up with some posts banged in ground to strenghten it now it looks nice and straight now :D,dug 10 leeks and 5 cabbage :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2014, 18:54 »
Having developed a slightly unnatural obsession for trying to grow French Tarragon over the last few years I ventured into my greenhouse to see whether the plant I dug up to try to overwinter was showing any signs of life. 

Despite not even being watered it's now producing new shoots all around the now brown central stem - might have to buy some chicken soon (or maybe "Le guide pour idiots Anglaise to growing Tarragon Francaise!")
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MrsPea

« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2014, 15:21 »
While in the green house this morning I noticed my Rhubarb was coming up so I put a large flower pot over it to force it up, In the green house I noticed all my fuchsia plants were starting to shoot so they had a bit of tlc as well   :)
I Love my green house

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2014, 16:37 »
Waaaay too windy for the plot today - and looks like torrential rainstorms are predicted for tomorrow ... So, potted up the pineberry runners that dmg sent me (thanks again for them) and put the Lady Christl and Sarpo Mira potatoes that T&M delivered mid-week into egg boxes to chit for a month or two...

Cheers,
Balders

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

63 Replies
Last post June 13, 2024, 17:33
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.98 seconds with 38 queries.