What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Yana

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2014, 08:20 »
Yesterday collected 7 really good condition pallets to build a fence for one side of plot 3. Took them to the plot and measured to check they will fit. Today will cut down and repair old fence panels to go around part of the perimeter of plot 3 behind the shed and then the pallets will continue along that side to the new raspberry bed at the far end of the plot. Compost bins, water butts and the shed form one of the shorter perimeter edges so still have a long edge to do and not sure what to do where the new raspberry bed is (forms the other another perimeter edge).
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

AnneB

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2014, 16:23 »
Did a bit of harvesting.  Gave the leeks a comfrey tea feed, they are still too thin.   Admired our Association's new comtainer, which was delivered this week.   Also admired another plotholder's "new" greenhouse made with recycled double glazing units.  Might copy the design principle.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2014, 16:55 »
Cleared another 2 barrows worth of weeds/roots from the jungle area, cut back lots of bramble ( only a few more scratches on arms and legs). Raked and evened out the recently cleared area ( about 3 m by 7m). Found some more interesting 'pots' for my new rockery/pot area - an old wheelbarrow and a metal dish thing with a handle. May have been used to cook chestnuts? Anyway it looks good in the rockery area now! Collected another 2 bags of stones to go onto the area.

A lot more than I intended to today and now ache all over but a job well done!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2014, 17:02 »
Dismantled an old greenhouse. Never, ever, doing that again. Hastings is surprisingly far away from where I live too. Should have paid more attention in Geography!

Hitman

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2014, 17:14 »
I finally finished off the staging for the wife's greenhouse.  I will try and upload a photo.  The blue racking means the shelves can be removed to allow tall crops to grow through.

It won't win any beauty prizes, but hopefully it will work.

image.jpg

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2014, 18:05 »
One bag of couch grass, one bag of chinese greens and sprouts - covered my early rhubarb with an enormous pot - am going to try to force it (into giving me some produce end of Feb (maybe)).

Was lovely today - no rain - from about 10am the sun actually felt warm on my face. Oddly, nobody else on the site for the first 2 hours I was there ,then one other soul turned up - perhaps the others were saving theirs...

Cheers,
Balders

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2014, 18:27 »
Did a bit of edging around the paths to smarten the place up a bit, chatted with my neighbour, grabbed a handful of sprouts and some chard for tea.  Admired the PSB,

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2014, 19:16 »
Soils is so wet that can't do much with it. Used my azada  to see if I could turn bits over which was fine as far as could reach from paths but the middle is out of reach!!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2014, 19:48 »
It was so wet I could just pull the leeks out without having to get the fork out.  The raised beds are working well though, they have been worth the effort of building.
Anne

Tea Break

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2014, 20:08 »
Finally got down there today, turned a few of the raised beds and dug the manure in. sived one raised bed ready for the carrots to be sow next week. pulled some veg for tea and pulled all the sprouts up so i can start to dig the ground over ready for the onions to go in when they get big enough to be transplanted. did a bit  of digging on some virgin ground at the bottom of the plot( its the side really but it slopes that way. But there again my plot is a square so where is the top or bottom?). This created a nice stream where the water ran off, I reckoned i drained all the plots above me into next doors plot. :ohmy: Dont worry he dose'nt grow or dig it, just keeps ducks on it .Lol :nowink:

Mike
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 20:09 by Tea Break »

john wil

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36 »
 :D it an long now when we all can sit in allotment  with a glass of wine and thinking got to weed that area and plant the rest of the vegges happy days Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
4 tatties feeds 2

Mr Dog

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2014, 14:25 »
Planted some daff bulbs I picked up v cheap - hopefully some will survive and they'll brighten the place up a bit in the spring. Tidied up the 'dump' area - plenty to go to the tip - and spread the last of the bark chippings around the newly made 'storage' area.

Eblana

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2014, 15:25 »
I did the same as Tea Break and dug along the bottom of my plot where it meets the road and has been flooded for weeks now, I back filled it with stone to create a soak away but noticed when I was going home that there was a little stream running from my plot across the road and down into two of the plots below me I won't be popular :(. Cleared one of the beds in the PT ready for the strawberries to go back in.  Harvested swede, parsley, parsnips and kale.  Hoping to get up a couple of times this week.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2014, 20:26 »
First of all i found out that we had a couple more burgalries on site,not mine this time but this lovely elderley lady  next door but one to me someone smashed the lock her shed and took her brand new ryobi 2 stroke tiller,she has never used it yet she let me use it on her plot in october to show her how it worked and was looking foreward to using it this year,so i put  on a  new hasp  staple  and spare lock i had for her she was so upset  so i said ill use my howard rotavator on her plot when she needs it,and there was another elderley  neighbour  she also had her shed broke into nothing taken but everything smashed about so i mended and tidied it up for her till she gets back from holidy in spain.Wish i could catch the horrible b****** vandles who did this,we think its the same person(s) who have been doing this, mine 6 times so far other peoples a few times as well. Then i managed to get the muck turned in in the ploytunnel ready for spuds going in tomorrow,cleared cold frame and dug that over and started to make a fork handle for one of the other plot holders,had enough today then went home.Darren
diggity dig dig

Aled

« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2014, 09:51 »
Sorry to hear about the burglaries.
Really need a period of dry weather before i can dig and manure my plot!
Cheers
Aled

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 37 queries.