What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Yana

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2014, 09:08 »
Yesterday finished digging and rolling out path around raspberry bed on plot 3 and put in raised bed. Finished the wood chip paths on plot 3 and looks lovely. Still a few paving slabs to lay between shed and path and raspberry bed to be planted up.
Note to self - take up remaining carpet tiles on plot 2 and replace with wood chips. Looks so much nicer and softer underfoot.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

grendel

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2014, 12:24 »
finally got to the plot for the first time in months, took the new rotovator and had 1 1/2 hours at the plot, rotovated the whole 1/2 plot and finally planted my garlic.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2014, 12:55 »
Dug another 2 barrows of weeds (mainly bindweed roots) from the jungle area. Only a small section left to clear now - can't wait. I went early so it was still frosty and frozen on the very top which made walking around and digging easier. As I left 2 hours later everything had thawed and it was getting very muddy! I also covered my psb as I think the birds might be eating the edible bit grrr!

Harvested some more leeks and the last of the mutant parsnips.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2014, 15:47 »
My day for helping at the Association shop and the seed potatoes have just come in.  Sold out of Desiree already, but I've got mine, so I'm ok.
Also burnt off lots of calories moving five barrowloads of soil improver up the hill to my plot. Little zizz called for this afternoon, I think.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 15:53 by Annen »
Anne

diospyros

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2014, 16:18 »
Ridiculously excited today to have put up a nest box.  It needed quite a bit of repair and alteration (which I somehow managed to achieve without evicting the hibernating butterfly) but should hopefully now be suitable for great tits.  All part of creating a healthy functioning eco-system (is this starting to sound like permaculture?)

Also met another lovely fellow plotholder, next door but one in fact. He was very impressed with my hedge restoration so possibly I may be doing his bit next winter if we can do something about the half-plot in between us whose owner is only seen about twice a year and is looking a bit neglected.

jaydig

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2014, 16:58 »
Popped to the plot yesterday morning. Lovely sunshine, and it felt quite warm, once I got moving. I planted some gladioli corms from Poundland. I had some of these last year, and because the corms didn't look very big I thought I'd probably have to wait for a year before I got any flowers, but I had a flower spike in every one, and the colours were lovely.
I picked about a thousand pounds of sprouts - not really, but that's what it felt like when I was prepping them for the freezer! Dug up carrots, swedes, parsnips. Pruned autumn raspberries, dug over the bean trench and cut the old leaves off the strawberries. Decided enough was enough when everything started aching, and retreated to fight another day. I was so pleased to have made a start that I felt an inch taller, then I realised it was all the mud on the bottom of my wellies! Went home feeling very self-righteous.
Seed potatoes are in the garden centres and nurseries now, so I've bought mine ready, because last year I left it until February and then couldn't get the varieties I wanted. Tomorrow I plan to sow onion and shallott seeds in the cold greenhouse. Another season under way!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2014, 20:20 »
Went up to lottie today,it cold though,got one of them garden seats with cast iron at the ends it was looking a bit lopsided and green mouldy so took it apart and took it home to refurbish it,ran all the wooden  gaboon slats through the planer/thicknesser  came up lovely ready to  yacht varnish,wirebrushed the cast iron frame ready for hammeriteing it looks like new allready,be nice and neat and tidy for the next ten years :D i'll post some pics, but should have taken some before,i will defo have some for after :lol:
diggity dig dig

Aled

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2014, 10:02 »
Very busy on Saturday, really spent the day clearing around outside i've got a mountain of leaves quietly decomposing near the compost bin to be added as and when. Cleared a load of branches and twigs from the lawn. Gave the compost bin a turn or two as well. Spent time outdoors with the children who i hope are starting to "get" the outdoor bit of life. Did a few errands as well. There's a small wood behind where i live, and i am fortunate that the landowner allows me and the children access there regularly. It always puzzled me why i never saw a woodcock there. Well went for an amble on Saturday and i was really pleased to flush one. Less than 50feet from my back door. :)
Cheers
Aled

Yana

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2014, 18:11 »
Yesterday finished digging and rolling out path around raspberry bed on plot 3 and put in raised bed. Finished the wood chip paths on plot 3 and looks lovely. Still a few paving slabs to lay between shed and path and raspberry bed to be planted up.
Note to self - take up remaining carpet tiles on plot 2 and replace with wood chips. Looks so much nicer and softer underfoot.
And thats just what I did today.
Removed around 60 carpet tiles which were very wet and heavy with green slimy stuff on. Dug out the few remaining bits of bindweed (fingers crossed that should be the last of it) and laid mypex down before covering with wood chips. Fellow plot holder suggested cutting the carpet tiles in half and using them as a path between rows of veggies to stop the weeds.

jmc1949

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2014, 18:20 »
Went this morning and started removing the smaller branches of the tree that fell during the recent storms. Will need a chainsaw for the rest of the tree. At least I can get to the back of the plot now.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2014, 18:49 »
Put some scaff boards in greenhouse for spud beds either side,varnished another handle for sledge hammer,went home and wire brushed cast iron garden seat ready for hammeriteing ;) very nice and warm at lottie sun out all day :)

Totty

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2014, 20:09 »
Got my leeks moved to the greenhouse. 60 need thinning to 30 tomorrow.

Totty
image.jpg
image.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2014, 20:22 »
Emptied the kitchen waste into the now full of manure :wacko: compost bin,dug up some parsnips,leeks & pulled some beetroot,then pruned the Autumn raspberries as much as I could,will need the big loppers for some of them. Had to tread them back in with my heel as they had loosened with wind rock I suppose.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chillimummy

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2014, 21:23 »
Dug up a few leeks which are not a bad size now. Picked some sprouts. Plenty left so probably will need to start freezing them. Pigeons are nibbling leaves!
Removed all yellow leaves from sprouts, PSB and mystery plants ? cauliflower given to me last spring.
Did bit of weeding though very few weeds (lot of hard work before winter :D). Plot still muddy.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2014, 13:31 »
Very soggy plot - bleeping clay base still showing its origins despite loads of manure/compost etc.
Seem to be on the edge of a number of plot holders giving up! Not me so might look for some change.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 37 queries.