What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

peedee555

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2014, 21:59 »
finally got a spade in the ground started a new raised bed had to stop as the ground is still to wet really and wasvery heavy

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2014, 08:02 »
Didn't get to the plot but popped into B&M Store and found 3m plastic hoop cloches reduced to £4.99 and also bought 2 blackcurrant bushes for £3 for both.

Aled

« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2014, 10:32 »
Played with the compost bin, chopped some logs, And looked at the pond which has formed where i used to have a veg patch.
Cheers
Aled

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2014, 12:28 »
Battened down the hatches for tomorrows storm forecast down here.  :(

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2014, 20:38 »
too windy to go today so played with my leek seedlings started so aubergines and did some cress with my kids  :D

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2014, 16:20 »
Broad beans lifted clean out of the ground by the storm, along with some lettuce. My garlic has been decapitated by a low flying shed, but other than that the plot has survived quite well. Greenhouse and shed survive for another day. Will be very glad when this weather has finished.

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2014, 19:53 »
oh dear went to the garden centre to check out grape vines to wet and windy for the plot ..got my vines and bought another greenhouse and seeds ....dont need more seeds !!!!!! plz keep me away from these places i blame the rain ,fine day im not there ::)

AnneB

« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2014, 20:07 »
Got half way there and turned round when the heavens opened with strong winds too.   Luckily the postman had been, bearing gifts of a greenhouse catalogue.  It is to be my retirement present to myself for the garden.   It wouldn't last 5 minutes at the allotment.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2014, 20:16 »
My plot is still far to wet to do anything just have to wait on Mother Nature .
I will be setting some seeds away at home then transplanting later when the weather improves.
I have been missing from this site for a while as I picked up on An old hobby photography and it has kind of taken over my spare time but at least I can take the camera to the garden had some great shots of plants and wildlife.
I can't wait to get back to the plot although the weeds have been kept at bay I need to reflect the roof on my shed just one of the many jobs that need doing.
Happy gardening john

John
A gardeners work is never done.

Yana

« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2014, 18:46 »
Drained the water butt that collects water from the shed roof. Second time in 10 days.
Parsnips have disappeared completely so will be fun trying to find them if it dries up enough to dig some out.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2014, 19:06 »
Finished cleaning out greenhouse, finished laying slabs for greenhouse floor,  sorting through seedbox, whilst watching the rain (yet again), started building a raft, may need it soon  ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 19:09 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2014, 20:44 »
Turned over a bed ready for parsnips,secured windows in pt (taped them up)put some coco and pebbles in pt for mulch around onions and garlic,swept greenhouse floor slabs, :) put bubblewrap over spuds in pt before they come through to warm up a bit :)
diggity dig dig

diospyros

« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2014, 10:15 »
Put some very old green manure seeds to sprout to see if it will be worth sowing them later on.  Then went up the plot with some equally old broad beans to fill out round the ones I sowed in autumn, and in the process blocked off one of the mini paths to make more of a keyhole bed.  Did a bit of spot weeding and moved some brandlings from one bin of muck to a newer one.  Suddenly realised the neglected half plot next door had been covered in tarpaulin and deduced it has been taken over by the nice bloke the other side.  Then was just about to leave and realised my rhubarb was all sprouting up so had to go and coo over that.

Birds all singing, spring definitely in the air, will no doubt chuck it down with rain later today and be dumping snow by end of next week but an aura of optimism today!

And then on the way back from shopping I decided to go to a small local garden centre just to look round, and was shocked to find they are closing down :ohmy: So everything was 20% off.  So I bought 6 3" lavenders, a Gaultheria procumbens (was looking for G shallon) and a hop for the hedge.  And two flexi trugs.  And went back up the allotment and planted them all (except the flexi trugs) and then did another hour of weeding.

It can rain tomorrow now if it wants to.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 16:13 by diospyros »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2014, 17:39 »
The standing water has gone but the soil is still very squelchy, so potted up the onion sets into trays of compost.

While in the greenhouse I sowed some carrot seeds in a box, some chitted sweet peas into pots.

I had a review of my seeds... Oh dear, I've got three kinds of peas when I had more or less decided not to grow any this year and two kinds of runner beans!  I'm sure somebody comes along and sneaks all these extra seeds into the box when I'm not looking! :nowink:
Anne

AnneB

« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2014, 19:02 »
Had a really good few hours at the plot this morning. Dug over a couple of beds and weeded the rest.  Still very wet at the bottom of the plot, but OK at the top.   Pruned out the dead raspberry canes.   Gave the broad beans, the onions, leeks and garlic a good dose of comfrey tea.  Then it started to hail and I came home.  Got very muddy.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.565 seconds with 36 queries.