Where do you buy your garlic from?

• 22 Replies

Becky-Lou

Where do you buy your garlic from?
« on: August 25, 2013, 13:48 »
Hello All!

It's that happy time of year when I settle down to contemplate ordering next year's garlic (garlic is definitely my favourite thing to grow!).  Where do you all buy your bulbs for planting?  I have been looking at the usual suspects (Marshalls, etc. ) but the prices seem a bit on the steep side to me.

Thanks in advance  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Where do you buy your garlic from?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 15:09 »
Just bear in mind that you can save some of the harvest to plant for the following year, so it is worth buying decent stock to start with  ;)

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 16:40 »
Tesco or a greengrocer.
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 17:05 »
Tesco or a greengrocer.

Yes, you can but you stand the risk of introducing white rot to you plot. Seed garlic is certified as disease free ;)

allot2learn

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 17:11 »
I've just ordered 4 bulbs of solent wight off fleabay for £4.99 + £2.50 delivery.  :)

Steveharford

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 17:48 »
I've just ordered a batch from the garlic farm. Not cheap at 4 bulbs for£10 but quality is important. No point in planting little cloves. I'm hoping and expecting that they will be a decent size. I also save the biggest bulbs from my harvest and will be planting only the biggest cloves from those also.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 18:33 »
Mum's right on both counts - the initial cost isn't so important given that you can easily save bulbs for re-planting cloves from the following year.

I did get away with growing supermarket garlic donated by my neighbours, but I have "compensated" by growing it from saved cloves for the last 3 years to avoid pushing my luck. 

It's really not worth the risk though - white rot is very hard to get rid of once you've got it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:59 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 18:52 »
Mum's right on both counts - the initial cost isn't so important given that you can easily save bulbs for re-planting cloves from the following year.

I did get away with growing supermarket garlic donated by my neighbours, but I got away with it and have "compensated" by growing it from saved cloves for the last 3 years to avoid pushing my luck. 

It's really not worth the risk though - white rot is very hard to get rid of once you've got it.

Opps! When I was on holiday in Florence last July, I bought some lovely organic Italian garlic of different varieties from a local supermarket there! I hope I won't be introducing any problems to my plot. It won't affect the whole plot but just that particular bed, am I right?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 19:04 »
There are two issues really - you simply have no way of knowing if the bulbs were disease-free, and although white rot doesn't spread in the wind in the same way potato blight does, for instance, it's very persistent in the soil and easily spread around via gardening tools, wellies, or whatever.

(Not sure which July you are referring to and therefore whether you have already grown them - if you have, just keep your eyes peeled even more than the garlic!)

seaside

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 19:18 »
With a view to the biggest allium problem of all, white rot, where does this disease free certification of garlic bulbs at huge expense, fit in with other alliums we all purchase every year ?  I'm obviously thinking of most onion sets on sale that rarely,  if ever, state they are white rot free ? Does anyone know if they are ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 19:52 »
That's a surprisingly big subject Seaside - we live in a strange world now and if you dig deeper you may be like me and find yourself wondering whether "certification" means a great deal more than just "being in possession of the 'relevant' certificate!"

It still has to be a good idea to do what you can to minimise the risk of introducing disease from growing any sort of bought-in plant material though.

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 20:04 »
I bought them this July JayG. Not sowed them yet but thinking of doing so maybe mid September.  :blush:

seaside

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 21:03 »
That's a surprisingly big subject Seaside - we live in a strange world now and if you dig deeper you may be like me and find yourself wondering whether "certification" means a great deal more than just "being in possession of the 'relevant' certificate!"

It still has to be a good idea to do what you can to minimise the risk of introducing disease from growing any sort of bought-in plant material though.

Thanks for your candid comment JayG, and yes, it's a huge subject that is all too common these days. My nose is still as accurate as ever.
Plot health is all important, who could disagree with that ? Hence my comments regarding onion sets.

There seems to be certain industry led cultural gossip norms where certain products like garlic have somehow managed some sort of faux soil health reasoning for cornering a "certified" market that doesn't apply to the far more ubiquitous onion set.... or young leek plants, for that matter that could have been grown in a white rot infected medium, with no check whatsoever. And with garlic, unlike potato, there is no possibility of citing it as an important "staple" food crop to enable such a certification.
I don't grow garlic anymore, I no longer eat enough of it or use enough as a plant aid to bother. But if I did, I know what I would do faced with a choice of spending £10 for 4 "certified" bulbs, or £1 for 4 supermarket bulbs.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 21:25 by seaside »

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 23:54 »
Some supermarket bulbs are treated with an antisprouting agent.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18 »
I've ordered mine from http://www.simplyseed.co.uk.  2bulbs for £2 or 3 packs for £5, then £2 pp.  They deliver in Sept so will plant them once they arrive.  Also saved some larger cloves to plant from random ones that I grew last year from supermarket/organic veg box, they all did pretty well.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
What's up with this garlic??

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 22:15
by leeks r us

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 31 queries.