Where do you buy your garlic from?

• 22 Replies

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
Re: Where do you buy your garlic from?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 08:25 »
I've ordered mine from http://www.simplyseed.co.uk.  2bulbs for £2 or 3 packs for £5, then £2 pp.  They deliver in Sept so will plant them once they arrive.

I think I will follow your lead - last years effort from Wilkos was awful.  I might start mine in modules as well so I know what I've got prior to planting out
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

wighty

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51 »
We will be going past the Garlic Farm this morning and will stop off and see how much they cost to buy direct from their shop and see if there is any difference in price. I'll let you know.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 19:34 »
The Really Garlicky Company.

http://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 21:39 »
Suspect I will not bother this year, immaterial of the source I find the results poor.

One point in "defence" of Tesco is their buyers have a probably more reason for making sure the purchased item is disease free. To prevent white rot I would have thought that somewhere like IoW would have had to spray and treat their crop quite extensively. Lets face it a garlic farm the size of their place is white rot heaven. :ohmy: :ohmy:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 06:30 »
Recently a number of seed stockists have been updating their websites and sending e-mails of "free p&p" to tempt you to reset accounts - I WAS originally looking to buying some more early maturing garlic varieties as these seem to do a lot better on my plot than late maturing like Music.  However, I got tempted by DT Brown's Spanish Rocambole Wight  ::) (£4.95p for 2), but while there also got some Early Purple Wight (£4.25p for 2) to compliment the Illico I usually grow, a very early maturing bulb which Suttons no longer seem to be selling  :( - luckily I've kept using my own saved bulbs!

Suspect I will not bother this year, immaterial of the source I find the results poor.

as mentioned above, why not try an early maturing garlic before giving up - they seem to mature before any usual problems that affect later ones  ;)

wighty

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 11:45 »
We went to the Garlic Farm and in the shop it's any four bulbs of your choice for £10.  I suppose I saved on p & p but then there was the petrol to go three miles down the road. :D

seaside

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 12:40 »
White rot is a bit chicken and egg in some ways, and one can never be sure these days if any allium bulb purchased is a potential further infection.
So, as my onion crops are important to me, not growing garlic is one less potential source of rot. A shame really as I did like to grow it. But garlic is cheap enough to buy for the amount I use. There are also copious amounts of wild garlic to be harvested out and about in the first half of the year.
Given the disappointing 15% rot loss of onions this year, I guess it's time I now started to grow onions from seed as a further precaution, rather than sets. Oh well, more work.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 14:28 »
Ordered some from simply seeds today
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic

Started by anarcistwindowcleaner on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 14:17
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 28 queries.